Need Advice: Volume and Tone POTS

Purpletele

I am putting together the misc. parts for my remodeled Charvel.

The body just came out of the oven at MJT, so it will be a few more weeks.

I have a San Dimas style body with a SD Alnico II in the neck and an SD Custom Custom in the bridge.

Can anyone advise me on the value of the two pots, and should the pots be a special brand or type.

Thanks

BV

Both should be 500kA. I like the Bourns 82 pots for volume but they are expensive. Only hurts once though. For tone pots I like no-load, the ones I use are CTS. The two pots will feel different but I love the feel of the Bourns 82 for volume, very low-resistance and smooth and I like the tone pot to be a little stiffer so it works for me.

SpiderWars":1tyoqynx said:
Both should be 500kA. I like the Bourns 82 pots for volume but they are expensive. Only hurts once though. For tone pots I like no-load, the ones I use are CTS. The two pots will feel different but I love the feel of the Bourns 82 for volume, very low-resistance and smooth and I like the tone pot to be a little stiffer so it works for me.

Perfect, thank you

BV

Typically, I use RS Guitarworks pots, which are basically custom-taper CTS pots. They're stiffer than the Bourns, but that's just my preference (I used to bump the knob too much and accidentally change it, so I got used to playing with stiffer pots). There's nothing inherently different with either high or low tension, just a preference thing.

Regardless of your perference, I think that the difference in performance between "cheap" pots and more costly options is usually worth it. I wouldn't have believed that it could benefit the tone that much until I heard it myself. I think that they feel better (whether high or low mechanical resistance), last longer, and really do sound better. I think part of that is the custom taper that spreads the response over a larger range, as opposed to pots that are either mostly off or all the way up, if you know what I mean.

Like SpiderWars, I prefer no-load tone pots, too. Since you're changing pots, you might want to take a look at your tone cap, too. There are many options other than the typical ceramic disks. Some can be pretty spendy, but IMHO, even $0.25 Orange Drops sound better.

Just BTW, I love the SD Alnico II Pro neck with the Custom Custom bridge. My favorite Duncans!!

ChurchHill":29ysdgqf said:
Typically, I use RS Guitarworks pots, which are basically custom-taper CTS pots. They're stiffer than the Bourns, but that's just my preference (I used to bump the knob too much and accidentally change it, so I got used to playing with stiffer pots). There's nothing inherently different with either high or low tension, just a preference thing.

Regardless of your perference, I think that the difference in performance between "cheap" pots and more costly options is usually worth it. I wouldn't have believed that it could benefit the tone that much until I heard it myself. I think that they feel better (whether high or low mechanical resistance), last longer, and really do sound better. I think part of that is the custom taper that spreads the response over a larger range, as opposed to pots that are either mostly off or all the way up, if you know what I mean.

Like SpiderWars, I prefer no-load tone pots, too. Since you're changing pots, you might want to take a look at your tone cap, too. There are many options other than the typical ceramic disks. Some can be pretty spendy, but IMHO, even $0.25 Orange Drops sound better.

Just BTW, I love the SD Alnico II Pro neck with the Custom Custom bridge. My favorite Duncans!!

Thanks, I have no problem paying a few extra dollars for nice parts. I am getting stoked about the new guitar build.

ChurchHill":3nr9x5hm said:

Is this correct? https://rs-guitarworks.myshopify.com/co ... rpot-short

Back