OT: Pistols

• Thread starter Thread starter kannibul
  • Start date Start date
kannibul
kannibul
OK, I was thinking of getting a GLOCK for a pistol, but now I'm having second thoughts.

I was also thinking 9mm would be what to get, but, now I'm getting caliber envy and am leaning towards a .45.

Went to a gunshop today (bored, had surgery last week, so it was interesting to see the look on the guy's face when I said I'm looking for a pistol, then look at my arm, then look back at me)

Handled a 9mm glock (19), and a .45 glock (30) - also some of the springfields - the XD .45 or something like that...

I know a lot of websites say the M1911 .45 (and it's clones) are about as good as it gets...which the XD isn't (it's a glock-clone)

I checked into renting - and you have to be a member of thier range or take a course ($70 or $100), plus rental ($10/gun), plus ammo (thiers only), though, the rental applies towards purchase...

Anyhow, thoughts?

You really need to go out and try them. Don't buy because of the name. Buy because of the feel. That's the most important thing you should do. Check out the .40 S&W. It's got the recoil and accuracy of a 9mm, but the stopping power of a .45.

My cousin and brother in law both have an XD, and I think they have a lot of similar characteristics as my Glocks. I'd like to have one someday.

I agree with Code, the 40 is a great in between gun, especially if your wife is going to be shooting it. (Nothing wrong with a 9mm though... )

9mm is fine, I've got a Tokarev TT-33 in 9mm. Also, XDs are more Glock/1911 hybrids than anything, with added mag capacity over both. They're fine guns.

The guy at the gun store said the 40 has a sharper recoil than the 45 - just taking his word for it is all :)

I agree the best thing to do would be to try them out, so really I'm looking for some help on narrowing down the field :)

Also, the lean away from 9mm is also due to the gun shop guy saying that LEOs are going away from them due to it not stopping as well as a 40 or 45.

Do yourself a favor...
Check out the H&K USP Compact 40.
It is one of my main carry guns. Well built, very accurate right out of the box, nice recoil, and light comparatively.

I'm referring to this gun strictly for CCW.
Steve

IMHO if you like a 9mm you could switch to a .40s&w with no hesitation. The best shooting pistol I ever owned was a Glock in .40.

That said, the .45 will have more stopping power and heavier recoil, a heavier spring and full length guide rod would quiet that down a bit.

Were I to own just one pistol I'd go .40.

I love the feel of H&Ks, but they're just not as reliable as the Glocks when it comes to serious torture.

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=462537

>|<>QBB<
Code001":899ae said:
I love the feel of H&Ks, but they're just not as reliable as the Glocks when it comes to serious torture.

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=462537

That's why I said for strict CCW.....Not Rambo abuse... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a glock 26, 40 cal for that... 8)

Steve, have you seen that M4 prototype H&K designed a few years back? It was meant for desert warfare usage and made to address the problems our soldiers were facing in the field while in Afghanistan. These guys were slinging it in the mud, shoving sand in the chamber, etc. etc. and it fired like a champ! I REALLY need to get an H&K handgun though. They just feel so damn perfect and not slide heavy like the damn Glocks. Mine is a 23, and it's what I'll be using for CCW when I get my license.

http://www.hkpro.com/hk416.htm
http://www.hkpro.com/hk417.htm

Courts ruled for Bushmaster instead. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Well, I figure that I'll probably use this for fun-shooting, maybe even more serious fun-shooting (competitions or something) - but also for CCW and self-defense.

The Springfield XD .45ACP is getting tasty...

The only handgun I remember firing was a .38 or .38-Special (same thing?) revolver. I remember it having more kick than I thought it would, and it blowing my ear drum out (no hearing protection, standing next to a metal building) - but I hit my target (pop can at 40 ft) - other than that, my Dad has a .22 pistol that I've fed a few hundred rounds through, and I've fired shotguns.

