Le Bass with Le Li-Ion accu PSU

Muldor

Hi all,

Just bought a le Bass, love it too much to leave it at home during gigs.

The problem with that: I play a lot in theaters with questionable 220V AC. All kinds of dirt coming in my fx pedals, I guess most of you know what I'm talking about.

As a bass player it can be a bit annoying having a 50 Hz hum in your signal, especially since 'some' of the inhouse techs think they can solve that problem by turning down the low freq response of my bass on their mixing desks, an approach I really like to avoid since I lack the communication skills to explain to them in good understanding that by turning down the LF in my signal they ruin all the fundamentals in my playing (picture unshaven chain smoking moustache & glasses wearing bear gulping FOH genius and me patiently questioning his infinite wisdom).

At home I have a nice voodoo labs PSU, but for gigging I was thinking if the le Bass would accept a Li Ion accu of 12.8 volts, since it can deliver a wee bit more after being fully charged (14 volt or so, rapidly dropping after some use). Nice thing, these accu's have 10AH, with some 9V LDO's I can also run the rest of my stomp boxes without ever have to resort to the wall outlets.

But can the le Bass accept the unregulated power of such an accu? I understand it scales the power up to 200 volts internal (great, real tube sound, no starved pentode) so offering just a little more volts could up those 200 v's considerable if not regulated internally.

Anyone experience with this scenario?

Thanks,

Nick Mulder

I'm not sure i follow what an "accu" is.

Your problem stems from needing a power conditioner for your rig to filter out the AC noise riding in the mains supply lines. What you also don't know is whether any defective devices plugged into that breaker box are also causing instantaneous spikes in the supply voltage which are damaging and dangerous. Furman is a good source for them and I recommend all devices - both amplifiers and effects - run through them to clean up the AC source and prevent spikes from reaching you or your gear.

A voodoo labs PSU will remove noise from the AC signal you're sending into the amplifier, but it won't solve the problem of the noise being added to your signal within the amplifier.

Back