Played a Marshall JVM combo today.

• Thread starter Thread starter maiden_fan
  • Start date Start date
maiden_fan
maiden_fan
Good sounding combo. However its far from the best Marshall ive ever played. The 3 modes on each channel works great, and the clean is one of the best ive heard from a Modern marshall.

It reminds me alot of my JMP-1, and thats were it falls short, the OD1 and 2 channels are really nice for leads, and i got a good crunchy rythm tone as well. But the JMP-1 kills it for tighter gain, and rythm in general, the JVM was a bit dare i say muddy on chords with the gain up and it didnt have the edge the JMP-1 had.

Would i have one. Yes

would i choose one over a JMP-1 and a decent poweramp. Hell no

to be fair i would have try the head to make sure.

I was playing at reasonable volume and used a Gibson SG.

cheers Tony

lol, differant strokes. I think i would struggle to make the JMP-1 sound thin.

Did you like the JVM?

How do you mean? i ran od2 i think gain 4 bass 2-3 mids 6 treble 5 give or take 1 or 2 and i prefered the JMP-1.

I thought you were a JMP-1 advocate anyway?

>|<>QBB<
SgtThump":39ca0 said:
>|<>QBB<

Thanks for posting your honest opinion! I haven't heard it myself, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Same here. Going of my experience playing dsl and tsl combo's vs head's, I liked the head much better than combo's. To me there was a big difference. So it might be the combo that you didn't like. I am excited to try the new Marshall's, but I am really wanting the hear the vintage modern more than the JVM.

i will definately reserve judgement till, i try the head. These were just my initial impressions.

Considering i hated the DSL, until i heard a guy playing it with a new set of tubes and a decent Bias. Sounded badass. Now i love the DSL.

>|<>QBB<
carlygtr56":25ee8 said:
>|<>QBB<

I played the JMP-1 many times as well as having footage of a guy named Slim from the Hamsters using it, as well as a few Paul Rodgers shows with a guy named Geoff Whitehorn using it.

In all cases it doesn't, and never will, sound like a head.

I liked the JVM demo. I've owned the blue 30th ann Marshall, DSL, TSL, etc.
I was able to dial all in to something I liked, and no doubt I can do the same with the JVM.

I dont doubt you may not have liked the combo, but i think we will see many differing opinions once it gets into peoples hands.
A guy on Plexi Palace, who saw the NAMM demo, thought the JVM sounded "cold".
Ralph dug it.

Everybody isnt going to agree :)

I could understand not liking the voicing but describing the JVM as cold :? That one I do not get.

I really think it might have been that it was a combo...at least, that's what I'm hoping. The more I hear about this amp, the more I think it might be the perfect one for me. I was looking into a Road King, but this just seems like IT for me. I'm loving how my 900 sounds at the moment, and I attribute that to my cab entirely. Seems with the 900, if you dont have the right cab/speakers, it sounds like crap...the only thing is it's not tight enough for me. This amp seems like it would give me the options of a Road King, but would be different enough to where I could get a unique sound out of it.

I can't wait, personally.

>|<>QBB<
maiden_fan":69f02 said:
lol, differant strokes. I think i would struggle to make the JMP-1 sound thin.

Did you like the JVM?
I am a diehard JMP-1 fan and I agree, it would be hard for me to make it sound thin. I love the JMP-1, I am just finished with rack stuff (until next time! :lol:). Since I got my Blackmore I am really happy that I have an amp that I can plug into and get a great sound without boosts and all that stuff. I am looking forward to the JVM because it will handle all of my switching needs with no prob. It seems like they thought well ahead when designing this amp. Plus, from the clips I have heard and the fact that I have played Marshalls my entire life, I know it is gonna sound killer! :D

I would NEVER consider a Marshall combo. A fellow bandmate of mine had a TSL 2x12 and it was such a piece of shit. Sounded like a barrel full of assholes and it was very unreliable. Unless they changed the cabinet designs from previous amps I'm won't be suprised at all if the JVM combo sounds like shit. The Boogie Ace sealed back 1x12 is one of the better sounding combos i have ever heard.

>|<>QBB<
maiden_fan":68f10 said:
to be fair i would have try the head to make sure.

Without a doubt. I don't use combo's because I have never played one where I liked it anywhere near the head/cab config of the same amp.

>|<>QBB<
SteveVHT":4022c said:
I'm betting we have a bit of user error here...

Marshall's been the whipping boy on every forum for years now, but now that a few of you guys have money tied up in this JVM, you're going to knock an honest review? Not cool.

Some people are going to love the JVM and other people are going to hate it. You guys are going to have to get a thicker skin about it...shit you haven't even played it yet!!

I sure hope my Bogner Uberkab helps with this thiness you speak of.

I can totally appreciate your review and only you know whats best for you!! The only thing that I might have a problem with is that you are comparing the combo version to the head. That said, its all good!! I know what I heard in the Marshall booth and that amp would work for me BIGTIME!!

~R~

Actually nothing is to be liked until everybody is in agreement that it's ok to like it. Only then is it a good piece of gear. Sheesh you'd think after all these years on the forums you would have learned that by now. I think you better think about what you just did mister and don't comeback until you can conform.

>|<>QBB<
yngzaklynch":b913d said:
Actually nothing is to be liked until everybody is in agreement that it's ok to like it. Only then is it a good piece of gear. Sheesh you'd think after all these years on the forums you would have learned that by now. I think you better think about what you just did mister and don't comeback until you can conform.

But I don't fit the mold!

Fine. Free thinking will only bring more opinions into the picture and I don't think the boards can handle but a few. I hope you can sleep at night.

Back