Four track recorders...

• Thread starter Thread starter MrDan666
  • Start date Start date
MrDan666
MrDan666
Im thinking of buying a small four track recorder for messing about with ideas and stuff. Is it worth just going simple and getting something like this?

http://www.tascam.com/Products/414mkII.html

I can get one cheap, and i thought it looked like it would be fine. I just want something for messing about with ideas and recording riffs/solos for fun.

If thats no good, then recommend me something else. I dont wana spend much though!

Dan

Theres a guy on HC who has a Korg d1200 digital 8 track for $300

good deal.....

if your interested.

300 for a D1200 is a pretty good deal.

a nice 4 track new will cost you that.

no shit, I almost bought it from him before I lost my job.....

40gb drive and cd burner built in.....not to shabby!

Plus I talked to the guy, seems like a good guy. I had to back out on him, so I thought I'd plug it for him....

If I didn't already have an 8 input recorder, I'd be all over that.

Thats a great deal but i gotta pass because i dont have the cash for that right now :( Also id be better off saving my money and buying something from the UK, because otherwise i gotta have it shipped over, then get hit with import duties etc.

Is it worth going with a digital 4 or 8track, or getting an analog tape 4/8 track?

Just wana know whats best so i know what to save up for, im totally new to all this stuff!

Man, thats an AWESOME deal on that 8-track! I want it BAD :(.

IMO, Digital is the way to go. That way, you can record as much as you want, because even though your limited to 8 tracks, you can simply export it via CD or USB (depending on what make/model recorder you get) to your computer and continue to record. Also, having the ability to export it to your computer gives you many more options for Mixing/Mastering, and is a (usually) safer way to store and share it with others (such as the fine folks here at the 'ol Rig-Talk :)).

Make sure to get yourself a nice mic too. Don't be afraid to spend some money on a nice mic, because it will really help in the end. A good mic is one more step in the right direction for good tone!

>|<>QBB<
CaseyCor":fc50f said:
Man, thats an AWESOME deal on that 8-track! I want it BAD :(.

IMO, Digital is the way to go. That way, you can record as much as you want, because even though your limited to 8 tracks, you can simply export it via CD or USB (depending on what make/model recorder you get) to your computer and continue to record. Also, having the ability to export it to your computer gives you many more options for Mixing/Mastering, and is a (usually) safer way to store and share it with others (such as the fine folks here at the 'ol Rig-Talk :)).

Make sure to get yourself a nice mic too. Don't be afraid to spend some money on a nice mic, because it will really help in the end. A good mic is one more step in the right direction for good tone!

Thanks for the advice man, much appreciated! Im pretty new to this stuff.

What kinda mic do you suggest? SM57?

No problem mate, always love to help out :)

What are you going to use the mic for?

>|<>QBB<
CaseyCor":46ad4 said:
No problem mate, always love to help out :)

What are you going to use the mic for?

Micing my 4x12 cab, and to get decent recorded Hard rock/metal tones!

Any particular mic you'd recommend for that?

Hey man, sorry for the late reply. I was just gonna post when class ended earlier (I was online in Computer Applications class..got my lesson done early)

If you've got some cash to dedicate to recording, I'd highly reccomend a dual-mic set up. An Shure SM58/57 and a Sennhiester (sp?) E609 make a great pair, and are both cost-effective. I'd say that those two would really get you the sound your looking for at a good price, and good dependability as well.

>|<>QBB<
CaseyCor":03f25 said:
Hey man, sorry for the late reply. I was just gonna post when class ended earlier (I was online in Computer Applications class..got my lesson done early)

If you've got some cash to dedicate to recording, I'd highly reccomend a dual-mic set up. An Shure SM58/57 and a Sennhiester (sp?) E609 make a great pair, and are both cost-effective. I'd say that those two would really get you the sound your looking for at a good price, and good dependability as well.

No probs man, thanks for the reply!

If you had to pick one, would you choose the E609 or the SM57?

Im probably only gonna be able to pick up one mic for a short while, then when i get more cash i can get the other!

Back