Upgrading an LP copy

• Thread starter Thread starter azure and drkz
  • Start date Start date
azure and drkz
azure and drkz
Well no one is in the Guitar section at the moment , so I thought i'd slide this thread in here

I have a Brownsville GG1 LP copy....I want to redo it with upgraded parts.....What exactly should I do and what brands should I look for... Tuners bridge, electronics, etc.??.. I'm new to guitar customizing. All suggestions and advice welcomed.

I don't know much about anything, so i'm not sure what is best to replace. I do already have p/u's ,so anything but those.

:rock:

the only thing i know is that if that's an import guitar gibson parts won't work. you'll need the metric measured parts, not USA.

that probably was about .01% help

now just go slit your wrists and lookat your friends on myspace.

Also keep in mind if it sounds like crap now, putting new pickups in might not help it much if at all. If with stock pickups it already sounds good, that's another story.

Those TonePros bridges are cool for the bridge replacement

Good thread. I also have a LP copy. It sounds a very nice, yes! It definitely has some cheap parts, though, and I plan to someday replace them. Actually, the tuners were already changed and I've swapped the pickups, but the jack is pretty much falling apart, and I thought I'd change the bridge for the hell of it. I just noticed that a string was not actually seated in the saddle, probably because it just has a little scrape of a notch and there's nothing else to hold them on. That's nice. Oh boy, one of the strap peg thingers is coming out, too!

It also does bizarre things with the volume sometimes. If I turn one pickup's volume down all the way, it still puts out a weak signal unless I turn the other volume down all the way, as well. It did this when I got it and when I rewired most of it, and now the bridge pickup starts cutting out sometimes, so apparently, something needs to be fixed. I'm a detective.

>|<>QBB<
azure and drkz":f7116 said:
Everyone hates me... I'm gonna go listen to emo. |)

lol

I just re-tooled my Edwards. Removed the pickup covers and replaced the JB bridge with a Dimarzio Breed. I also fitted it with Gibson tuners (drilled out key holes and coated the inside of them with clear fingernail polish). I also bought a Tone Pros bridge but decided to put it on my Explore instead. Here are the before/after pics

IM000467.jpg

IM000470.jpg

>|<>QBB<
The Armadillo of leprosy":651cd said:
the only thing i know is that if that's an import guitar gibson parts won't work. you'll need the metric measured parts, not USA.

that probably was about .01% help

now just go slit your wrists and lookat your friends on myspace.
Thanks for the tip. :drunk:

>|<>QBB<
JamesPeters":3b91b said:
Also keep in mind if it sounds like crap now, putting new pickups in might not help it much if at all. If with stock pickups it already sounds good, that's another story.
Thanks James...Yeah I like the neck p/u.. It could use some darkening on the bridge p/u, and overall more output. So I took a chance and got a couple Dimarzio's(SuperD/Super2). I hope I get the desired effects. :moody:

>|<>QBB<
OneArmedScissor":811e5 said:
Good thread. I also have a LP copy. It sounds a very nice, yes! It definitely has some cheap parts, though, and I plan to someday replace them. Actually, the tuners were already changed and I've swapped the pickups, but the jack is pretty much falling apart, and I thought I'd change the bridge for the hell of it. I just noticed that a string was not actually seated in the saddle, probably because it just has a little scrape of a notch and there's nothing else to hold them on. That's nice. Oh boy, one of the strap peg thingers is coming out, too!

It also does bizarre things with the volume sometimes. If I turn one pickup's volume down all the way, it still puts out a weak signal unless I turn the other volume down all the way, as well. It did this when I got it and when I rewired most of it, and now the bridge pickup starts cutting out sometimes, so apparently, something needs to be fixed. I'm a detective.

