How to repair lifted pad/trace on PCB

lespaul6

What is the best method for fixing a lifted pad under one of the input jack (Cliff) legs of a marshall pcb ? Just the pad is gone.. it was torn from the rest of the trace.
Ive heard that you attach a small piece of lead cut from a cap or resistor and connect it to the board somehow? do you glue it to the board and then solder both ends to make contact with the leg and the trace?

Do you buy some sort of conductive paint and make a new trace and install the input jack?

whats the best way to insure long life?

and explain it to me like i'm 5... I'm not a tech guy :rock:

Normally you scrape the surface of a trace with a razor blade to expose the copper at some other location, solder a wire to it, and run the wire to the component flying lead style. If you're lifting traces, then there isn't much else which can be done.

hopkinWFG":5cla0l8s said:
I seen a video of how its being salvaged but havent been doing it so far... but anyway here is a good video of it and maybe you may wanna do abit of practise on elsewhere first before attempting the real deal?

https://youtu.be/cTnVg6Pmf-U

Yup, that video is pretty much what ya need to do. Good example actually.
Good luck with the repair!

You can also use a small bus wire soldered to the leg of the component and just jumper it to the next pad in the circuit if it's close enough. You can follow the trace. :thumbsup: I prefer this over scraping but sometimes you have no alternative.

I ended up using a small wire to the next place on the board...It seems to be more solid and reliable for many years to come... thanks all!

lespaul6":dp6dli1e said:
I ended up using a small wire to the next place on the board...It seems to be more solid and reliable for many years to come... thanks all!
Easiest thing to do. If you look at some modded amps you will see quite a bit of this jumpering.

Back