If you were to own one firearm...

• Thread starter Thread starter kannibul
  • Start date Start date
kannibul
kannibul
Would you choose a GLOCK 19, or a Remington 870 Express Synthetic 18.

Primarily, it'd be for home defense, but with a woman in the house, the glock might be a better choice?

I'm leaning more towards the glock at the moment...

I'd take the handgun anyday for home defense. Glock 19 is a great choice, too (esp. if you have a concealed permit :wink: ).

Any love for the wheel guns? I have a .357 revolver at close reach for home defense... My wife has a concealed permit as well, and is quite handy with firearms, but I like the point and shoot attributes of a revolver for home security at 3:00 am, half-asleep and hungover...

Handguns and rifles are just plain stupid for home self-defense. The Remington is a MUCH better choice, especially the 7 shot capacity model. It's small enough to conceal near your bed, yet the shot will not travel too far, unlike a bullet which can go through multiple houses. If there are civilians within a half mile radius, you're MUCH better off with a shotgun.

>|<>QBB<
CharFace":f3393 said:
I'd take the handgun anyday for home defense. Glock 19 is a great choice, too (esp. if you have a concealed permit :wink: ).

Any love for the wheel guns? I have a .357 revolver at close reach for home defense... My wife has a concealed permit as well, and is quite handy with firearms, but I like the point and shoot attributes of a revolver for home security at 3:00 am, half-asleep and hungover...

I'm not fond of revolvers - but the fact that they can't jam or be stopped via mis-fire is a huge plus in a combat scenario.

The biggest concern is her handling the weapon. A 12ga can be scary to woman.

>|<>QBB<
kannibul":e013e said:
>|<>QBB<

I'm not fond of revolvers - but the fact that they can't jam or be stopped via mis-fire is a huge plus in a combat scenario.

The biggest concern is her handling the weapon. A 12ga can be scary to woman.

Scary or not, it's a FACT that the shotgun is the best self-defense weapon for a home. It has a nice spread so you don't need to spend a huge amount of time aiming, and you don't have to worry as much when it comes to going through walls (which is, by far, the biggest concern you should have).

>|<>QBB<
Code001":7742e said:
>|<>QBB<

Scary or not, it's a FACT that the shotgun is the best self-defense weapon for a home. It has a nice spread so you don't need to spend a huge amount of time aiming, and you don't have to worry as much when it comes to going through walls (which is, by far, the biggest concern you should have).

Ideally, I agree with you 100% on your technical truths.

But,

My large gun cabinet is NOT in my bedroom, while my handgun safe is in my nightstand... a few button pushes and I have that sumbitch in my hands...

Don't get me wrong, I have neighbors and more importantly kids that I need to think about before I pull the trigger. But in my situation, its a handgun, or no gun for home security.

EDIT: Unless the bad guys come through my front door in the middle of the day... Then I'll serve their asses with my mothafukkin' AK

You don't have a gun cabinet next to your bed? What kind of American doesn't have a gun cabinet next to his bed?!?!?!? :P

I actually have 4 rifles to the right of my bed, 3 rifles under by bed, and at least 7 handguns in my closet which is 4.5' across from my bed. I still need to buy a shotgun which I might do this year.

>|<>QBB<
Code001":c3c89 said:
You don't have a gun cabinet next to your bed? What kind of American doesn't have a gun cabinet next to his bed?!?!?!? :P

I actually have 4 rifles to the right of my bed, 3 rifles under by bed, and at least 7 handguns in my closet which is 4.5' across from my bed. I still need to buy a shotgun which I might do this year.

Jesus Christ, who are you, Rambo? :lol:

*looks over at the 870 next to the bed*

Yes, I feel better with the shotgun!

If I had to chose only 1, I'd probably take the shotgun.

But, I've got a gun case 3 foot from the end of my bed with 4 12 gauges, a 16 double barrel, 20 and a 410.

On top of that gun case is a loaded Glock 19 so I guess it's safe to say I'm a big fan of bot hof your choices.

I've got a Glock 22 in one Truck, a Ruger Blackhawk 45 colt in another and a Remington 7mm Mag in my main tractor.

My rifles and the rest of my pistols are all downstairs in the basement.

A pump shotgun is the best for home defense. Most of the time all you have to do is pump the damn thing and that scares the fuckers off. That is one sound a criminal does not want to hear. :)

>|<>QBB<
Code001":de81f said:

Damn wife hired the wrong Interior Designer :lol:

>|<>QBB<
kannibul":c08fa said:
Would you choose a GLOCK 19, or a Remington 870 Express Synthetic 18.

Primarily, it'd be for home defense, but with a woman in the house, the glock might be a better choice?

I'm leaning more towards the glock at the moment...

Give me a 12 gauge any day. Just the racking sound alone will cause the fucker to shit his pants.

>|<>QBB<
Code001":161c9 said:
>|<>QBB<

the spread probably is not going to be that much...

granted a 4" spread at target is better than a 9mm hole...just I'm concerned that she'll hesitate to fire a 12ga, where if it was a 9mm pistol, she'd have an easier time with it.

also, she's very pacifist - enough where I think she'd be in trouble if shit were to happen. maybe this thread should more about how to make her less of a potential victim.

>|<>QBB<
King Crimson":43f22 said:
>|<>QBB<

Give me a 12 gauge any day. Just the racking sound alone will cause the fucker to shit his pants.

if I were to chamber a round, the next thing they would hear is it being fired - they wouldn't have a chance for the shit to exit...

in close combat, which would be easier to take from the shooter?

I would defiantly chose a 870 over a glock for anything really, great for self defense, great ant-squirrel weapon, upland game, big game, anything really with the right choice of ammo.

Although I dont think the 12ga. is always the best in personal protection, say some sick perv has your wife hostage you cant take a shot with a shotgun as you will kill both. Now if I had my UZI or my AK with a red dot on it a close range ( indoor shot ) to the head would be all to easy for a skilled marksman, & I wouldnt think twice about taking that shot. Ask curtis jack bauer pwnd his ass much in the same fashion. :lol:

I dont own a gun safe yet as I dont have any kids YET. But I have a nice arsenal spread out between my parents place / where I sleep during the week, and at my fiance's house. I have a 20 ga. in her bedroom, a UZI with a couple of loaded 32 rd mags next to it in the computer room, a .45acp MAC-10 and a Ruger mk II in the family room, and a german shepherd waiting to rip your nuts off at the front door.

I am well preparred at my parents place too, even though I dont spend much time there, pretty much just sleeping at night. I have a .308 FAL, AK-47, model 700 .30-06, deer slayer .44 mag carbine, ruger 10/22, winchester 1300 12 ga. all within arms reach of my bed with many loaded mags laying all over the place. Grant it if there were kids around I would have to really secure this stuff. And another german shepherd outside ready to fuck you up too.

I dont like to be fucked with. :wink:

>|<>QBB<
hal9000":83dc6 said:
>|<>QBB<Don't bring a knife to a gun fight. :mrgreen:

Someone told me the right answer to that statement.

Don't bring a gun to a gun fight either - bring a shotgun, as well as two of your armed friends - hopefully also armed with a shotgun!

I second the cocking sound of a pump 12 gauge will make 99% of most hardened rappist, murders, & thiefs run for their lives.

Back