Capacitors: Mallory 150s vs IC/CDE MPW

FourT6and2

Has anybody compared these in an amp build? Or, hell has anybody used the IC/CDE MPWs? Mallory 150s = polyester, MPWs = metallized polypropylene.

I'm about to start a build and while I do have both types on hand, I don't really want to install the 150s and then swap them all out to MPWs, just to switch them all back again. So I figure maybe one of you has already played the part of the guinea pig haha.

IC/CDE MPW: http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/88/MPW%20series-553003.pdf
Mallory 150: http://www.cde.com/resources/catalogs/150.pdf

I didn't do a comparison yet but used some of the advice from the last thread with you guys were talking about these caps. I used the newer Sozo's in the preamp, 150's in the PI and power amp, and an Illinois on the presence. Basic 50W Marshall I finished a few days ago. Worked out really well.

PatF":1t2ir28f said:
I didn't do a comparison yet but used some of the advice from the last thread with you guys were talking about these caps. I used the newer Sozo's in the preamp, 150's in the PI and power amp, and an Illinois on the presence. Basic 50W Marshall I finished a few days ago. Worked out really well.

Cool, thanks. :)

Clips?

Photos?

I'm always interested to see other people's builds.

I have a homebrew 50W that I did some Jose-type stuff to that was built years ago with orig Sozos. I've had the Synergys to swap out but haven't gotten to it. I hope to do it this weekend. I know you didn't ask about Sozos/Synergys but might be helpful. I'll try to make clips but unless I figger out my interface/computer weirdness only iphone clips. IIRC, Friedman and others have said the Synergys make a difference (exactly what you'd expect him to say tho). My Friedman/Racksystems modded 800 had the white Mallories in it.

I'm not really a fan of the SoZo caps just because of all the hype and marketing behind them. I don't really care about "vintage correct." I'll leave that to the guys trying to recreate exact clones of 50-year-old amps, down to the color of wire. If they sound good, that's another story. But right now I'm more interested in Mallory 150 vs IC MPW. Seems like nobody has really compared them, though.

Back