My Peters Chimera came in yesterday...

• Thread starter Thread starter noseminer
  • Start date Start date
N
noseminer
And it is :D . I can only review it based off of 2 hours of playing at below TV volumes - but it sounds good.

Has a lot of cool features and the build quality is amazing. The chimera part has more gain than i'll ever need. I was playing it for about 10 minutes thinking man this is a nice metal tone, and I looked at the settings and realized the gain was around noon and it was on the lower boost setting.

Its nice and liquid for leads too - I know everyone says it about James' amps, but it really does make the pickup's character come out more. Thats all for now, pictures and possibly a clip tomorrow and a better review when I play it at higher volumes.

It took me a couple of days to get a good feel for the controls, but I'm quite happy with mine.
You're right to say that there is a ton of gain on tap- I did a gig with mine last week with the gain at noon (with the low boost setting), and I play death metal.
I think you'll really be pleased when you get the chance to give it more volume. The EL34's don't sound nearly as good at low volume, their thickness really sounds great when you're blasting. The amp has a lot more volume on tap than I expected as well, I can see why James recommends 50 watts over 100 with his designs.
Other than sounding great, my favorite thing about this amp is the ease of swapping and biasing tubes- you can retube and bias this thing in minutes, and thanks to the wide bias range it takes most power tube types. Speaking of that, I put some 6550's in mine the other day, I'm digging them so far (but I haven't had them loud yet). I might pop some 6L6's in tonight just for comparison's sake as well.

>|<>QBB<
indespise":03af6 said:
It took me a couple of days to get a good feel for the controls, but I'm quite happy with mine.
You're right to say that there is a ton of gain on tap- I did a gig with mine last week with the gain at noon (with the low boost setting), and I play death metal.
I think you'll really be pleased when you get the chance to give it more volume. The EL34's don't sound nearly as good at low volume, their thickness really sounds great when you're blasting. The amp has a lot more volume on tap than I expected as well, I can see why James recommends 50 watts over 100 with his designs.
Other than sounding great, my favorite thing about this amp is the ease of swapping and biasing tubes- you can retube and bias this thing in minutes, and thanks to the wide bias range it takes most power tube types. Speaking of that, I put some 6550's in mine the other day, I'm digging them so far (but I haven't had them loud yet). I might pop some 6L6's in tonight just for comparison's sake as well.

how did you gig go, ours went pretty well we didn't play till almost 11:00. and Rick asked us if we want to do some healining gigs there, i told him only if we could do a metal manifesto, would you be down in the future for this? Also you'd go on late( thats always better) of course Rick wants to sell those fucking tickets though

>|<>QBB<
Dropped_2_C":d7cff said:
>|<>QBB<

how did you gig go, ours went pretty well we didn't play till almost 11:00. and Rick asked us if we want to do some healining gigs there, i told him only if we could do a metal manifesto, would you be down in the future for this? Also you'd go on late( thats always better) of course Rick wants to sell those fucking tickets though

We had to drop out at the last minute because half of my band is out of state on work, and they couldn't make it back on time. That's the first time I've had to cancel a gig, and it sucked. We had a crap (opening) slot, but I still wanted to do it. At least we got
I'd definitely be down for an all metal concert there in the future, just drop me a pm when you decide for certain about it. Selling tickets blows, but we've got a bit of buzz going in the area already, so it shouldn't be too hard as long as we know far enough in advance.

Can you share your setting indespise for both low and high volume? I wasn't able to dial in a very tight tone when i played it loud today. It kinda reminded me of the ubershall clips ive heard. That also could just be the bogner speaker cab i have dunno. I think it might have <shock> too much gain.

Its very thick and has a tons of overtones, making 2 string power chords sound super full.

>|<>QBB<
Randy Van Sykes":89445 said:
>|<>QBB<'Finger hovering over the ingnore button' :D

There's an "ingnore" button? :D

>|<>QBB<
noseminer":89445 said:
Can you share your setting indespise for both low and high volume? I wasn't able to dial in a very tight tone when i played it loud today. It kinda reminded me of the ubershall clips ive heard. That also could just be the bogner speaker cab i have dunno. I think it might have <shock> too much gain.

Its very thick and has a tons of overtones, making 2 string power chords sound super full.

Check your e-mizzle. :) I think first and foremost it's your JB (the old "JB sounding too loose on the lows for modern metal" thing), but I gave you some other tips too.

>|<>QBB<
noseminer":7ffc4 said:

Try these- nothing exact, but this is approximately where I had mine set at high volume (low was nearly the same) with EL34's:
Damping- 1:00-2:00
Depth- 9:00-10:00
Bass- 10:00
Mids- 12:30
Treble- 12:30
Gain- 12:00 (low boost)
Vintage Mode
Full Power
Bias @ 35ma

It took me a couple of days to get used to the feel of the power section, they sound much thicker than the 6L6 section I'm used to at low volume.
That said, loved the feel at high volume, it sounds very full and raw.
I'm using a Mesa Recto 4x12 (the big one) for high volume (and low right now), my first week and a half was played entirely through a Genz Benz 2x12. Both of my guitars have Duncan Distortions in the bridge, and I pick very aggressively.
Like I said earlier, I have 6550's in mine right now, they sound more punchy than the EL34's, at least for low volume (haven't had them loud yet). You might want to try a set out.

Alright, I just stuck some JJ 6L6 in mine, these are definitely the way to go for a tight sound- I can set the controls to make the amp sound as tight as my Engl with these. I like them much more than the 6550's so far.
Give Doug from dougstubes.com a call.

Back