Mercury Magnetics Transformers

NewReligion

So I never cared for Mercury Magnetic Transformers in the past as they always seemed to make the Marshalls take on a Randall Smith (Mesa Boogie) tone and feel but this PT with Sylvania USA 6550 Power Tubes, Mustard and Sprague caps floats my boat. I have to keep this build.

Thoughts?

David...♫

Cool, great feedback. Well I know I talked with my friend Mark Cameron and he seems to think MM are quite special and suggested I try a OT. The last 3 that came through my shop I did not care for but I may give it a shot under my hand (ear).

David...♫

I only have my Soldano Avenger to go by, but it sounds really good with the stock Mercury transformer.

Sounds awesome. Nice power tubes. I believe Classictone Iron to be just as good as MM for a lot cheaper. The veteran amp builders whose opinion I value most say the yellow Mallory 150 series caps are more linear than Sprague OD or TAD Mustard, producing a thicker sound in coupling and HPF applications, and again for less money. Video comparisons verify it. Lotta hype in electric guitar land. If you do decide to change to Mallory 150 caps, the amp may sound a bit warmer, and smoother if used in BPF or LPF places. It's a judgment call.

I've never been able to A/B a MM OT with any other, but every amp that I've tried with MM transformers sounds very modern with a lot of low mid emphasis and high headroom. Also very bold, tight and punchy but perhaps not as touch sensitive or detailed as others built with more vintage inspired transformer designs. I've always wondered if this is a trademark of the MM or the amps themselves that had MM installed. Any thoughts ?

thegame":1kpoxyn4 said:
I've never been able to A/B a MM OT with any other, but every amp that I've tried with MM transformers sounds very modern with a lot of low mid emphasis and high headroom. Also very bold, tight and punchy but perhaps not as touch sensitive or detailed as others built with more vintage inspired transformer designs. I've always wondered if this is a trademark of the MM or the amps themselves that had MM installed. Any thoughts ?

As the OP I agree with this 100%. It is what I was thinking. I do not care for the OT. PT is not a bid deal as long as the voltage is there IMO.

NewReligion":q7iv6qpj said:
thegame":q7iv6qpj said:

As the OP I agree with this 100%. It is what I was thinking. I do not care for the OT. PT is not a bid deal as long as the voltage is there IMO.

To tie in with that, the OT is more responsible for the tone than the PT, correct ? Does the PT have more influence on the feel?

thegame":1jhgqewk said:
NewReligion":1jhgqewk said:
thegame":1jhgqewk said:

To tie in with that, the OT is more responsible for the tone than the PT, correct ? Does the PT have more influence on the feel?

AFAIK, the PT can affect the "Sag" if it's underpowered. It can also be more or less noisy, and the different supplies can possible interfere with each other depending on the design, which may create some phase cancellations. The OT also has a big affect on feel. The quality of the Steel affects how it compresses and how much low level distortion "fizz" there is. A lower quality OT can be preferable if you like the feel and sound.

thegame":3f6nz71p said:
NewReligion":3f6nz71p said:
thegame":3f6nz71p said:

Correct IMO. For Marshall replacements are use classic tone as they kick ass.

This is my personal amp not for reoroduction. It is based on a Cameron Cantrell/Modern Mod. Classic Tone Iron.

psychodave":3pulq1xb said:
I like how the MM’s stay together at crazy high volumes. I rarely play super loud though.

Classictone makes two JMP/JCM800 OT types. The thicker 2.2k Ohm upgrade "project" version might be more like the MM you speak of for a lot less money. More Iron = less compression.

I don't know if it's the MM trannies, other circuit components, or a combination, but the Wizard MCII I have is extremely punchy, detailed/articulate, tight, and modern in tone and feel FWIW.

I replaced the OT to a (MM)& installed a 9 Henry Choke (MM) in my Orange Dual Terror and WOW it's like you took the Blanket OFF ! I Can't Recommend It Enough !!! :rock:

Back