Played a Marshall JVM combo today.

• Thread starter Thread starter maiden_fan
  • Start date Start date
>|<>QBB<
carlygtr56":8459c said:
Mistake comparing a multi channel amp to a dedicated NMV Plexi type, IMO.
I got the Germino Headroom-100, which is on par with any of the NMV types and I got it for sale.

To get that ONE sound, you need a dedicated one channel amp like those mentioned to get it.

Im running the Superlead for high gain tones with a PPMV. If I like one amps high gain tone better than another, even if one is a NMV and the other is a multi channel amp, so be it. Either way I get a more desirable tone for me.

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":4724c said:
>|<>QBB<

Without a doubt. I don't use combo's because I have never played one where I liked it anywhere near the head/cab config of the same amp.

That's a bit blanket, Bob. The Einstein combo I played at TMs about a year ago had me floored. I couldn't walk away from it for about an hour. That thing is friggin' amazing, head or combo, and to be honest, the only other combos that I've played are the 5150 (not bad) and a few Marshalls which blew.

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":6cff0 said:
>|<>QBB<

I thought that combo sounded excellent too, but if I got an Einstein, it would definitely be the head. Actually, that's probably the only combo I ever played that I thought sounded good.

DOH!! Missed this one, Bob. :D

>|<>QBB<
Telephant":f35c4 said:
>|<>QBB<

Well Im not saying it sucks at all. I just wasnt blown away like, "OMFG The greatest Marshall ever I must have one right now!!!" :x :D

In all honesty, I hope it lives up to the hype. Im a marshall guy through and through. I even really like the DSL's but I still thought they fell short of a JMP.

Im waiting for them to reclaim their crown. :)

It was Bowcott you heard playing the Marshalls right? And if he was playing the amp at low volumes through 75's then it's hard to imagine the amp not sounding bright! I seriously doubt it will be the best Marshall ever, but it's probably the best they have made in a long time and the options on it are tits. It's right up there with the Roadking for versatility.

I can argue that Marshall ripped off Boogies idea of having 4 independant channels with 3 modes on each channel. The Roadking has offered that for a few years now. But i like how the JVM lets you footswitch through the modes. Boogie amps usually have a much more drastic change when you change the modes. Sometimes that's not a good thing, i found that the modern modes adds a ton of volume which bothered me.

But I'm not going to bash Marshall for coming up with an amp that has features that are curiously similiar to some Boogies since i was sick and tired of what Marshall was doing in the first place.

>|<>QBB<
danyeo":1fdbd said:
>|<>QBB<

It was Bowcott you heard playing the Marshalls right? And if he was playing the amp at low volumes through 75's then it's hard to imagine the amp not sounding bright! .

I know dont know his name, but it wasnt the lefty guy. It was some dirty Italian.. :bump:

The amp was at band volume through V30's though. And I hate those speakers...

Honestly I have no doubt this will be Marshalls finest high gain switcher yet. :)

>|<>QBB<
maiden_fan":daf96 said:
i will definately reserve judgement till, i try the head. These were just my initial impressions.

Considering i hated the DSL, until i heard a guy playing it with a new set of tubes and a decent Bias. Sounded badass. Now i love the DSL.

TheDSL100when properly tubed and biased is a fir breathing monster, I love mine....................Try a mullard in V-1 you will be amazed

>|<>QBB<
Telephant":e67fa said:
>|<>QBB<

In all honesty, I hope it lives up to the hype. Im a marshall guy through and through. I even really like the DSL's but I still thought they fell short of a JMP.

Im waiting for them to reclaim their crown. :)

That's why you should be like me and have one from every era! :lol: :D

Seriously, though...I know nothing will sound like my JMP, Jubilee, or 2205's...that's why I have always kept them and probably will never sell them. The JVM appeals to my need for a diverse live rig and it does everything I could ever want as far as that goes. :)

I'm gonna have to try one, the vintage moderns as well, I've heard too much now! I actually saw the vintage moderns in a shop, but I didn't bother asking to try for some strange reason. To be fair, they only let you play in the middle of the shop, so at that volume you can't tell all that much anyway...

>|<>QBB<
killertone":a89cc said:
>|<>QBB<

That's why you should be like me and have one from every era! :lol: :D

Seriously, though...I know nothing will sound like my JMP, Jubilee, or 2205's...that's why I have always kept them and probably will never sell them. The JVM appeals to my need for a diverse live rig and it does everything I could ever want as far as that goes. :)

im working on it! I got a Superbass and a 2210 what more do you want from me? :x :D

Im totally in limbo with the new Marshalls. I just need to play them so I can officially say they're the shit! :wink:

>|<>QBB<
Telephant":07600 said:
>|<>QBB<

im working on it! I got a Superbass and a 2210 what more do you want from me? :x :D

Im totally in limbo with the new Marshalls. I just need to play them so I can officially say they're the shit! :wink:

I hear ya...I am going out on a limb by getting a JVM without hearing it but I am certain that it will rule. If not.....I'll sell it!! :lol:

If you are out and about tonight come by Stubb's and have a beer. I'll be running sound all night. :)

>|<>QBB<
SgtThump":6b530 said:
There's not a single person alive that would've heard my DSL50 or 100 rig live and not say it sounded good. Some people say they don't like those amps and I can respect that. I've just never heard anyone say that after hearing mine.

I used to get compliment after compliment after compliment on my tone with the DSLs. Those amps are awesome.

Damnit, that's what I should do. Get yet another DSL. lol... I've owned two DSL50s and a DSL100 in the past. Those amps treated me better than any others, yet I always sell 'em and try something else.

Get a Silver and black one. 8) Like this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-DSL100-Silver-Edition-100-Watt-AllTube-Head?sku=486010

>|<>QBB<
SgtThump":462a5 said:
There's not a single person alive that would've heard my DSL50 or 100 rig live and not say it sounded good. Some people say they don't like those amps and I can respect that. I've just never heard anyone say that after hearing mine.

I used to get compliment after compliment after compliment on my tone with the DSLs. Those amps are awesome.

Dude - maybe they just love your excellent playing. Seems to me most people hear the playing more than the tone...

Steve

>|<>QBB<
SgtThump":3aee3 said:

Damnit, that's what I should do. Get yet another DSL. lol... I've owned two DSL50s and a DSL100 in the past. Those amps treated me better than any others, yet I always sell 'em and try something else.

Chris,
You have had some really nice amps in the last year, but I have liked your dsl and stiletto clips better than any other clips you have made.

sgthump. have you considered getting two dsl's and getting one modded? or running them both in stereo?

Back