Swapping out Stock Gibson PAF with EMG 81-85?

I have a 2012 Les Paul Standard Gold top I want to change pickups to EMG Actives (81-85). I've looked at quite a few conversions but it seems no one knows how to do it leaving the pick guard in place and if there are any special bezels needed.

I have changed out a ton of stock PUs on everything but a Les Paul so I'm asking if anyone knows if I'm going to run into any issues with bezel size or if I need to modify the pick guard after the change.

I do have a Les Paul Studio that was converted to EMGs before I purchased it and it does not have the original pick guard on it (it does have holes drilled) so I am thinking they could not get the stock pick guard back on it after the change.

With the exception of the PU change, I would like the guitar to still look stock. If anyone has done this mod themselves and knows of anyplace I would be able to get any parts for the conversion, I'd like to know.

At first I thought you were talking about an original PAF, which I would never swap out , unless I was selling it, then I would buy a Les Paul with the money I made.

I converted a guitar recently from passives to EMG 81 /85's and the emg's used standard pickup rings, so I don't see why it should be a problem.
Biggest hassle is all the pots have to be 25k, and it's going to be fun getting the 9-volt battery to fit in the control cavity. Do-able, but a pain in the ass.

fusedbrain":21q71nd7 said:
I converted a guitar recently from passives to EMG 81 /85's and the emg's used standard pickup rings, so I don't see why it should be a problem.
Biggest hassle is all the pots have to be 25k, and it's going to be fun getting the 9-volt battery to fit in the control cavity. Do-able, but a pain in the ass.

Got it, thanks for the reply! I have another Paul to use as a roadmap for wiring so I can duplicate what is in there.

eh, you just swap the output jack for the stereo jack and the pots for the active value pots, you MAY need to get long shaft pot for atleast two of the pots but if you get them as a set i'm pretty sure atleast one of the sets come with long pots. (stereo jack {for the battery} and the pots are always included, just cna't remember if emg pots are long shaft or short shaft by default its been a good 15 years since i've used em)

the pick guard attaches to the body not the pick up rings on a LP

Not a real P.I.T.A to get the battery in, normally much room left, creatively placed Velcro loops will keep it in place on the shield plate.

They'll fit fine. You'll need the long shaft 25k pots and a stereo jack... but otherwise you are good to go.

Back