New Marshalls at NAMM - HOLY COW! Marshall is Back!

• Thread starter Thread starter Chubtone
  • Start date Start date
Chubtone
Chubtone
I heard all three new, big Marshalls today. I stayed through the demo of all three amps twice! I think that Marshall has decided it wants to be top dog in the amplifier world again. I can't believe they finally stopped living off of their past and that famous logo and built some amps that just are killer again.

The 2203KK is a bigger, badder, meaner JCM800. I'm not a Slayer fan at all, but that amp is mean. I have an original 1983 2204. It sounds very wimpy in comparison to this new amp.

The Vintage Modern really knocked my socks off. I heard it through a cab that has the same speakers as the Hendrix stack does. The speakers are a Celestion G12 something, not a G12M, not a G12H, not a Heritage but a speaker that was copied off some great old original 25 watters Marshall had. This Vintage Modern amp sounded great. I own a '70 Super Trem, a '72 Super Lead, a Mojave Peacemaker and a Splawn Quickrod. The new Marshall can hang. I can't believe I'm saying this!

The JVM is a 28 knob 4 channel beast. It floored me. It had a beautiful clean tone. It had a killer modded Plexi tone, JCM 800, boosted and/or modded JCM800, and then it went into modern super high gain and then super high gain with the way boosted low end like modern bands use. The 28 knobs were nowhere near as confusing as I initially thought. A single channel Marshall has 6 knobs. A 4 channel Marshall has those same 6 knobs x 4. Then there are two knobs for Reverb and a Master Presence and Resonance knob.

I went in there on the insistence of a friend (Gainfreak). I was very skeptical. I don't think Marshall has built a good production amp in 20+ years. I left that room blown away. I think alot of boutique amp builders and modern high gain amp companies are going to be in trouble. Many of these companies only existed because Marshall got fat and lazy. Marshall did what it needed to do in order to make a return to the top of the amp heap. I think these new amps are going to be unbelievably popular.

I gotta find out what the selling price is gonna be in the US

>|<>QBB<
Chubtone":bec6d said:
I heard all three new, big Marshalls today. I stayed through the demo of all three amps twice! I think that Marshall has decided it wants to be top dog in the amplifier world again. I can't believe they finally stopped living off of their past and that famous logo and built some amps that just are killer again.

The 2203KK is a bigger, badder, meaner JCM800. I'm not a Slayer fan at all, but that amp is mean. I have an original 1983 2204. It sounds very wimpy in comparison to this new amp.

The Vintage Modern really knocked my socks off. I heard it through a cab that has the same speakers as the Hendrix stack does. The speakers are a Celestion G12 something, not a G12M, not a G12H, not a Heritage but a speaker that was copied off some great old original 25 watters Marshall had. This Vintage Modern amp sounded great. I own a '70 Super Trem, a '72 Super Lead, a Mojave Peacemaker and a Splawn Quickrod. The new Marshall can hang. I can't believe I'm saying this!

The JVM is a 28 knob 4 channel beast. It floored me. It had a beautiful clean tone. It had a killer modded Plexi tone, JCM 800, boosted and/or modded JCM800, and then it went into modern super high gain and then super high gain with the way boosted low end like modern bands use. The 28 knobs were nowhere near as confusing as I initially thought. A single channel Marshall has 6 knobs. A 4 channel Marshall has those same 6 knobs x 4. Then there are two knobs for Reverb and a Master Presence and Resonance knob.

I went in there on the insistence of a friend (Gainfreak). I was very skeptical. I don't think Marshall has built a good production amp in 20+ years. I left that room blown away. I think alot of boutique amp builders and modern high gain amp companies are going to be in trouble. Many of these companies only existed because Marshall got fat and lazy. Marshall did what it needed to do in order to make a return to the top of the amp heap. I think these new amps are going to be unbelievably popular.

Yep - I'm pretty sue I'll be owning a JVM when it comes out.

Just depends on how many souls I'll need to collect first.

I think I'd wait to let them work any bugs out first... newer Marshall stuff isn't exactly bulletproof, and most of the bigger manufacturers release product before it should come out, and let the first people be the pioneers.

You know how to tell who the pioneers are, don't you? They are the people with arrows in their backs... :)

Pete

Here's a link to the JVM manual/handbook http://www.marshallamps.com/downloads/files/JVM%20hbk%20Eng.pdf It looks pretty damn impressive :!:

I'm definitely interested in the JVM but I want to wait and see how reliable it is from the early adopters :)

The JVM head is priced around £899 here. The combo is £1099. I think that's right.

the new stuff does look very cool...but i can't help but wonder how well built the amps will be, and if they're gonna continue their high price trend

I'm wanting a JVM, and I'm not a marshall fan. Any idea on prices? 1500 or so for the head?

I think the prices will be pretty high. The Vintage modern is what has me interested. I am very happy with my silver jubilee, but I would like to try out the VM and JVM.

The new AC50's from Vox have my excited, looks like Vox's answer to the Orange Rockerverbs.....

>|<>QBB<
blackba":e82e4 said:
The new AC50's from Vox have my excited, looks like Vox's answer to the Orange Rockerverbs.....

Can someone shed some light on the VOX?

Did the JVM have the switching delay that was in that demo DVD?

>|<>QBB<
guitar_god123456":ed3ee said:
The JVM head is priced around £899 here. The combo is £1099. I think that's right.
if these are right - the head would be $1776.24. that's getting up into the range where you can buy a better built amp than a Marshall. sorry, i just have doubt that quality is gonna be stepped up.

Back