Tube Amplifier Troubleshooting tips

Cutting off standby had a weird high frequency whine and when my hand got near the control pots it changed and when I tapped the amp head top I could hear it amplified, ?
Ah unplugged effects loop pedal board went in amp guitar jack strait in and it was normal again.
Plugged everything back in and it was normal , what ?

The FX SEND & RETURN jacks are switching jacks that switch off , but sometimes when you unplug the send it does not switch off due to dust or bad contact.
Unplug and plug into several times too clean them up shiny again !

Lucky me for my sanity I found out that jacks go berserk and are cursed with weird results way back !
Inputs and out puts need to be cared for or the cursed thingy will go berserk and its your fault anyway !

I never heard a whole amp that went microphonic before by touching or almost touching the pitch changed !
That send input had no where to go , it went everywhere but weak and high pitched whine changed lower when you move near it !
Electrons have to flow we know that at least . quickly I cut it off .
The Rebel 30 is fine and never did that again , I am careful with the inputs now !

Tube amp tips can be dirt simple , Voicing the preamp NOS 12ax7 .

Fender sound to heavy rock & blues is your choice but your amp circuit and how they respond can be difficult !
Clean channel - I like vintage Tungsram or Mullard 12ax7
Semi Clean channel pushed a bit with some breakup - RCA long black plate 12ax7 colorful tone that's amazing midrange !
Blues southern rock - vintage Tungsram 12ax7 or Sylvania long shiny plate 12ax7

Crunchy rock - use your ears the New Tungsol 12ax7 can do it well.
Sovtek 12ax7Lps tube is the best sounding phase inverter for distortion is closest tube 12ax7 usually to the power tubes
Gain above that is 5150 amp insane gained 6 - 12ax7 tube cascade preamp design so use what ears you have left .
Heavy gained up mayhem rock.
Listen too it when you pants legs flap and the normal adrenalin flow is there !
It feels good its good , you did it !!!!

Trust your ears , if it sounds right your there simple !
Tip keep your bass tight and your guitar can go more places than before !

Back