Who here has attempted a warmoth?

• Thread starter Thread starter jonny toetags
  • Start date Start date
try these guys.....Ex-Warmoth guys. I havent tried them myself, but Brent (Gutierrez) sayd their stuff is top notch.

www.usacustomguitars.com

>|<>QBB<
jonny toetags":a76e7 said:
>|<>QBB<

Damn...i didn't want to hear that :(
I would have ordered a GMW if Lee still made the strat headstock.

Realistically i should be looking at Charvels, but the price is nuts for something like i want!
That blue strat w/ the maple neck is EXACTLY what I want! I was thinking aobut making one via Warmoth. Is that my cheapest option right now? Anyone wanna help me out?

>|<>QBB<
Chubtone":6d220 said:
DSCN0893.jpg

As you can see, I've built a bunch of Warmoths. The neck pockets are really tight if you get a finished body. I'm talking tight enough to slip the neck into the slot and hold the guitar up in the air by the neck and have the body stay on.

That being said they are a total crap shoot tonally. I would say that literally half of them sound good, the rest are firewood. If you end up with a firewood one, resale value will kill you.

I've built at least 10-12 Warmoths and I still own 2 of them.

Do you think it would be worth it to buy a replacement neck? Is it more the bodies that tend to be tone-shit or are the necks just as likely to suck balls? I don't mind fret issues, as long as they don't pop out of the neck, cause I figure most guitars need a grind and polish if you want to get a low low setup anyway. Anyone have any opinions about this? I'll probably end up getting one regardless, but a little fore-knowledge never hurt anyone.

>|<>QBB<
Chubtone":c18bc said:
DSCN0893.jpg

As you can see, I've built a bunch of Warmoths. The neck pockets are really tight if you get a finished body. I'm talking tight enough to slip the neck into the slot and hold the guitar up in the air by the neck and have the body stay on.

That being said they are a total crap shoot tonally. I would say that literally half of them sound good, the rest are firewood. If you end up with a firewood one, resale value will kill you.

I've built at least 10-12 Warmoths and I still own 2 of them.

Thank you for finally spilling what others who have done this have been unwilling to say; wood is just too inconsistent for the most part to have predictable sound from cut to cut. There are very few manufacturers who actually pride themselves in consistency for sound and even then it's not possible all the time.

>|<>QBB<
jonny toetags":c18bc said:
ok...guess warmoth is out of the picture.
Back to square one :(

I'd say square one, in this case, means trying guitars before buying them. I'd recommend it most of the time actually.

>|<>QBB<
JamesPeters":f2b31 said:

James,
That is EXACTLY what I'm saying. On my Warmoth's, they were all alder bodies all exactly 4lbs give or take 2 ounces. I specified weight and paid extra for them to get them exact. It was still a crap shoot with IDENTICAL weight and the same wood, same pickups, same bridges. :evil:

>|<>QBB<
Oblivion DC":df5b1 said:
>|<>QBB<

Do you think it would be worth it to buy a replacement neck?

I would point you to USA Custom Guitars for a replacement neck. It's ex-Warmoth guys and their stuff seems to be more consistent, better quality and about the same price. Their page:

http://usacustomguitars.com/

>|<>QBB<
Chubtone":fbf12 said:
>|<>QBB<

I would point you to USA Custom Guitars for a replacement neck. It's ex-Warmoth guys and their stuff seems to be more consistent, better quality and about the same price. Their page:

http://usacustomguitars.com/

Thanks man. I'd seen their site before but the only headstocks they displayed were strats and teles, so I was kinda "meh" about it. But I just looked again and lookie there "We can also build for anyone that has a custom design that they would like built to their specifications."

I guess I'll have them build me a 25.5" scale Explorer neck; maple with a graphite nut and ebony fretboard!!
:D

I've built alot of Warmoth guitars over the years for customers (when they still went thru dealers). The majority of what I did was mah/ map, maple and swamp ash bodies with maple rosewood necks. I've actually not had a bad one in all the ones I built. Of course trhere were some better than others, but none were bad. I never used alder though, I don't think it has good tone. All the guitars I had that were alder never sounded good regardless of pup choice. Maybe I never came across a good piece of alder. Warmoth may have changed since then too....

Back