Votes: 12 100.0%
  • Captest 5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Captest 6

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
>|<>QBB<
stratotone":0494c said:
Me too. I know some folks on both sides of the forum fence that might find this interesting.

And yeah, I want to see if it does make a difference. It's one of those things that people who have installed these caps say happens, but you also wonder if it's just because they get used to how the amp sounds. I'm pretty surprised nobody has done a test like this... maybe they have, I'm just not aware of it.

Pete

Only test that I know of is somewhere at metro forums had some clips comparing NOS mustards to Sozo and there wasn't really much of a difference between the two after hearing the clips.

I know a guy in Calgary who did some comparisons and I trust his observations, but I was curious to hear more.

As for me, I already know no matter what you discover, it's not going to change what capacitors I use in my amps. :) I don't particularly rely on any brand/type of capacitor to get the sounds I do; if the brand I use suddenly vanished I could get the same sound/response using another brand/type by adjusting my circuits.

>|<>QBB<
JamesPeters":fde79 said:
I know a guy in Calgary who did some comparisons and I trust his observations, but I was curious to hear more.

As for me, I already know no matter what you discover, it's not going to change what capacitors I use in my amps. :) I don't particularly rely on any brand/type of capacitor to get the sounds I do; if the brand I use suddenly vanished I could get the same sound/response using another brand/type by adjusting my circuits.

Yep. I read a great article with Ken Fischer where he was talking about changing his amps here and there, and how he had used more than one transformer for his amps - he would just tweak the circuit accordingly. I'm sure though if you or he had a really substandard part though, it would be hard to design around it.

I just hear so many 'mojo-riffic' tales about the sozos, thought I'd see for myself. I do dig how they look cool and vintage though, and they really aren't THAT much more, at least in a small amp like an 18 watt. I think shipped I paid $28 or so (I have a few different values than a stock 18 watt, so I didn't just buy the kit they offer.)

Pete

>|<>QBB<
stratotone":39df2 said:
>|<>QBB<

Yep. I read a great article with Ken Fischer where he was talking about changing his amps here and there, and how he had used more than one transformer for his amps - he would just tweak the circuit accordingly. I'm sure though if you or he had a really substandard part though, it would be hard to design around it.

Sometimes yes, at the cost of some qualities I put in the design (ie. more noise, less clarity, less headroom, etc.) I've had to do this for some oddball prototypes and mods done with unusual parts. So I do plan my designs around parts of a certain level of quality/consistency to be sure I meet all my design goals. However there are a few manufacturers of each part I can go with at any time and no one would notice a difference. I definitely won't scrape the "bottom of the barrel" or use a part which is very far outside what I expect from it. My design approach makes it easy to weed those out though; I reject just about any part which has a lot of its own sonic characteristics, something that makes me work in a certain direction. I like to have the control in my circuit design itself. That means I have to know how to design it exactly the way I want it, of course...which was the real challenge. :)

I'll get to your email in a couple hours...just stepping out for din din...

Back