Windows Vista.......yes or no????

• Thread starter Thread starter Digital Jams
  • Start date Start date
Best thing to do is to wait. And I'd wait even more so, OAS - Just for HDCP. If you don't want to change more shit later on, it's best to wait for a good HDCP supported video card or things won't be nice later on for hi-def stuff.

This will be a recording production machine only so Hidef will not be an issue. Won't even be connected to the inet.

Heh I'm going to be waiting a LONG time before I get a new one. Like he said, it's just for a recording PC, and I think in case he puts Vista on and the graphics stuff bogs it down, so I think he's OK.

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":8276f said:
This will be a recording production machine only so Hidef will not be an issue. Won't even be connected to the inet.

I know it's expensive as hell, but why not a Mac? The new iMacs and Mac Pros kill :D And the OS isn't riddled with defectoware.

For one thing, I believe he uses Fruity Loops, and that's Winblows only.

>|<>QBB<
Variable":65666 said:
>|<>QBB<

The only possible reason I would have to upgrade to Vista is DX10. And that's assuming MS fucks all its XP customers over and doesn't realease DX10 for that platform.

I wanna play Crysis in DX10 dammit :x

They are. DX10 is Vista only.

>|<>QBB<
OneArmedScissor":4487f said:

OAS....all knowing and the twisted sage of RT.

I'm going to get to test Vista out firsthand over the next while - my laptop crapped out on me on Monday, and everything at Circuit City already had Vista preloaded on it... I needed the computer fast, so I guess I'll have to deal with it...

>|<>QBB<
OneArmedScissor":39366 said:

Ah. In that case I'd recommend a Mac + Reason 3 :D But that's just me :)

>|<>QBB<
mysticaxe":9791c said:
I'm going to get to test Vista out firsthand over the next while - my laptop crapped out on me on Monday, and everything at Circuit City already had Vista preloaded on it... I needed the computer fast, so I guess I'll have to deal with it...

If it comes preloaded on a PC you can uninstall it, put XP on there and request a refund from MS. Really, this is the best way to let MS know they put out a craptastic product.

Even if Vista turns out to be an amazing OS, the EULA is pretty draconian.

>|<>QBB<
Variable":059bd said:
>|<>QBB<

If it comes preloaded on a PC you can uninstall it, put XP on there and request a refund from MS. Really, this is the best way to let MS know they put out a craptastic product.

Even if Vista turns out to be an amazing OS, the EULA is pretty draconian.

I could, but I'm too damn lazy/busy to deal with it - unless, of course, the OS forces the issue...

Well just read a thread stating that 650 meg of ram was used with nothing launched on an update to Vista..........no way Vista now.

Sheeeeeeeeeet....I need close to a gig just for fully loaded kits on BFD.

I saw a blurb on the news that said when you purchase Vista, you enter into a user agreement that states Microsoft can scan your machine at any time to check for unathorized software. Vista has the power to delete those programs as well. Scary stuff...

>|<>QBB<
thegame":f1b71 said:
I saw a blurb on the news that said when you purchase Vista, you enter into a user agreement that states Microsoft can scan your machine at any time to check for unathorized software. Vista has the power to delete those programs as well. Scary stuff...

No shit? Hmmm. I'll have to read the eula more carefully next time we install it here at work.

>|<>QBB<
thegame":af733 said:

As I mentioned, the EULA for Vista is fucked up. I give it a month before someone releases a "defectoware-free" version on Torrentspy...

>|<>QBB<
thegame":df6c3 said:

Not exactly. The only agreement is that they can scan your machine at any time to determine if WINDOWS VISTA is unauthorized. Which is activation... WGA etc. NOT anything else. Really, nothing changed vs XP.

Also, Vista has been completely hacked. Im not going to say how, but the method is such that you can use it forever and get updates and whatnot. Whether anyone wants to go through the trouble is another matter.

>|<>QBB<
redrol":fb7de said:
>|<>QBB<

Not exactly. The only agreement is that they can scan your machine at any time to determine if WINDOWS VISTA is unauthorized. Which is activation... WGA etc. NOT anything else. Really, nothing changed vs XP.

Also, Vista has been completely hacked. Im not going to say how, but the method is such that you can use it forever and get updates and whatnot. Whether anyone wants to go through the trouble is another matter.

I see two versions on TorrentSpy already, one of 'em is Enterprise Edition and the other is Ultimate. Looks like there's a crack to basically turn off the 14-day trial counter so you never have to activate.

Anyway, the scary part I read in the EULA is for Windows Defender; it basically can scan your system at any time and kill whatever it wants according to the EULA. This is only supposed to be "spyware, adware and viruses". The way it is written, though, it could delete a "false positive" without your permission, or even knowing for that matter.

Also, the DRM rules for HD mean that even if your hardware is capable of playing HD content, if it's not something MPAA likes, your signal will be downsampled to craptastitude. Gotta love those "features" :D

>|<>QBB<
Variable":a0a72 said:
>|<>QBB<

Ah. In that case I'd recommend a Mac + Reason 3 :D But that's just me :)

Nothing wrong with Reason, but it's very different from Fruity Loops. I actually like recording stuff and then loading it into FL just because of the layout and the ease of making any parameters adjust themselves throughout the track.

It's also cheap and lifetime updates are free if you buy it from their site or pay them like $20 or something.

I'm just hoping they make it capable of multi-track recording right onto the playlist window where you can make it show audio. It'd be the perfect all-in-one program for me then.

Reason is weird.

I was able to do all of the same shit, but it's just in a different package, and Reason had nicer drums than my stole copy of FL. Bother were stolen from the internet, actually.

I really like FL though. I started using it first, and everything is setup nicely.

When looking at the mac computers, I didn't see anything I was familiar with. So there was no real reason for me to switch and learn how to use all of these new tools.

With unstolen FL, you get access to their downloadable library, which is huge and I'd imagine has some real drum samples. I don't think FL is exactly intended to be used for making drum tracks. The program is geared heavily toward screwing around with stuff and making electronic-based sounds and music. All the drum stuff it does include works well for that.

There are some free samples out there that aren't too bad, though, like nskit.

Even with good samples, I think drums programmed in that manner and used in an attempt to replicate real drums sound terrible, though. You need TONS of samples and ways to alternate between them, which is what programs like Drumkit From Hell are for.

Back