OT: Pistols

• Thread starter Thread starter kannibul
  • Start date Start date
>|<>QBB<
Code001":bf657 said:
They must be damn good off-the-shelf pistols. ;) I think you should first learn about weapons and getting comfortable with them before diving into competitions. It's kinda like picking up the guitar for a week and all the sudden you start playing stadiums.

FYI, Kimber makes great 1911 competition handguns off-the-shelf if you're interested.
I love my Kimbers. By far, the best 1911's made IMHO.

They give you a badge in NY if you got a CCW? Here in FL, they just give you a stupid card. Only 1 year and 7 months until I get my CCW. :love:

>|<>QBB<
SteveVHT":9d60e said:
These are my top 3 guns I carry...
Glock 26 .40 cal
H&K USP Compact 40
Sig Custom Shop P230 bored for 9mm
Depending on clothing, I use the pictured holsters. When I'm in jeans and a T shirt, I carry the Sig on my ankle.
(Badge numbers blurred for good reason :D )

I didn't realize you were LEO :)

Have you compared a .45 and a .40, ideally of the same manufacturer?

Also, have you fired a .38 revolver (or .38 Special - not sure the difference) - if so, could you give a comparison?

The guy at the gunshop said the 40 has a sharper kick - just trying to get more info on what he meant, if it's based on a consensus or whatever :)

>|<>QBB<
Code001":69633 said:
They give you a badge in NY if you got a CCW? Here in FL, they just give you a stupid card. Only 1 year and 7 months until I get my CCW. :love:

No. It was a gift from my friend, who happens to be head of the pistol bureau. I have the 2 page paper in my wallet with the list of guns and serial numbers and my ugly mug.
I was involved in a bank hold up a while ago and honored by the NYPD and given a medal and that badge for bravery...blah blah blah.
It's a badge to state to police that I have a full carry for the entire state and all the boroughs. Basically, if I'm ever involved in another situation like that, they won't shoot me immediately if I have my gun drawn on someone... :lol:
Steve

>|<>QBB<
kannibul":c9bfb said:
>|<>QBB<

I didn't realize you were LEO :)

Have you compared a .45 and a .40, ideally of the same manufacturer?

Also, have you fired a .38 revolver (or .38 Special - not sure the difference) - if so, could you give a comparison?

The guy at the gunshop said the 40 has a sharper kick - just trying to get more info on what he meant, if it's based on a consensus or whatever :)

I ain't no stinkin cop...
I'm just a dummy with a full carry permit...LOL
Only cops have full carry permits here in NY. Most CCW's are for business, during business hours, or target permits. But since I did a good deed, they widened my permit. I can carry in NYC, which is only allowed by Law Enforcement, private body guards and feds etc...
Steve

>|<>QBB<
Code001":ac97d said:
NY's gun laws are WAYYYY too strict....

Most gun laws are IMHO. :x

Missouri's laws are kind weird. We passed a concealed carry law a few years ago, and you can get CCW permits, but it's never been illegal to carry guns here, just illegal to have them concealed. Even before the law was passed, you could walk around anywhere with a gun on your hip, as long as it was plainly visible.

I imagine if you tried doing that in KC or St. Louis, you'd get your ass shot as soon as you got out of the car....

>|<>QBB<
SteveVHT":9bec1 said:
>|<>QBB<

I ain't no stinkin cop...
I'm just a dummy with a full carry permit...LOL
Only cops have full carry permits here in NY. Most CCW's are for business, during business hours, or target permits. But since I did a good deed, they widened my permit. I can carry in NYC, which is only allowed by Law Enforcement, private body guards and feds etc...
Steve

That's really cool, but also sucks at the same time. Cool for you, sucks for everyone else :)

>|<>QBB<
Code001":fd981 said:
NY's gun laws are WAYYYY too strict....

Damn straight...
I can go out and get a gun on the street in about 15-20 minutes.
When I buy a new one..
I have to purchase it
Bring the bill of sale to Police HQ
They fill out all the info and give me a slip
Bring the slip back to the gun dealer
Bring the gun back to Police HQ for inspection etc...
Then I own it...

>|<>QBB<
Marshall Freak":6ad38 said:
>|<>QBB<

Most gun laws are IMHO. :x

Missouri's laws are kind weird. We passed a concealed carry law a few years ago, and you can get CCW permits, but it's never been illegal to carry guns here, just illegal to have them concealed. Even before the law was passed, you could walk around anywhere with a gun on your hip, as long as it was plainly visible.

I imagine if you tried doing that in KC or St. Louis, you'd get your ass shot as soon as you got out of the car....

