Soldano SLO LDR location

SpiderWars":3brm95za said:
I'm not certain but I believe you have them exactly reversed. In other words, your 1-2-3-4 is actually LDR4-LDR3-LDR2-LDR1. But LR1 and 2 might be reversed (just because LDR1 is closer to the ground trace). LDR2 is one of the two on the right. Just look for the one that does NOT have one of it's signal legs grounded (LDRs have two signal legs and two switching legs to turn it on/off). The one with the grounded signal leg is LDR1. Which brings up the next issue.

LDR1 is there to shunt the Lead channel signal to ground when in Crunch/Clean mode. So if it is working, there shouldn't be any lead signal to bleed back into the Clean. If you have a multi-meter, you can easily check this by checking the ungrounded leg on LDR1 to ground while the amp is on (it can be on standby for this). Now switch channels back and forth and you should see that leg go from 0ohms to 'no connection'.

Hi. Problem is that no ldr has 0R in on state, for 5c1, resistance vary around 50-150R, so it doesn't shunt signal to ground completely, just attenuate way down, but given that there are several subsequent gain stages... yes, with gain cranked on OD channel there's enough bleed.

Best solution which I wouldn't recommend for a SLO is to replace ldrs with relays. But it will hurt resale value, so leave that one for JCA100 etc. Next one, not perfect but good enough, is to add another ldr between OD gain pot wiper and ground lug. It won't affect amount of gain avaible or pot's law because resistance in off state is somewhere around 50M.

Back