decided on my next guitar: 27 fret gutierrez juggernaut

• Thread starter Thread starter cobrahead1030
  • Start date Start date
>|<>QBB<
cobrahead1030":58dd9 said:
>|<>QBB<

short scale shred guitars aren't very popular it would seem

the LTD mv300 is nice with mahogany body & maple neck, but it comes in H-S and no floyd (see mine below)

there's also the jackson fusion

and the caparison horus, but those are pricey (i happen to like them, they just arne't cheap)

mvv2.jpg

That ESP is nice!

I think if i decided to get a shorter scale shred guitar, id probably have one custom made for me. I dont know of many current production guitars that i really, which are short scale. Especially with the types of woods i like!

>|<>QBB<
MrDan666":578d9 said:
>|<>QBB<

To be honest, i really do love the look of the SL2HMAH... but for less $ than that i bet Lee at GMW could make an absolutely insane guitar with all the same spec...

I think it is going to depend on good the hook up is with a dealer, don't forget the sur-charge for the neck-through from Lee. That guitar built by Lee is going to be dancing around $1900 and I know I can get close to $2000 for the Jackson.

>|<>QBB<
MrDan666":b2a80 said:
>|<>QBB<

That ESP is nice!

I think if i decided to get a shorter scale shred guitar, id probably have one custom made for me. I dont know of many current production guitars that i really, which are short scale. Especially with the types of woods i like!

same here...that's why i'm going with a custom 8)

i thought about GMW, but it would've cost a bit more from them and i've never played one...i'll get to check KAGE's this summer tho

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":cf4cd said:
>|<>QBB<

I think it is going to depend on good the hook up is with a dealer, don't forget the sur-charge for the neck-through from Lee. That guitar built by Lee is going to be dancing around $1900 and I know I can get close to $2000 for the Jackson.

Oh in that case then it seems like its worth going for the Jackson then, i wasnt entirely sure about Lee's prices!

>|<>QBB<
MrDan666":66db2 said:
>|<>QBB<

Oh in that case then it seems like its worth going for the Jackson then, i wasnt entirely sure about Lee's prices!

Basic body guitar = 1000
Neck through = 350
Mahagony body = 50
3/4a flame 1/8" top = 200...5a = 300
ebony board = 50
24 frets = 100

$1750 but I did not add inlays or binding for the GMW. I will say that I perfer GMW's fret work and necks and it would be a tough choice with way to go.

not to mention if you got the jackson and didn't like it, you could sell it to break even

with the GMW the value drops way down if you resell

i know we've kinda had this conversation before...it worries me a bit with getting this guitar, but the consensus from the other guys who've gotten them is good (which is about as much promise as one can hope for i guess) so my fingers are crossed

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":03a1e said:
>|<>QBB<

Basic body guitar = 1000
Neck through = 350
Mahagony body = 50
3/4a flame 1/8" top = 200...5a = 300
ebony board = 50
24 frets = 100

$1750 but I did not add inlays or binding for the GMW. I will say that I perfer GMW's fret work and necks and it would be a tough choice with way to go.

Hmm it is a tough choice Scott, i guess all in all it depends wether you like Jacksons necks and setup more, or if you prefer what GMW has to offer!

Even though GMW dont do the strathead necks, do they still offer the San Dimas neck profile with a Jackson headstock?

>|<>QBB<
cobrahead1030":0eb16 said:
not to mention if you got the jackson and didn't like it, you could sell it to break even

with the GMW the value drops way down if you resell

i know we've kinda had this conversation before...it worries me a bit with getting this guitar, but the consensus from the other guys who've gotten them is good (which is about as much promise as one can hope for i guess) so my fingers are crossed

Yeah the value drops with GMW, but i guess also theres a chance someone on one of these forums or HC or TGP may be after that exact thing so you could still get some money back!

I guess really with Custom guitars, you gotta trust someone big time with their opinions about them or be able to try a previously built custom model.

IMO the only GMW guitars right now holding value are the strathead guitars and that is due to those bastards at Fender. I have seen hockey stick GMW guitars go as low as $800 mint.

ABout the value...that is up to you if you hold guitars or flip them. I would pay $1500 for mine again in a heartbeat just because I love the neck and that guitar built by Charvel would have been at lest $2400 due to the solid maple 3A body.

