Connecting 16 ohm cab + 8 ohm cab to 1 amp / re-wiring 8ohm

Rog

Hi guys, newbie here! :)

So here's the thing: I have an Orange OR15 connected to an Orange 4x12 cab (which has 4 16ohm V30 speakers).

I've now bought an empty 4x12 cabinet next to the Orange cab and still had 2 8ohm Greenbacks lying around. I've also bought 2 additional 8ohm speakers to put in the 4x12 (still needs to be wired...). So basically I now have 1 (Orange) cabinet filled with 4 16ohm speakers and 1 new cabinet filled with 4 8ohm speakers.
Something tells me this wasn't a very smart idea. :confused:

I'd love to connect both cabs to the OR15 (It has 2 8ohm outputs and 1 16ohm output)

1) Is there a possibility to wire the cab with 4 8ohm speakers to 16ohm? That way I would have 2 16ohm cabs.
Am I correct this would be the perfect match for connecting both cabs?

2) If 1) is not possible, is there another way to hook up these 2 cabs to the amp?

I'd be very happy to hear your suggestions, I feel like an idiot right now...

Cheers, Rogier

Thank you for your reply!

So there's absolutely no way I can connect both cabs to the amp? How about rewiring the cab with 16ohm speakers to 8 ohm then?

Thanks for your reply!

So...no possibilities at all for connecting both cabs to the amp? Rewiring the 16ohm Orange cab perhaps?

If you have 1 16-ohm cab and 1 8-ohm cab, you *could* run both. This would result in a net impedance of 5.3 ohms, which *could* be used with your amp by plugging each into the two 8-ohm outputs. It's a slight mismatch, but not too far off. Best case, you lose a little volume. Worst case, you could blow a tube or a transformer. I seriously doubt that would happen, but do this at your own risk.

Also, if you do this, be aware that the 8-ohm cab will be louder than the 16-ohm cab.

Thank you ChurchHill!
I'll think I'll give it a try and see if the difference in volume is bearable.
Now to wire the thing...

Best thing to do in this situation is to replace the speakers in the 8 ohm cab with their 16 ohm counterparts and sell the 8 ohms. I wouldnt trust the mismatch. Not worth risking the amp.

Back