Marshall DSL Voodoo Mod Vs Marshall JVM

• Thread starter Thread starter MEGA GARGANTÃœA COLOSSÃœS
  • Start date Start date
M
MEGA GARGANTÃœA COLOSSÃœS
Thinking about the Marshall sound for hard rock/metal, so I'm trying do decide how to spend $$$ wisely.

Considering the new JVM, but there's lots of features I don't need. Also considering a Voodoo Deluxe modded Dual Super Lead. I figure these would be comparable in price, if I go Ebay on the DSL.

I figure I will probably have to upgrade tubes no matter what I pick.

Anyway, are there any opinions on this?

The new Vintage series 50 watter sounds right up your alley. KT66's instead of el34's.

A used DSL with fresh tubes and bias set properly might be the cheapest route.

What happens if you don't like the sound of an amp after you mod it. To me you'll never get what you have in it. Just my IMO. Get some thing you like. Go out and play amps with your guitar and see what you think.

If the DSL features hit what you need... go with the Voodoo and get the Rubys they sell. It's a great sound... I love my 6100 Voodoo mod, the Ruby's they biased up were primo, better than what I can do.

The JVM sounds awesome for features, we couldn't play them at NAMM, just listen to the dude do the demos.... Features-wise, it'd be a great amp to be modded, but I don't know if it'd be a good platform for a great mod, I'm not a tech.

I can tell you this... Trace and co are good people and will make you happy.

Happy hunting man.

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":d4d53 said:
What do you play music wise?

Judas Priest, Sabbath, Ozzy, Cliff-era Metallica. I also really like Clutch, Grand Magus and Spiritual Beggars. So it's sort of a "classic" metal sound that I'm after.

I'd love the tone from 'Screaming for Vengeance' which I've read is Marshalls (I think Tipton and Downing have been loyal Marshall users for decades.)

On another thread I posted a link to the Gearwire demo of the DSL and was very impressed. If you haven't seen it here it is:

http://www.gearwire.com/marshall-dsl100.html

I've read many very impressive things about Voodoo and Trace, and I love the soundclips of the Hex and Witchdoctor, I'm just tired of waiting for them to come out.

I have a deluxe modded DSL 50 and I love it. It's been my main amp for about 2 years. I was also thinking about the JVM when used ones start to appear, but I don't see it replacing my voodoo/dsl as my #1.

>|<>QBB<
PeteLaramee":99b68 said:
I have a deluxe modded DSL 50 and I love it. It's been my main amp for about 2 years. I was also thinking about the JVM when used ones start to appear, but I don't see it replacing my voodoo/dsl as my #1.

What can you tell me about the modded DSL? I'm looking for tons of gain, does the mod affect the gain at all? What kind of tunes are you using it for? Is it true that you can get a 'cranked' tone at bedroom levels?

My vote is to go w/ a modded marshall from Voodoo, but that's only because I haven't heard the JVM. I find sometimes that if I play through an amp with a load of features, I end up finding uses for the other channels I wouldn't normally be looking for.

That said, I use a single-channel witchdoctor as my #1.

DSL willl do what your asking ad the prices are going to drop next month so the picking is going to be good.

Honestly, I think your best bet would be to wait a few weeks and try the JVM or a vintage modern even. You could always find a dsl and send it off to be modded, but the stock amps might be everything you need. Trace is a great guy and does great work. If your not in a rush wait and try the new amps for yourself. I am holding off myself to try one before I make my next amp purchase..

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":4dd69 said:
DSL willl do what your asking ad the prices are going to drop next month so the picking is going to be good.

+1 if the dsl is the way you want to go, when the new amps start hitting the stores you will find a lot more dsl's up for sale I am sure.

>|<>QBB<
MEGA GARGANTÃœA COLOSSÃœS":fe780 said:
I figure I will probably have to upgrade tubes no matter what I pick.

The JVM comes with SED EL34 IIRC, possibly the best current production EL34. Pre's are a whoe different thing...it would be nice to know what pre amp tube is doing what in the JVM. Anyone have a clue about that? :?

>|<>QBB<
killertone":b1e30 said:
>|<>QBB<

The JVM comes with SED EL34 IIRC, possibly the best current production EL34. Pre's are a whoe different thing...it would be nice to know what pre amp tube is doing what in the JVM. Anyone have a clue about that? :?

How did you find out what power tubes they're using? As far as questions maybe this place can answer?

http://jvm410.com/forum/

A buddy of mine is the rep for TX. :)

Thanks for the link...I posted the question there. :thumbsup:

Back