scratchy volume pot on EVH special

crankyrayhanky

The guitar is less than a year old
Can I blow this out with some kind of air compressor or cleaner?
I hear wd40 and similar is a bad idea
Or is this likely a sign to replace?

If so, just go ahead and replace both? and what is the best ones to get that match this guitar? I love to use volume swells and need a clean & natural result.

While I'm at it, maybe have them add in a kill switch like the US model? Should I get that kind of arcade button or would a toggle switch be better and have more endurance?

Any insight or links to parts appreciated. This could be the missing link between me and a true rock star breakout :yes:

The pot is scratchy as in you hear it through the amp? Have you tried a different amp? I ask because this can indicate there's DC on your pot, which usually comes from grid leakage on the first preamp tube. Before you go trying to spray the pot with stuff, do this:

Guitar, amp, cab. No FX loop. No pedals. Is the guitar still scratchy?

Then try the guitar through a different amp. Is it still scratchy?

If the guitar is scratchy through the first amp, but not the second, it's the amp.

If it turns out to be the guitar.

Deoxit D5

Been through a lot of stuff, and this works best on pots.

Thanks for the replies!
I'm going guitar>Kemper and the scratch only happens on the 1 guitar...so it is the guitar
Deoxit D5: I'll try this!

It sounds like the DeOxit or other contact cleaner would clear up the scratchy pot.
As for the kill switch, if you're looking for the EVH style, check out this link:
https://tesiswitch.com/products/tesi-ne ... -evh-style

If you want other styles, there are tons to choose from. I've done installs on the wolfgang where the customer wanted to move the pickup toggle and put the switch in that hole in the upper horn. If you do that, I suggest one of the lower profile metal buttons (like the IDO) because two-handed tapping will engage the switch when you don't want it to. If you're locating it on the lower horn like the USA EVH Wolfs, you can't beat the NELLI switches.

tesiswitch":3mnlvxuv said:
It sounds like the DeOxit or other contact cleaner would clear up the scratchy pot.
As for the kill switch, if you're looking for the EVH style, check out this link:
https://tesiswitch.com/products/tesi-ne ... -evh-style

If you want other styles, there are tons to choose from. I've done installs on the wolfgang where the customer wanted to move the pickup toggle and put the switch in that hole in the upper horn. If you do that, I suggest one of the lower profile metal buttons (like the IDO) because two-handed tapping will engage the switch when you don't want it to. If you're locating it on the lower horn like the USA EVH Wolfs, you can't beat the NELLI switches.
:rock:

Back