Mark IV Discussion - Tubes, Settings, Tips

• Thread starter Thread starter adam
  • Start date Start date
Can't beieve you found such a great price on that Mark IV! I've been wanting a short head for like 5 years now :(. I need some moneyyy. Congrats, and do yourself a favor and get those damn KT-88's outta there! JJ 6L6's FTW. You could actually damage your OT with those in there I believe.

Edit: BOOGIE444 beat me too it. :o

>|<>QBB<
adam":850df said:
Im hoping to pair it up with some EarCandy BuzzBombs with George Scholz speakers.

Excellent choice :D I've been wanting to try the SugarCones in my BuzzBomb, but FUCK are they expensive. They're more expensive than the G12 Century I bought brand new right when Celestion released them... I've also heard from Tim that he has his own speaker line that's made by Jensen. He sent me some clips A/Bing them with the Eminence Legend, but it was pretty difficult to tell the difference with the clips (and I actually thought the Legend sounded better in the comparison).

>|<>QBB<
Inearthed":dcd5f said:
I'm half tempted to start a thread about Mark IV's so we can chat about what tubes work best and settings and such.
Do it :!:

>|<>QBB<
adam":febc9 said:
LETS GET A STICKY ON THIS THREAD AND LET IT BEGIN!

:)
Hey Adam, see if you can edit your topic title "Mark IV Discussion - Tubes, Settings, Tips"!

Where's the loyal Mark IV people with their wealth of knowledge and tweaking?

What about some cab suggestions too?

So anyway, Id love to try some Tung-sols in the preamp section! Ive heard great things! :D

>|<>QBB<
yngzaklynch":19100 said:
That's the cheapest I've ever heard of one sale for. I'd say you did extremely well.

I have heard of people getting mark IV's for $600-700, but this was 6 or 7 years ago....

For preamp tubes I would go with NOS GE's or RCA's if you can afford it, great match for the mark IV. Never been a fan of JJ's in the mark IV.

For power amp tubes SED or JJ 6L6's will do the trick.

From Doug.. and yes this is a serious improvement in tone and gain!

Douglas Preston <djp@optonline.net> wrote:
Hi Jim,

The best time to reach me is after 11am and before 9pm.

I have just the setup for the MKIV, I've done this in a bunch with some happy customers
v1 - Tung Sol reissue
v2 - high gain JJ or sovtek 12ax7lp
v3 - shuguang 12ax7c9
v4 shuguang 12ax7c9
v5 balanced shuguang 12ax7c9

Regards,
Doug
http://www.dougstubes.com

That's the exact combo of preamp tubes I run in every single Mesa I own (and actually, I use it in my Marshall and Rockmaster as well).

>|<>QBB<
blackba":debcb said:
For preamp tubes I would go with NOS GE's or RCA's if you can afford it, great match for the mark IV. Never been a fan of JJ's in the mark IV.

For power amp tubes SED or JJ 6L6's will do the trick.

I agree that SED6L6s work very well in the Mk IV. Thats what I use.

Here's some of Gainfreak's settings.

MIVsettings.jpg

Damn man, you finally did it. I would have answered over Christmas but my internet went down the Thursday before. Nice score and I hope you enjoy it.

Back