Modding amps; 5150 series

thenewexhibit

Hello! I'm not sure if I'm in the right area of the boards for this or not, but it seemed like it. :D I have been wondering lately.. I have a 5150 2 that I've had for such a long time now. One of the things I've noticed lately is when I get to play an original 5150 (block letter or signature), I always like the tone better. It seems tighter in the low end, yet fuller, less fizz, clearer, yet more aggressive. All good things! haha It got me to thinking about selling off my MK 2 for a MK 1 since I always seem to like the sound of the original more so (for the lead channel anyway). Then it got me to thinking about mods, and some people say that the MK 2 can be modded to sound like the original.

Does anybody know if this is the case? If it is a matter of just a few small parts, would this actually sound and respond just like a MK 1, or would it be reminiscent but not fully there because the build isn't the same as the MK 1?

As cheap as 5150s are, it might be cheaper and easier to just buy one. I've never compared them but I have a block 5150 that I don't play much at all but enjoy it when I want that tone. But I'd get so little for it I just keep it around for occasional use.

-I don't know the circuit changes between the 2,... but as a fan of old PEAVEY high gainer's, I know they all suffer from the same thing,.... they're all biased ice cold, and unless it has the EL34-6L6 tube option, there won't be enough sweep in the trim pots to get it in range, a bias mod is needed, usually this is all that is needed, then if you still want to make circuit & voicing changes there's a lot of simple mod's you can do.

-hit the Peavey forum, lots of great info there

Back