Well aint this some shit. OD808 versus OD9 content.

• Thread starter Thread starter Telephant
  • Start date Start date
Telephant
Telephant
I always thought the OD808 was a TS808 copy while the OD9 was a TS-9 copy. Apparantly I was way off.

The OD9 copy is a TS9 but its supposed to be so close to the original TS808 that people have been unable to pick out the original in a blind fold test. (heard this over in HCEF).

The OD808 is actually a TS-10!!! Freakin weird, mang. Makes me want a freakin' OD9 now. :x :lol:

From Analogman's website:

The Maxon OD-9 introduced in the summer of '02, is a TS9 (looks exactly the same) with the correct JRC4558D chip, and it had a DPDT switch replacing the FET switching. This early OD-9 had "normal" bypass like an old 70s pedal but does not suck much tone when OFF. Since it is an exact TS9 circuit, we offer the same mods on the OD-9, either the CLASSIC or the SILVER mod, along with KWS option. In about 2004 they changed to an actual 4PDT true bypass switch. This OD-9 should not be confused with the original 1984 Ibanez OD-9 which was not a tube screamer circuit (and very rare, I want one!)

We have worked on the Maxon OD-808 and now offer our 808/SILVER mod for it. The Maxon OD-808 is actually a TS-10 circuit (uses TS9/TS10 output section) so it takes some serious work. The circuit boards are not holding up well to electronic rework, so we have to be very careful so as not to damage them. We also include TRUE BYPASS on these mods because Maxon uses a normal size stomp switch which we can easily change to a 3PDT switch for true bypass.

Took me by suprise. :oops:

Yeah, the OD-808 is a TS-10 and Analogman will not turn it into a TS-808 clone. I already asked. Why not just build your own TS-808 clone from a BYOC kit? Way cheaper.

Only takes like an hour to build one man. Very simple layout and you can mod it so much easier than any of those ones you buy. You can also have them build it for ya.

I owned them both, i think, at the same time. I thought the 808 had a slight mid bump that i didn't notice as much in the OD9. But either way, the pedals sound very similiar.

Haven't owned the OD-9, but had a Keeley TS-9+ which was cool.

>|<>QBB<
Code001":81911 said:
Yeah, the OD-808 is a TS-10 and Analogman will not turn it into a TS-808 clone. I already asked. Why not just build your own TS-808 clone from a BYOC kit? Way cheaper.
i was thinking of buying one of those, but i'm kinda more interested in an OD808...how difficult would it be to mod the TS808 to the TS10/OD808 specs?

Check here for the clones:

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/

I have played a TS-10, I thought it was a great pedal. Maybe that is why I like the Maxon OD-808.

I have both the OD-808 and OD-9, they are pretty close, the OD-808 is smoother, the OD-9 has more grit. The OD-9 has more bass and a flatter response and the OD-808 has more of a mid hump.

I have been using the OD-9 for my dirty sound with my fender and the OD-808 for a solo boost.

>|<>QBB<
WarriorOfMetal":3cc31 said:
>|<>QBB<
i was thinking of buying one of those, but i'm kinda more interested in an OD808...how difficult would it be to mod the TS808 to the TS10/OD808 specs?

Mod the TS-808? You mean the real thing? I wouldn't mod the real thing. If you mean the kit, then, well.....read...

Date: 7 Jan 1997 16:50:18 GMT
Organization: AOL http://www.aol.com

Hi again,

RG Keen is one of my my electronics gurus and knows a lot more than
I do but he missed several other differences between the TS-9 and TS-10,
some of which contribute greatly to the sound differences.

1. The input section before the first transistor is referenced to ground
through a single 510K resistor on the TS-9 and 808, but on the
10 there is a network of 3 resistors, one to 9V and one to ground,
and a CAP to ground. This should not affect the tone as much as
the other changes, but I remove this stuff anyway.

2. This is the one that RG mentioned : After the first transistor there
is a 220 ohm resistor R6 that should be shorted out.

3. On the drive pot the #2 and #3 leads are connected on the TS-10.
On the 9 and 808 the 3 lead is open. This should not make much
difference but I undo the 3rd lead anyway.

