Shout out to Dave.

• Thread starter Thread starter thiswaythatway
  • Start date Start date
thiswaythatway
thiswaythatway
Me, Amplifire, and Robotechnology took a ride down to Daves and hung out with Vrad and Shredder75.....aka Splawn Police 8)

Dave has a serious collection of Marshall cabs in his basement and it was great to hear them all. I think even Yngwie could gig with Daves backline. Those old checkerboard cabs just reek mojo. Out of all of them that i heard i once again realize how much i like Greenbacks. I really prefer them over the 75's. And lately i really like how the 65 watt speakers sound, theydon't have the high end of the 75's to my ears. H30' are in the middle for me, i prefer the Greenies more, but of course everyone has their own tastes.

When we got there they were blasting the Splawn QR loaded with KT77's and yes, it sounded pretty awesome. The Splawn really is a beast, but my ears are still ringing :)

We also blasted a Boogie Mark III, a VHTUL, Straub Cantus, JCM800, and even a 5150. Oh yeah and some rack stuff too :neutral:

Dave really knows his stuff with cabs and whatnot, thanks again for having us over.

>|<>QBB<
danyeo":d2d1f said:
Out of all of them that i heard i once again realize how much i like Greenbacks. I really prefer them over the 75's. And lately i really like how the 65 watt speakers sound, theydon't have the high end of the 75's to my ears. :

Can you compare the GBs to the 65s please? Similarities, differences, etc.
thanks

>|<>QBB<
danyeo":b43c8 said:
Me, Amplifire, and Robotechnology took a ride down to Daves and hung out with Vrad and Shredder75.....aka Splawn Police 8)

Dave has a serious collection of Marshall cabs in his basement and it was great to hear them all. I think even Yngwie could gig with Daves backline. Those old checkerboard cabs just reek mojo. Out of all of them that i heard i once again realize how much i like Greenbacks. I really prefer them over the 75's. And lately i really like how the 65 watt speakers sound, theydon't have the high end of the 75's to my ears. H30' are in the middle for me, i prefer the Greenies more, but of course everyone has their own tastes.

When we got there they were blasting the Splawn QR loaded with KT77's and yes, it sounded pretty awesome. The Splawn really is a beast, but my ears are still ringing :)

We also blasted a Boogie Mark III, a VHTUL, Straub Cantus, JCM800, and even a 5150. Oh yeah and some rack stuff too :neutral:

Dave really knows his stuff with cabs and whatnot, thanks again for having us over.

+1

It was a blast Dave...thanks for having us!

>|<>QBB<
thegame":c7fb0 said:
>|<>QBB<

Can you compare the GBs to the 65s please? Similarities, differences, etc.
thanks

The 65's to me have more bottom and i would pick them for heavy tones. The Greens are just very sweet sounding to me, very warm yet have a nice grind to them with the right amp. But the speakers that Dave has are are broken in. BUT, i just remember that the Pre-Rolas he had did not sound that good at all, and everyone there agreed.

Dave kicks ass. :bang:

I got to meet him a year and a half a go in Texas, and I'm hoping we can hang out again next October.

P.S. I forgot to tell you that the Mic and cables got here in great shape. Thanks!

>|<>QBB<
danyeo":9870c said:
>|<>QBB<

The 65's to me have more bottom and i would pick them for heavy tones. The Greens are just very sweet sounding to me, very warm yet have a nice grind to them with the right amp. But the speakers that Dave has are are broken in. BUT, i just remember that the Pre-Rolas he had did not sound that good at all, and everyone there agreed.

Cool. Do the 65s also have this grind? (Meaning can they get aggressive)?

>|<>QBB<
Marshall Freak":b8392 said:
Dave kicks ass. :bang:

I got to meet him a year and a half a go in Texas, and I'm hoping we can hang out again next October.

P.S. I forgot to tell you that the Mic and cables got here in great shape. Thanks!

Great, thanks for a great transaction.

>|<>QBB<
thegame":a170d said:
>|<>QBB<

Cool. Do the 65s also have this grind? (Meaning can they get aggressive)?

Yeah, the 65's are really good for heavy tones. Amplifire also has a cab loaded with them. I had a JCM800 cab back in the 90's with them, wish i never sold it. Those speakers have balls. Maybe we can get someone to post a clip or 2. Hopefully Dave will chime in by tomorrow.

>|<>QBB<
danyeo":d5bf5 said:

Right before you guys got there... Dave put in the KT77's in the QR. I'm not sure if it was because the tubes were new, or we changed the settings/cabs/preamp tubes/guitars... But that was simply one of the best most unique metal tones I've heard in a long time. I think it was my Axis -> Splawn -> GB Rola cab. All JJ's in the QR, but I don't remember exactly... Man it sounded good!

definetly a great time..and big thanks to dave and vrad for puttin' those 77s in there...

my ears are still ringing..practice that thursday, gigs on friday and saturday then blasting amps on sunday.....ugh....I'm deef!

>|<>QBB<
shreder75":88d94 said:
definetly a great time..and big thanks to dave and vrad for puttin' those 77s in there...

my ears are still ringing..practice that thursday, gigs on friday and saturday then blasting amps on sunday.....ugh....I'm deef!

What do you think of the 77's?

>|<>QBB<
Marshall Freak":672d2 said:
>|<>QBB<

What do you think of the 77's?

they're like a kick in the chest from a pissed off mule....LOL..

definetly more low end and it's tight, not flubby..more hair on the high end...more subdued mids...

I haven't gotten much playing time on them yet...I think it sounds good..but they feel a little stiff to me..maybe because of the fact that the amp's tight to begin with and then throw the 77s in there which are even TIGHTER..that and the more subdued mids....harmonic structure's different too than the mullards...

I have a gig on friday night and that'll be the true test..but so far, I'm itching to get the mullards back in...

as I said, it still sounds good, but I like the feel and the sound of the mullards better..they suit me more....not bad tubes by any stretch of the imagination..just not 'me' so far as I can tell

Back