How To Spec Amp Parts

dfrattaroli

Hey guys,

I've got my DSL on the bench and while I'm chasing down some intermittent static, I want to make some changes based on stuff I've been reading. For example, a common mod/fix is to replace C46 in the DSL. The stock capacitor is a ceramic disc rated at 22pF and 500V. The recommendation is to replace it with one rated at 22pF and 1000V.

My question is: Can I just go to Mouser.com and pick any ceramic disc with the rating I need regardless of brand? I just want to be sure I'm not making any obvious mistakes.

Thanks.
Dave

Yes, that should be fine. You will want something that has similar lead spacing. I doubt it is even seeing any high voltage with that small of a value cap. Silver mica might be a better way to go. I've heard a lot lately about ceramics not being the best choice for audio.

PatF":2bztgrj7 said:
Yes, that should be fine. You will want something that has similar lead spacing. I doubt it is even seeing any high voltage with that small of a value cap. Silver mica might be a better way to go. I've heard a lot lately about ceramics not being the best choice for audio.

Thanks. That's what I was trying to determine: Whether a ceramic could be replaced by another type of cap.

dfrattaroli":1v1vvt03 said:
PatF":1v1vvt03 said:

Thanks. That's what I was trying to determine: Whether a ceramic could be replaced by another type of cap.

ceramic and silver mica will sound different (at least in some critical spots in an amp). Grab some of each type and try em out if you want to experiment.

Yeah, different brands have subtle differences in tone. You might want to get the parts from the guitar electronics distributor since they would stock parts that tend to sound "warmer".

I ended having a tech on Marshallheads.com send me his Mouser project that contained basically all the caps for a DSL 100. I ended up ordering all of them just in case I needed them. Started putting in the filter caps yesterday.

Back