Dry capacitors by spragur?

hopkinWFG

Does anyone here know if these old dry tantalum capacitors can be a direct replacement for those normal electrolytic wet types?

Any tonal changes if i were to replace these dry tantalum to those wet type?

Attachments

• 20170126_165802.jpg
    20170126_165802.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 1,258
shouldn't notice any tonal change as long as the values are the same...tone does not pass through a cap, it just shunts certain frequencies to ground depending upon it's value.

The thing to consider is whether it's value will drift when things heat up. I can't answer that question.

thunda":2fgxam5p said:
shouldn't notice any tonal change as long as the values are the same...tone does not pass through a cap, it just shunts certain frequencies to ground depending upon it's value.

The thing to consider is whether it's value will drift when things heat up. I can't answer that question.

Thanks buddy.... think i get these tantalum caps replaced with those normal electrolytic caps.... btw sorry i did a search this is more likely to be a wet tantalum aluminium cap...

Depends on where the cap is being placed in the circuit as to whether you'll hear any differences. Capacitors have characteristics like ESR, inductance, resistance, a percent tolerance of value accuracy, etc.

When introduced into a circuit, a different component having these different characteristics can affect the frequency response in a different manner. Not so much because of the material, but because of these different electronic characteristics inherent to it.

I will say that tantalums are stupid sensitive to correct polarity - to the point of violently exploding if the polarity is incorrectly crossed. Electrolytics are also polarized, but depending on where they are installed in a circuit, the polarization won't harm them.

glpg80":ftyop289 said:
Depends on where the cap is being placed in the circuit as to whether you'll hear any differences. Capacitors have characteristics like ESR, inductance, resistance, a percent tolerance of value accuracy, etc.

When introduced into a circuit, a different component having these different characteristics can affect the frequency response in a different manner. Not so much because of the material, but because of these different electronic characteristics inherent to it.

I will say that tantalums are stupid sensitive to correct polarity - to the point of violently exploding if the polarity is incorrectly crossed. Electrolytics are also polarized, but depending on where they are installed in a circuit, the polarization won't harm them.

I'd say material too. I had a long chats with Cameron and Fortin about this... Even Bogner uses specific caps in areas. Don't shoot the messenger :D

Yes, dielectric material in caps is very important when using the caps for frequncy shaping in cathode or coupling applications. There is a shape to the knee or frequency cutoff point, and different materials will have different resonance characteristics around the knee, greatly affecting the tone. For example, swap out a .68uf or 1uf electrolytic cap for the same value metalized film or polyester cap at the cathode of v1 and the results will surprise you. You can also have some fun changing the cheap ceramic disc bright cap on the gain pot to the same value film cap. Sometimes it's better, sometimes not, but it does sound different.

fusedbrain":312bct7v said:
Yes, dielectric material in caps is very important when using the caps for frequncy shaping in cathode or coupling applications. There is a shape to the knee or frequency cutoff point, and different materials will have different resonance characteristics around the knee, greatly affecting the tone. For example, swap out a .68uf or 1uf electrolytic cap for the same value metalized film or polyester cap at the cathode of v1 and the results will surprise you. You can also have some fun changing the cheap ceramic disc bright cap on the gain pot to the same value film cap. Sometimes it's better, sometimes not, but it does sound different.

+1

psychodave":12et0c38 said:
glpg80":12et0c38 said:

I'd say material too. I had a long chats with Cameron and Fortin about this... Even Bogner uses specific caps in areas. Don't shoot the messenger :D

Less about the material, more about the permittivity of the material. Semantics :D

Back