OT: Pistol gripping

• Thread starter Thread starter kannibul
  • Start date Start date
>|<>QBB<
MitchSchaft":d1f18 said:
You need to go to a range with trained professionals and ask their advice. Sign up for their courses, too.

Yeah, I could have had the range for $70 for the year, or one of their courses ($100) - since I wanted to get out of there for as little as possible, I was able to get the range membership waived when I bought my gun because I had to be a member of their range in order to rent.

For me and Liz to go it'd be $200, where I have a lot of X-Cops, so I'm thinking I could work with one of them 1 on 1 (since I can take guests to the range) and buy them lunch/dinner that day and still come out ahead.

The other thing is I'm having a hard time working with my grip on it, since I still have stitches on my left hand and some of them seem to be connected to nerves, so I can't really get comfortable with my left hand, or evenreally apply any pressure to hold it more.

I was pushing with my right and pulling with my left today and it seemed to calm the recoil down - just my trigger finger is sore as hell as it seems to get pinched between either the trigger or the secondary trigger, and the trigger guard. Right at the corner of my fingernail...

I think I'll figure it out well enough - I mean even today without putting a lot of mental-focus on accuracy, I shot in the "10" on the chest for the most part, with some 9's.

>|<>QBB<
kannibul":29b62 said:
>|<>QBB<

Yeah, I could have had the range for $70 for the year, or one of their courses ($100) - since I wanted to get out of there for as little as possible, I was able to get the range membership waived when I bought my gun because I had to be a member of their range in order to rent.

For me and Liz to go it'd be $200, where I have a lot of X-Cops, so I'm thinking I could work with one of them 1 on 1 (since I can take guests to the range) and buy them lunch/dinner that day and still come out ahead.

The other thing is I'm having a hard time working with my grip on it, since I still have stitches on my left hand and some of them seem to be connected to nerves, so I can't really get comfortable with my left hand, or evenreally apply any pressure to hold it more.

I was pushing with my right and pulling with my left today and it seemed to calm the recoil down - just my trigger finger is sore as hell as it seems to get pinched between either the trigger or the secondary trigger, and the trigger guard. Right at the corner of my fingernail...

I think I'll figure it out well enough - I mean even today without putting a lot of mental-focus on accuracy, I shot in the "10" on the chest for the most part, with some 9's.

If you're new to shooting I'd suggest paying for a basic handgun course instead of going with a cop or ex-cop. Police are not the best shooters out there a lot of times, and many of them never practice except to qualify when required. A lot of cops never shot a pistol before entering the academy and unless they're SWAT they probably only got minimal training in the academy and then just shoot at paper once a year. I saw more bad shooting when I was in the academy than I do at a public gun range. One guy in my class talked trash about how he was going to shoot the center out of the target when we did firearms and when it came time to shoot the kid could barely hit the target. Learn from an instructor, not a guy with a gun.

Also, if you have a range that rents different guns try a few different styles out. You may find that you naturally shoot much better with one design over another. Just don't shoot a 1911 because after that you'll never shoot another plastic pistol again. :wink:

I would go to one of their instructors instead of a cop.

Cops carry guns, but you'd be surprised how many don't know what they should. Same thing goes with them knowing laws...(or not knowing)

>|<>QBB<
Odin":bd07b said:
>|<>QBB<

If you're new to shooting I'd suggest paying for a basic handgun course instead of going with a cop or ex-cop. Police are not the best shooters out there a lot of times, and many of them never practice except to qualify when required. A lot of cops never shot a pistol before entering the academy and unless they're SWAT they probably only got minimal training in the academy and then just shoot at paper once a year. I saw more bad shooting when I was in the academy than I do at a public gun range. One guy in my class talked trash about how he was going to shoot the center out of the target when we did firearms and when it came time to shoot the kid could barely hit the target. Learn from an instructor, not a guy with a gun.

Also, if you have a range that rents different guns try a few different styles out. You may find that you naturally shoot much better with one design over another. Just don't shoot a 1911 because after that you'll never shoot another plastic pistol again. :wink:

The guy I'm thinking of is an x-cop, has done security work here and overseas, and is a gun collector. He's told me he's shot (and killed) twice while on duty, (also served in Vietnam)....I'd sincerely hate to be the dumbass that breaks into his house...lol

I've thought about the 1911, actually. I'm thinking since it has a metal frame the recoil would be absorbed more, though, that's countered with it firing a .45ACP. I'd just have to shoot it to know.

>|<>QBB<
MitchSchaft":957db said:
I would go to one of their instructors instead of a cop.

Cops carry guns, but you'd be surprised how many don't know what they should. Same thing goes with them knowing laws...(or not knowing)

This is very true. But if you knew how many new laws we get each year, and how often the legislature changes them, and then how little in-service training is usually given about the laws, it's a wonder anyone can remember half of the laws out there.

>|<>QBB<
kannibul":8bf04 said:
>|<>QBB<

The guy I'm thinking of is an x-cop, has done security work here and overseas, and is a gun collector. He's told me he's shot (and killed) twice while on duty, (also served in Vietnam)....I'd sincerely hate to be the dumbass that breaks into his house...lol

I've thought about the 1911, actually. I'm thinking since it has a metal frame the recoil would be absorbed more, though, that's countered with it firing a .45ACP. I'd just have to shoot it to know.

The 1911 is a very comfortable design IMO and I won't carry anything else. It's also got the best trigger of any pistol. Try a good quality 1911 like a Kimber or Springfield and see how you like it. If you shoot a full size 1911 (5" bbl) with a steel frame the recoil should be very manageable, the alloy frames and compact frames will kick a little more.

Recoil is a matter of perception and technique, with some practice and a good technique recoil won't be a problem.

>|<>QBB<
Odin":7c079 said:
>|<>QBB<

The 1911 is a very comfortable design IMO and I won't carry anything else. It's also got the best trigger of any pistol. Try a good quality 1911 like a Kimber or Springfield and see how you like it. If you shoot a full size 1911 (5" bbl) with a steel frame the recoil should be very manageable, the alloy frames and compact frames will kick a little more.

Recoil is a matter of perception and technique, with some practice and a good technique recoil won't be a problem.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
All this is 100% true. Ive shot a lot of semi autos & a standard size 1911 is one of the finest. Plus its tried & true for almost 100 yrs, & has excellent stopping power. A lot of shooters hot-rod the hell outa these... :thumbsup:

>|<>QBB<
Odin":86da9 said:
>|<>QBB<

Yeah, I've been oogling over the Springfield 1911. I imagine my issue with the trigger pinching my finger on the XD I have will be a non-issue, just I worry about the amount of recoil over the 9mm I have.

If anything the 1911, if I get one, will be in addition. I like my XD a lot, dispite the things I don't like about it - lol - I guess I'm already attached to it - lol...

That, and I think keeping the 9mm around for Liz is an ideal thing...

Recoil on my Springfield 1911 really isnt much more noticable than my Beretta 92 fs. 9mm.

Rent one at a shooting range & give it a try! ;)

Back