OT: Pistol gripping

• Thread starter Thread starter kannibul
  • Start date Start date
>|<>QBB<
kannibul":dee71 said:
>|<>QBB<

Basically the casing was I'd say 90-95% out of the chamber, with the nose of the next round pressing against the rim, wedging it in place, breach open/slide back holding it all together.

I think it was a fluke - the place where I shoot sells "professionally" reloaded rounds for use in their range (otherwise they charge more for their range fee), and I'm sure there's always a dud in there somewhere, and with my luck, it's always me that'll get it. I can get a bone in a filet mignon...lol

Anyhow, I'm not too concerned with it - I fired 99 other rounds without issue, with the majority afterwards, and if it doesn't do it next time I go I won't even think about it anymore.

Your gun is new too, it's probably a little tight and not completely broke in yet.

Glad you're enjoying it though. :bang:

>|<>QBB<
Marshall Freak":30c0e said:
>|<>QBB<

Your gun is new too, it's probably a little tight and not completely broke in yet.

Glad you're enjoying it though. :bang:

I thought about the break-in aspect too ;)

Here's a pic of my last two targets - the one on the left had 30 shots fired (can only account for 28 ), and the other with 20.

I like the one on the right because I was aiming for a head-shot as my 2nd to last shot, and got it :)

Attachments

• 2nd day range.JPG
    2nd day range.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,471
GRIP STYLE -B- is best with semi's, for the reason that if theres a mis-hap which blows the clip out, your hand cupped underneath doesnt take a beating.

The first grip is a poor grip, the support hand is doing nothing by sitting under the gun. Grip the pistol with your firing hand firmly (don't squeeze too tight) and then wrap the support hand around as much of the firing hand/grip as possible. Grip the pistol as high as the design allows, keeping the bore axis high.

Also, in all pics you have waaaaay too much finger on the trigger. You are supposed to press the trigger with the pad of your index finger - if the trigger is contacted by the joint in your finger then you need to adjust your grip or back your finger out so that you're only using the pad/tip of your finger to press the trigger.

Also, make sure the weapon is in line with your arm, meaning when you look down your arm and over the slide it should be a straight line with your forearm bone in line with the frame of the gun, your wrist should not be bent to either side.

>|<>QBB<
SgtThump":1f946 said:
Whether it's with a shotgun, rifle, pistol, BB gun, blowgun, slingshot, etc...

You forgot to mention the paper wad and straw gun. LOL

BTW - you get the cigar for the kookiest Ralphy avatar.

>|<>QBB<
Odin":9a5ae said:
The first grip is a poor grip, the support hand is doing nothing by sitting under the gun. Grip the pistol with your firing hand firmly (don't squeeze too tight) and then wrap the support hand around as much of the firing hand/grip as possible. Grip the pistol as high as the design allows, keeping the bore axis high.

Also, in all pics you have waaaaay too much finger on the trigger. You are supposed to press the trigger with the pad of your index finger - if the trigger is contacted by the joint in your finger then you need to adjust your grip or back your finger out so that you're only using the pad/tip of your finger to press the trigger.

Also, make sure the weapon is in line with your arm, meaning when you look down your arm and over the slide it should be a straight line with your forearm bone in line with the frame of the gun, your wrist should not be bent to either side.

I'm fairly sure in those pictures, that I only have the pad of my finger on the trigger.

The only thing I have now is that the muzzle flip ends causing the tail of the gun to bang my thumb knuckle. I'm sure once I get these stitches out of my left hand, I'll be able to do more with my grip, as they get in the way (and hurt when yanked)

I'll get it figured out :)

hmmmm. by the thread title, i thought this was gonna be a "technique" used on you the last time your girl yanked your chain :jerk: :mrgreen: sorry, i couldn't resist :D

>|<>QBB<
vchizzle":7d636 said:
hmmmm. by the thread title, i thought this was gonna be a "technique" used on you the last time your girl yanked your chain :jerk: :mrgreen: sorry, i couldn't resist :D
LOL!! Reverse grip?? :? :mrgreen:

>|<>QBB<
RIFF":c81fb said:
>|<>QBB<LOL!! Reverse grip?? :? :mrgreen:
yeah! reverse grip...feels like someone else is jerkin' it. reverse grip, left handed, left handed reverse grip :o like a total stranger :lol:

>|<>QBB<
kannibul":9aa91 said:
>|<>QBB<

I would laugh as the recoil would flip it out of the "thug"'s hand and cracks himself in the chin....or the slide comes back and cuts open the bottom of his palm...

lol
---------------

I went shooting a bit ago - I think I did pretty good for only my second time...

I hit the paper with most of my shots.... :?

Pics coming soon of my last 50 (target is 30/20)...Liz is at her sister's baby shower w/ camera...distance I think was 45-50ft.

One other thing, and I take it as user-error - it didn't eject a cartidge completely one time - I think the rear of the cartidge ran into the nose of the round still in the clip, preventing it from going out all the way. The gun-shop guy said I probably didn't oil it (chamber)well or often enough (recommended every 35-50 rounds fired to oil the ramp, chamber and slide) - which all I had done was oiled the slide before taking it down there.

Once I got that cleared, it fired the rest of the day no problem - and I shot 100 rounds total. This was during my second clip, which my first clip was only 3 rounds, wiuth the second being 10 rounds - the one after awas a full clip (16), and I remember it took me forever to go through that clip and I had no problems. I finished off that box, and went on to shoot another box of 50 without issue. Maybe it was a round that was slightly too long or something (bullet not seated in the brass as far as it should be?) - or it could have been that it just didn't eject correctly...

I have found that I am incredibly accurate if I don't get in a hurry - even being in somewhat of a hurry and flicking my finger back, I am fairly accurate - just when I get in a hurry (mentally thinking I'm almost done) - I'll start dropping rounds everywhere. When I figured that out, I got more confidence and realized that if I take my time, I'll be on or very near my point of aim each time ).

Pics coming soon...

One other thing - is it normal to be having this funky taste in the back of my throat? I figure this is from the range (indoors) - and it's definately got a taste that's quite strange...I keep clearing my thoat and tasting it...

Another thing - I've noticed that the gun I have tends to put some wear on my tigger finger on the side between it and the middle finger - I think during recoil, it's getting pinched between the trigger and trigger guard...

I get that taste... kinda reminds me of something sweet, but it's not sweet. Last time I went, I got up the next day and blew my nose and it was all black.... That's nice. :)

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned one of the single most important things to shooting accurately.....and consistently...
BREATHING
The grip simply comes down to comfort and is actually secondary to posture.
Back in the day, I had several amazing instructors during my competition days. And they always stressed posture, concentration, breathing and sight.
The most common mistakes I see people make at the range is:
Not breathing throughout the shooting. People tend to hold their breath while pulling the trigger. This causes natural anxiety and stiffness in your arms.
Next is idiots who shoot with one eye closed. WRONG.... It causes a false depth perception and causes bullets to drift off target.
And finally is complete relaxation in your stance and arms. The only place where keeping something stiff and "locked" is with the opposite hand you are shooting with. This simply counteracts the recoil.
And, as it was mentioned...Don't jerk or pull the trigger. Squeeze it in a comfortable finger position. It will not be the same for everyone. Just make sure it isn't on a joint.
Steve

Steve, why do you need depth perception when shooting a gun?

Practice using a much smaller target at that short of a distance, it will force you to become a better shot.

Just like practicing guitar, if you just play the same old stuff that you have no problem playing you wont get any better, but if you push yourself and make yourself player harder stuff you eventually become a better player.

You need to go to a range with trained professionals and ask their advice. Sign up for their courses, too.

Back