One thing you might also consider is price of ammo. I bought some cheap plinking ammo for my 45, 40 and 9mm the other day, and boxes of 50 were

12.99 for the 45
8.87 for the 40
6.87 for the 9mm

I know it's not that big of a difference, but you'll be damn surprised how fast you'll go through a box of 50.

Not trying to persuade you from the 45 or anything it's just something to consider.

My ex brother in law had an H&K 45 that I shot a few times, and I was nothing but impressed with it.

Oh yeah, get some hearing protection!! :wink:

>|<>QBB<
Marshall Freak":cdb4d said:
One thing you might also consider is price of ammo. I bought some cheap plinking ammo for my 45, 40 and 9mm the other day, and boxes of 50 were

12.99 for the 45
8.87 for the 40
6.87 for the 9mm

I know it's not that big of a difference, but you'll be damn surprised how fast you'll go through a box of 50.

Not trying to persuade you from the 45 or anything it's just something to consider.

My ex brother in law had an H&K 45 that I shot a few times, and I was nothing but impressed with it.

Great point - though, I guess it'll depend on how often I'll be shooting.

When you hit the range, how many rounds do you burn through (and how long are you there)?

Sorry, but it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to compete with the same gun you'll be using for your CCW. If you want to carry the gun, look into compact models. Remember, if civilians can see it, it is illegal. It's harder to conceal a weapon than you think, especially if you're like me (someone who mainly wears a T-Shirt and Jeans). I prefer IWB holsters with the FBI cant.

As far as ammo, I generally go through 50 rounds in a matter of a couple minutes.

Competition pistols usually look like this, BTW:

http://www.accuracyspeaks.com/public_html/gunimage/pistol/p1911oc3.jpg

>|<>QBB<
Code001":3ff69 said:
Sorry, but it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to compete with the same gun you'll be using for your CCW. If you want to carry the gun, look into compact models. Remember, if civilians can see it, it is illegal. It's harder to conceal a weapon than you think, especially if you're like me (someone who mainly wears a T-Shirt and Jeans). I prefer IWB holsters with the FBI cant.

As far as ammo, I generally go through 50 rounds in a matter of a couple minutes.

Concealed for me would likely only be while I'm on my bike, which, I have a pocket for that with my jacket - and if not, then I'll have it in one of the bags on my bike - and that's only if I decide to have it with me.

Though, I do know of a REAL need for it with regards to the north side of Tulsa - I think I was about to get car-jacked (some "thugs" got out of their car just as the light turned green and I took off) - as soon as I took off they got back in and went another direction - and they didn't do anything else...makes one think...)

Anyhow, even given that situation, if I was packing, I probably still wouldn't have pulled - you never know what they might be bringing - and there were at least two of them.

All that said, I'm thinking it'd mostly be for practice/plinking/etc and general self-defense, and even as a backup to my 870 that I should have Thursday or Friday ;)

>|<>QBB<
Code001":83226 said:
Competition pistols usually look like this, BTW:

http://www.accuracyspeaks.com/public_html/gunimage/pistol/p1911oc3.jpg

Yeah, if you're hardcore about it. People still win with off-the-shelf consumer guns, at least, that's what I've heard. :)

>|<>QBB<
Marshall Freak":3c901 said:

12.99 for the 45
8.87 for the 40
6.87 for the 9mm

Very true on Ammo price...

They must be damn good off-the-shelf pistols. ;) I think you should first learn about weapons and getting comfortable with them before diving into competitions. It's kinda like picking up the guitar for a week and all the sudden you start playing stadiums.

FYI, Kimber makes great 1911 competition handguns off-the-shelf if you're interested.

These are my top 3 guns I carry...
Glock 26 .40 cal
H&K USP Compact 40
Sig Custom Shop P230 bored for 9mm
Depending on clothing, I use the pictured holsters. When I'm in jeans and a T shirt, I carry the Sig on my ankle.
(Badge numbers blurred for good reason :D )
Carry+Guns.jpg

Back