Screw this talk...it is about ripping and ripping it boys :x \M/

The SL2H-MAH's are real nice...I have one. However, I'm going back to Les Pauls - I just can't play on the super thin shredder necks anymore. So most likely mine is going up on the auction block. I do think they sound a fair bit warmer than the normal Soloists. But I'm a huge fan of mahogany guitars. Cobra, I have a feeling your 27fret Gutierrez will come out badass...I wish I could get my hands on one to check it out!

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":22826 said:
IMO the only GMW guitars right now holding value are the strathead guitars and that is due to those bastards at Fender. I have seen hockey stick GMW guitars go as low as $800 mint.

ABout the value...that is up to you if you hold guitars or flip them. I would pay $1500 for mine again in a heartbeat just because I love the neck and that guitar built by Charvel would have been at lest $2400 due to the solid maple 3A body.

Screw this talk...it is about ripping and ripping it boys :x \M/

pics? :D

>|<>QBB<
cobrahead1030":092b4 said:
those edwards look pretty badass, but it seems like i checked them out before and they were 25.5" scale...i'm not a big floyd guy either

i've got an ltd mv300 which is pretty close to the specs of the juggernaut i'm getting...but it's only a 24 fretter, and the neck isn't nearly as nice as the other gutierrez i owned

i love the look of the kiko sig, especially the black one like this...but those aren't even available here, and would cost $4000-5000 USD to import; nearly 3X what i'm paying for the gutierrez

kiko_loureiro_bk.jpg

Um usually not into shredder guitars but man, this ESP is gorgeous!!! :)

that looks great scott...tho i woulda got it in dark blue

could one like that be had currently for $1500, or were they a bit less when you got yours?

i've never actually seen one of the strat heads either, a lot of pics with the headstock cropped out

>|<>QBB<
aldog1330":8b54c said:
The SL2H-MAH's are real nice...I have one. However, I'm going back to Les Pauls - I just can't play on the super thin shredder necks anymore. So most likely mine is going up on the auction block. I do think they sound a fair bit warmer than the normal Soloists. But I'm a huge fan of mahogany guitars. Cobra, I have a feeling your 27fret Gutierrez will come out badass...I wish I could get my hands on one to check it out!

that's one thing i kinda like about the ESP eclipse and viper models, they're a nice hybrid between gibson style and shredder guitars...i want the neck on my gutierrez to be pretty similar to that

i like a lot of the jackson necks pretty well, but never owned a nice one...ibanez necks always feel really good at first, but when i spend some time on them they become kinda wierd feeling to me...i'm not generally a fan of gibson necks either tho

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":78a7b said:
>|<>QBB<

Not busting balls Pete but why are you asking him this question? You speak to many here that own or have owned the Horus that have no reason to own a 27 fret shred guitar. Not being mean but just stating a fact.

No, I wasnt saying it like that...I just meant, is it just for the look since he said he didnt plan on usuing the higher frets. He can buy a 84 fret guitar with no complaints from me. :)

it's all good pete,

i will use the higher frets...but my style doesn't have me playing up there a whole lot, i stick to rhythm playing 90% of the time; but like to try to pull off a decent solo, which might be on any part of the fretboard

so to answer your question, looks is part of it...but i also want the few extra notes available, should i decide to play them

i'm still curious as to whether you ever play above the 24th fret on yours? i don't remember anything on the cd that sounds abnormally high, but i'm sure those tunes aren't the only thing you play

>|<>QBB<
cobrahead1030":87ff8 said:
it's all good pete,

i will use the higher frets...but my style doesn't have me playing up there a whole lot, i stick to rhythm playing 90% of the time; but like to try to pull off a decent solo, which might be on any part of the fretboard

so to answer your question, looks is part of it...but i also want the few extra notes available, should i decide to play them

i'm still curious as to whether you ever play above the 24th fret on yours? i don't remember anything on the cd that sounds abnormally high, but i'm sure those tunes aren't the only thing you play

There are quite a few leads on "from your grave" where I use 24 and above, the song "summoning thr darkness" for example has a full step bend on the 27th fret in my second lead. The play ability is fine once you get used to it.

do you know what track # is summoning the darkness? i've got the disc in my truck, but the case is lost in a huge pile of others...i'll have to take a listen tomorrow

Back