>|<>QBB<

lol
Where do take your guitars? .. Or do you D.I.Y ? :headbash:

>|<>QBB<
troublehead":d235a said:
I just re-tooled my Edwards. Removed the pickup covers and replaced the JB bridge with a Dimarzio Breed. I also fitted it with Gibson tuners (drilled out key holes and coated the inside of them with clear fingernail polish). I also bought a Tone Pros bridge but decided to put it on my Explore instead. Here are the before/after pics
Thanks bro. Looks cool. :cold:

I recently got a Jay Turser flying V which despite having stock hardware plays and sounds amazing. Cost me $250. I still wouldn't have even considered it if the sound wasn't already great, because I'm so tired of swapping pickups hoping that I can "fix" the sound in a certain way. The output is a bit low but it sounds great, so even if the guitar just makes the output lower I can live with it. :)

I also hadn't even been considering the guitar, because I'm a short guy and Gibson type Vs look huge on me, but a friend was considering getting it; he'd told me if it weren't a piece of junk (being a Jay Turser) he'd consider it because of the price tag alone. That's when I said "Ok then, let's try it and see how it sounds at least". When it kicked both our asses, stock hardware and strings older than Moses, even compared with several other great sounding guitars in the store (which cost upwards of $1000), he still couldn't bring himself to buy it. He asked me skeptically "Yeah...but is it made of real mahogany?" I told him who cares, as long as it looks great, sounds great, plays great...and besides, where do you get the good mahogany from nowadays anyway. If this is a "mahogany like species" and it sounds this good, that's fine by me because I prefer the guitar not to weigh 12+lbs. :) So despite not even wanting a guitar of this type, not needing another guitar, I couldn't pass up something that sounded this good at that price. I knew I wouldn't find another guitar this good for a long time, even at a higher price.

The tuners got replaced, and I may replace the bridge later if I find I have any issues with it. I'm not sure what to do about the pickups, but I'll decide that in a few months after I'm more familiar with the guitar. At the moment I'm thinking "don't change them if they sound fine", but I know me...I'll probably try changing them just because. :)

>|<>QBB<
JamesPeters":32bbf said:
I recently got a Jay Turser flying V which despite having stock hardware plays and sounds amazing. Cost me $250. I still wouldn't have even considered it if the sound wasn't already great, because I'm so tired of swapping pickups hoping that I can "fix" the sound in a certain way. The output is a bit low but it sounds great, so even if the guitar just makes the output lower I can live with it. :)

I also hadn't even been considering the guitar, because I'm a short guy and Gibson type Vs look huge on me, but a friend was considering getting it; he'd told me if it weren't a piece of junk (being a Jay Turser) he'd consider it because of the price tag alone. That's when I said "Ok then, let's try it and see how it sounds at least". When it kicked both our asses, stock hardware and strings older than Moses, even compared with several other great sounding guitars in the store (which cost upwards of $1000), he still couldn't bring himself to buy it. He asked me skeptically "Yeah...but is it made of real mahogany?" I told him who cares, as long as it looks great, sounds great, plays great...and besides, where do you get the good mahogany from nowadays anyway. If this is a "mahogany like species" and it sounds this good, that's fine by me because I prefer the guitar not to weigh 12+lbs. :) So despite not even wanting a guitar of this type, not needing another guitar, I couldn't pass up something that sounded this good at that price. I knew I wouldn't find another guitar this good for a long time, even at a higher price.

The tuners got replaced, and I may replace the bridge later if I find I have any issues with it. I'm not sure what to do about the pickups, but I'll decide that in a few months after I'm more familiar with the guitar. At the moment I'm thinking "don't change them if they sound fine", but I know me...I'll probably try changing them just because. :)
.Yeah I tried a couple Turser LPs, but they weren't on sale and they wanted more for it.. .The main reason I liked this Bville was cuz the size and weight. It was heavier than the other LPs...I liked the shape and looks too. So I said what tha hell..For $200 it has it's issues....But i'm curious as to the difference of tone and feel some changes will make(if any)...It's my main double hum guitar, so I wanna do somethin nice for it. :bear:

>|<>QBB<
azure and drkz":0c6b9 said:
>|<>QBB<Where do take your guitars? .. Or do you D.I.Y ? :headbash:

I do it myself and pray to raptor jesus that I don't destroy something. :retard:

>|<>QBB<
OneArmedScissor":db78e said:
>|<>QBB<

I do it myself and pray to raptor jesus that I don't destroy something. :retard:

Raptor Jesus helps those who help themselves...to some raw meat.

>|<>QBB<
OneArmedScissor":2e943 said:
>|<>QBB<

Yeah i'm scared to mess with it. So I take it to that place that shall not be named. :pssst:

Back