Who here has attempted a warmoth?

• Thread starter Thread starter jonny toetags
  • Start date Start date
jonny toetags
jonny toetags
I am seriously considering it seeing as no one has what i want (at a realistic price).

My only concern is the neck joint. Is it a tight fit?
I am worried that i will get it all ordered and there will be spacing like on some of the Fenders i have tried.

Here is what i am looking at:
warmoth1.jpg

or
warmoth3.jpg

id get the 2nd..more versitality. i dono about warmoth but it cant be bad... you see a lot of ppl building them so it must be fine.

Also bear in mind the huge depreciation that will take place if you ever try to sell it. You can spec it out exactly how you want it, but you never know how it is going to sound/feel.

Resale value is absolutely terrible on those. Code001 had a V that cost around $1200 and he sold it for under $500.

Why would he build a guitar to sell it?

Buy used parts on Ebay, lots of guys dive into the building part and never do it once the parts came in.

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":617a1 said:
Why would he build a guitar to sell it?

If he doesn't like it, he's going to end up losing a ton of money, that was my point.

DSCN0893.jpg

As you can see, I've built a bunch of Warmoths. The neck pockets are really tight if you get a finished body. I'm talking tight enough to slip the neck into the slot and hold the guitar up in the air by the neck and have the body stay on.

That being said they are a total crap shoot tonally. I would say that literally half of them sound good, the rest are firewood. If you end up with a firewood one, resale value will kill you.

I've built at least 10-12 Warmoths and I still own 2 of them.

>|<>QBB<
Chubtone":6fb1f said:
DSCN0893.jpg

That being said they are a total crap shoot tonally. I would say that literally half of them sound good, the rest are firewood. If you end up with a firewood one, resale value will kill you.

I've built at least 10-12 Warmoths and I still own 2 of them.

Damn...i didn't want to hear that :(
I would have ordered a GMW if Lee still made the strat headstock.

Realistically i should be looking at Charvels, but the price is nuts for something like i want!

there is a GMW strat on HC very similar to want you want. i think the guy wanted 1050 shipped or something.

>|<>QBB<
maiden_fan":9f354 said:
there is a GMW strat on HC very similar to want you want. i think the guy wanted 1050 shipped or something.

Tks for the heads up.
I saw it, but i am looking for no pickguard.

In reality...i really want a DeMartini...but the price is too high for a 1 pickup guitar.

>|<>QBB<
jonny toetags":20acc said:
>|<>QBB<

Damn...i didn't want to hear that :(
I would have ordered a GMW if Lee still made the strat headstock.

Realistically i should be looking at Charvels, but the price is nuts for something like i want!

Have you looked at Carvin? Their quality is top-notch and you can spec it the way you want (barring pickups, of course, but you were going to have to install pickups anyway). And the price is good since they only sell direct. If you call them up they can do things not listed on their website.

Their finishes aren't flawless either. I had a plain white V and the finish had runs. There was also some dithering around the back of the neck near the nut since the neck was painted. Neck joint is very tight. Fretwork is pretty "blah." You'll need to have a luthier go over the frets.

ok...guess warmoth is out of the picture.
Back to square one :(

chris guitars generally have some cool 80's kinda shred guitars. digitaljams posted a reverse stratheadstock jackson the other day that was hot.

just did this one. think they did a good job on the frets, BUT they don't round or angle them on the outside edges of the board.

Attachments

• warmoth.jpg
    warmoth.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 989
That's almost exactly like what I'm planning to put together soon :)

I started a warmoth but never got around to finishing it:
5150incase.jpg

Resale on warmoth isnt bad if you are smart about it. IE buy the parts from the showcase... and if you dont like the guitar PART IT OUT!!!!!! That way you recover a lot of the initial cost. Of course resale value on the entire guitar would be lower, people dont know how good you are at assembling guitars, so its a crap shoot for the buyer. If you dont like it, part it out.

You should be able to get the body and neck you want if you watch the showcase for around $500. If you dont like the final product, I dont think you will have trouble reselling for at least $400 if you part it.

>|<>QBB<
4nkam":eab9d said:
That's almost exactly like what I'm planning to put together soon :)

I started a warmoth but never got around to finishing it:
5150incase.jpg

does Eddie use the eyelets like that for the strap? was watching the namm video and was trying to figure out what he used, kindda looked like a cut of pipe welded to something.

Back