I guess they figured if it was in a holster, it was concealed?

IMO, everyone should be legally allowed to carry in plain sight.

The Old West had it's share of evils, but, at least everyone was polite.

>|<>QBB<
SteveVHT":33b3a said:
>|<>QBB<

Damn straight...
I can go out and get a gun on the street in about 15-20 minutes.
When I buy a new one..
I have to purchase it
Bring the bill of sale to Police HQ
They fill out all the info and give me a slip
Bring the slip back to the gun dealer
Bring the gun back to Police HQ for inspection etc...
Then I own it...

Wow! On my latest handgun purchase, I just met the guy at a parking lot, gave him money and got my Glock. Here in FL, you don't need any permits or anything to own a gun. You don't need to have any 4377 form to sell to anyone via private party either. Even though you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from a dealer, you can be 18 if you purchase it from a private party. To buy a gun from the dealer, you just fill out a 4377 and you can walk out with the gun. 8) Some counties have waiting periods though. Also, FL has a law that they MUST issue you a CCW unless they have a damn good reason not to issue it.

>|<>QBB<
Code001":c6494 said:
>|<>QBB<

Wow! On my latest handgun purchase, I just met the guy at a parking lot, gave him money and got my Glock. Here in FL, you don't need any permits or anything to own a gun. You don't need to have any 4377 form to sell to anyone via private party either. Even though you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from a dealer, you can be 18 if you purchase it from a private party. To buy a gun from the dealer, you just fill out a 4377 and you can walk out with the gun. 8) Some counties have waiting periods though.

That's interesting...

I thought one had to do transfers through a FFL!

>|<>QBB<
kannibul":9cc90 said:
>|<>QBB<

I guess they figured if it was in a holster, it was concealed?

IMO, everyone should be legally allowed to carry in plain sight.

The Old West had it's share of evils, but, at least everyone was polite.

No, Holsters are fine. As long as it's plainly visable, you're legal. Concealed was illegal until they passed the law.

We don't have to go through an FFL to sell to private parties here either. You do have to get a permit from the sheriff for a handgun you buy from a dealer, but you only have to do the waiting period for the first handgun. After that, you just buy the 10.00 permit, and you go pick up the gun.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/viewstate.php?st=FL

Florida wears that F+ with pride. :cool:

Edit: Interesting. It actually says we have a 3 day waiting period. I've never experienced it. :lol:

>|<>QBB<
Marshall Freak":59904 said:
>|<>QBB<

No, Holsters are fine. As long as it's plainly visable, you're legal. Concealed was illegal until they passed the law.

We don't have to go through an FFL to sell to private parties here either. You do have to get a permit from the sheriff for a handgun you buy from a dealer, but you only have to do the waiting period for the first handgun. After that, you just buy the 10.00 permit, and you go pick up the gun.

I've been told here, I could walk into a gun shop, pay for it, and walk out with it post-background-check, which they said takes less than 15 minutes :)

I'll know the whole process come Thursday or Friday - ordered my Remington 870 through a website which then gets shipped to a dealer. Noe one had a 870 Express Synthetic 18 12ga 7round...well, one place did, but it was a marine$edition.

www.galleryofguns.com - prices are lower than the dealers tell you over the phone as well. Website also sends tracking info, and appears to ship from Arizona :)

>|<>QBB<
Code001":ed726 said:
http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/viewstate.php?st=FL

Florida wears that F+ with pride. :cool:

Edit: Interesting. It actually says we have a 3 day waiting period. I've never experienced it. :lol:

Oklahoma is a D- :)

w00t!

That demerit is a good one too - lol...

Store Owner: Alright, come back in 3 days and you'll be able to receive your newly purchased handgun.

Customer: BUT I'M ANGRY NOW!!!!

>|<>QBB<
Code001":03abc said:
Store Owner: Alright, come back in 3 days and you'll be able to receive your newly purchased handgun.

Customer: BUT I'M ANGRY NOW!!!!

Yeah, I had a pretty funny dialog going with the gun shop guy today - I had all my bandages on when I went in (killing time until my appointment)...

He was a "good-ole country boy" too - nothing wrong with that, but I'm from up north, and while I can "blend in" well enough in Oklahoma, I still find some things hilarious around here.

Like, wearing a cowboy hat in a gun shop, or while driving...

The rednecks down here are fucking crazy! I used to hang out with them. They'll go hunting for wild boars, but they don't use guns. They use a knife! What they do is run up behind the boar, jump on its back and slits its throat. You sure don't wanna get into a fight with those guys! :eek:

Back