Played a Marshall JVM combo today.

• Thread starter Thread starter maiden_fan
  • Start date Start date
>|<>QBB<
yngzaklynch":ee4dc said:
Fine. Free thinking will only bring more opinions into the picture and I don't think the boards can handle but a few. I hope you can sleep at night.

I can't!
I can't!

Damn it all!

Yeah Ive heard awesome JMP-1 tone before. Hell, I once saw Killertone's old band Human at Stubbs and he was using a JMP-1 and it sounded awesome...

I wasnt nearly as impressed with the Marshall demo at NAMM as everybody else was.. Maybe I was having a bad ear day from jamming the night before..

But, you know what does impress me? Clay Finley's 1970 Superlead that Ive been rehearsing with the for the past week. :love:

>|<>QBB<
Telephant":d3284 said:
Yeah Ive heard awesome JMP-1 tone before. Hell, I once saw Killertone's old band Human at Stubbs and he was using a JMP-1 and it sounded awesome...

I wasnt nearly as impressed with the Marshall demo at NAMM as everybody else was.. Maybe I was having a bad ear day from jamming the night before..

But, you know what does impress me? Clay Finley's 1970 Superlead that Ive been rehearsing with the for the past week. :love:

What about them didnt you like?

thanks for the replys. I will definately be playing the head when it comes in, in a couple of weeks. Will post a review of that too.

Although i dont agree about the jmp-1. IMO its one of the best things Marshall has released in years.

>|<>QBB<
Megadeth7684":6f695 said:
Iron Maiden got their JMP-1's to sound pretty damn good. :wink:

Whatever they did after the Powerslave album gear wise was a bad move IMHO. They never sounded as good after that album. I think they used Marshall heads up to that point then tried Gallien Kruegers then JMPs.

>|<>QBB<
danyeo":cc95f said:
>|<>QBB<

Whatever they did after the Powerslave album gear wise was a bad move IMHO. They never sounded as good after that album. I think they used Marshall heads up to that point then tried Gallien Kruegers then JMPs.

My favorite tones of theirs are Brave New World and Dance Of Death, although I know you aren't a big fan of those.

>|<>QBB<
ejecta":4c364 said:
>|<>QBB<

What about them didnt you like?

The guy demoing them had them set up too bright and they had a "plinkiness" to them, but that could have been from too much high end. The voicing is less honky which is cool, but I wasnt hearing the organicness (is that a word?) I hear from amps like my Superbass or Clay's Superlead. I didnt hear the note bloom or harmonic richness like I do from the aformentioned amps.

I will say that I really like how each channel and mode has the mids voice differently so you can get a Plexi, JMP, and 800 style tones.

In short, I cant even really give my opinion on one because watching some jackass play an amp doesnt tell me whether Id like it or not. :D

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":05a43 said:
>|<>QBB<

Without a doubt. I don't use combo's because I have never played one where I liked it anywhere near the head/cab config of the same amp.

True, but I gotta say I loved the tone of that Einstein combo you played through at NAMM a couple years ago. I could definitely see owning that combo if my resources were endless...

Steve

>|<>QBB<
sah5150":d6882 said:
>|<>QBB<

True, but I gotta say I loved the tone of that Einstein combo you played through at NAMM a couple years ago. I could definitely see owning that combo if my resources were endless...

Steve

Coolest high gain combo ever!!!

>|<>QBB<
sah5150":b8c7c said:
>|<>QBB<

Steve

I thought that combo sounded excellent too, but if I got an Einstein, it would definitely be the head. Actually, that's probably the only combo I ever played that I thought sounded good.

>|<>QBB<
Telephant":22160 said:
>|<>QBB<

The guy demoing them had them set up too bright and they had a "plinkiness" to them, but that could have been from too much high end. The voicing is less honky which is cool, but I wasnt hearing the organicness (is that a word?) I hear from amps like my Superbass or Clay's Superlead. I didnt hear the note bloom or harmonic richness like I do from the aformentioned amps.

I will say that I really like how each channel and mode has the mids voice differently so you can get a Plexi, JMP, and 800 style tones.

In short, I cant even really give my opinion on one because watching some jackass play an amp doesnt tell me whether Id like it or not. :D

LOL thanks for your input! Yeah Im reserving judgment until I hear and play one in person. Steve threw together this deal and thought... why not give it a shot. I think these amps will be hot for awhile so if it doenst fit what I want then I dont think I'll have too much trouble turning it.

>|<>QBB<
ejecta":666a6 said:
>|<>QBB<

LOL thanks for your input! Yeah Im reserving judgment until I hear and play one in person. Steve threw together this deal and thought... why not give it a shot. I think these amps will be hot for awhile so if it doenst fit what I want then I dont think I'll have too much trouble turning it.

Well Im not saying it sucks at all. I just wasnt blown away like, "OMFG The greatest Marshall ever I must have one right now!!!" :x :D

In all honesty, I hope it lives up to the hype. Im a marshall guy through and through. I even really like the DSL's but I still thought they fell short of a JMP.

Im waiting for them to reclaim their crown. :)

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":5deea said:
>|<>QBB<

I thought that combo sounded excellent too, but if I got an Einstein, it would definitely be the head. Actually, that's probably the only combo I ever played that I thought sounded good.

Yeah, that thing rips. If I was gonna buy a combo that would be it.

Steve

>|<>QBB<
Telephant":f41c2 said:
>|<>QBB<

Well Im not saying it sucks at all. I just wasnt blown away like, "OMFG The greatest Marshall ever I must have one right now!!!" :x :D

In all honesty, I hope it lives up to the hype. Im a marshall guy through and through. I even really like the DSL's but I still thought they fell short of a JMP.

Im waiting for them to reclaim their crown. :)

I hear ya. Its hard to beat those good old JMP's. Really hard. I have an amp that covers that kinda more simple one channel territory that Im happy with. I was looking at getting something to add to my collection that is more modern, multi channel, high gain, no need for pedals, etc but has the Marshall vibe through and through. This looks like it might be a good candidate and Marshall makes it. :o

I really dig the DSL myself so if this only 10% better at best well I think I'll be happy.

>|<>QBB<
sah5150":3287e said:
>|<>QBB<

Yeah, that thing rips. If I was gonna buy a combo that would be it.

Steve
Another +1 for the Einstein Combo, hands down the best Combo that I have ever played....

Back