4. There is an extra transistor in the signal path when the effect
is in the OFF position on the TS-10. RG's circuit on his web
page does not use the FET switch so he probably did not consider
that. But if you are modifying a TS-10 you should remove the
transistor Q6, remove the 10K R40 and from that transistor,
and run a jumper from the input of the R39 1K resistor feeding
that transistor to the input of C15, bypassing this whole mess.
It's not an easy job on that circuit, requires a few jumpers.

5. The output from the LEVEL control goes through an extra
capacitor that should be removed and jumpered - C11.

6. After C11 is an extra resistor to 4.5 volts that should be
clipped out - R17.

7. Then to make it into an 808 you change the output section
resistors as RG said.

RG, please feel free to add the above to your web page!

Regards, mike ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~ (203) 778-6658

I have a TS-9 modded to 808 spec by Analog Man and Keeley :o :o :o

It's a killer boost for my KTre, very smooth and ballsy.

>|<>QBB<
Code001":c68f0 said:
>|<>QBB<

Mod the TS-808? You mean the real thing? I wouldn't mod the real thing. If you mean the kit, then, well.....read...

Date: 7 Jan 1997 16:50:18 GMT
Organization: AOL http://www.aol.com

Hi again,

RG Keen is one of my my electronics gurus and knows a lot more than
I do but he missed several other differences between the TS-9 and TS-10,
some of which contribute greatly to the sound differences.

1. The input section before the first transistor is referenced to ground
through a single 510K resistor on the TS-9 and 808, but on the
10 there is a network of 3 resistors, one to 9V and one to ground,
and a CAP to ground. This should not affect the tone as much as
the other changes, but I remove this stuff anyway.

2. This is the one that RG mentioned : After the first transistor there
is a 220 ohm resistor R6 that should be shorted out.

3. On the drive pot the #2 and #3 leads are connected on the TS-10.
On the 9 and 808 the 3 lead is open. This should not make much
difference but I undo the 3rd lead anyway.

4. There is an extra transistor in the signal path when the effect
is in the OFF position on the TS-10. RG's circuit on his web
page does not use the FET switch so he probably did not consider
that. But if you are modifying a TS-10 you should remove the
transistor Q6, remove the 10K R40 and from that transistor,
and run a jumper from the input of the R39 1K resistor feeding
that transistor to the input of C15, bypassing this whole mess.
It's not an easy job on that circuit, requires a few jumpers.

5. The output from the LEVEL control goes through an extra
capacitor that should be removed and jumpered - C11.

6. After C11 is an extra resistor to 4.5 volts that should be
clipped out - R17.

7. Then to make it into an 808 you change the output section
resistors as RG said.

RG, please feel free to add the above to your web page!

Regards, mike ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~ (203) 778-6658

sounds like a lot of work....wonder if BYOC could be persuaded to make a TS10/OD808 kit? hmm....

I love my TS-9 with 808 chip and 'Brown' mod from a local guy... more low/ low-mids, less overall hump, more gain and volume!

Cool deal... I haven't been buying pedals since I've graduated and have had a more steady income, but think it's about to kick up... Thanks Shea. :D

I think my favorite so far is a TS9 that a friend just toyed with one time. He had some of the original chips from some random old hardware. He also bumped the gain up considerably without compensating for it with the bypass cap across that tone network... and for the tone cap, he told me he put the biggest cap he could fine... the LARGEST physical cap he had. :D

Thing is noisy as all get out, but has a cool sound... I'm interested in trying some of the Keeley baked mods and stuff like that.

If anyone needs any tubescreamer mods, just post in here. I have info for the Keeley Baked Mods, SD-1 mods, True-Bypass, TS-9 to TS-808, Mid-Hump Reduction, 3 Way Diode Clipping, Op-Amp Switching, Dual Controls, Boost Footswitch, etc. etc. etc.

>|<>QBB<
Code001":661a6 said:
If anyone needs any tubescreamer mods, just post in here. I have info for the Keeley Baked Mods, SD-1 mods, True-Bypass, TS-9 to TS-808, Mid-Hump Reduction, 3 Way Diode Clipping, Op-Amp Switching, Dual Controls, Boost Footswitch, etc. etc. etc.

I'm lookin' for someone to make a mid-hump-boost mod... seems I'm opposite of most folks, I love a little dirt from the OD and a big mid-hump to hit the front end of a Marshall-esque amp... just sings.

This should help with most of those mods I listed actually.

ScreamerWiring.gif

Back