Boy did Randall poop the bed when they stopped making the RG100ES

• Thread starter Thread starter mctallica1
  • Start date Start date
>|<>QBB<
mctallica1":b9915 said:
>|<>QBB<

Yep, sure does.

I am going to move it along though. :P I bought it to check it out (as I had never played one before) and now that I have, I am going to move it to someone else.

I am on a huge Mako kick right now and am thinking of ordering a Dorado to go with my Makoplex :wink:

diggin the Mako huh? I REALLY like the clips I've heard, I'd like to check them out myself....They sound HUGE!

check out the clips on my bands page. www.myspace.com/diavolo803
this isn't mixed yet, but i recorded all the tracks with my rg100es. imo, the new randalls don't even come close, especially at volume. i also like to boost it, but not use an external eq. the rg200's, and rh100's, aren't the same amps at all, and won't get a loud as the rg 100es's. same goes for the ampeg vh140c, it has more gain, but starts getting crappy at high volume. i've had good results recording the ampeg, just don't like using it live. there really was some mojo in those old randalls though, i dont know why they can't seem to duplicate it.

Yeah man, killer amps. The RG100ES has been my favourite amp for quite a while now.

>|<>QBB<
mchn13":cf682 said:
check out the clips on my bands page. www.myspace.com/diavolo803
this isn't mixed yet, but i recorded all the tracks with my rg100es. imo, the new randalls don't even come close, especially at volume. i also like to boost it, but not use an external eq. the rg200's, and rh100's, aren't the same amps at all, and won't get a loud as the rg 100es's. same goes for the ampeg vh140c, it has more gain, but starts getting crappy at high volume. i've had good results recording the ampeg, just don't like using it live. there really was some mojo in those old randalls though, i dont know why they can't seem to duplicate it.

Actually, the rg200es (VERY rare amp) was basically an early Century 200, which is based off the rg100es. Pretty killer amp, and can probably hang with a rg100es.

BTW, your tone on those clips is pretty killer.

Cool, I have a RG-80ES coming soon I cant wait to compare against my VH140-C. Can the randall do metal without a boost? I dont have a problem using a boost I was just curious.

no you'll need a boost, to do more extreme metal, but it'll put a smile on your face when you hit the right settings, its an angry amp,haha.

>|<>QBB<
anomaly":235b8 said:
>|<>QBB<

Actually, the rg200es (VERY rare amp) was basically an early Century 200, which is based off the rg100es. Pretty killer amp, and can probably hang with a rg100es.

BTW, your tone on those clips is pretty killer.

sorry anomaly , you're right, i was thinking of the new combos that have the rg200 designation. i think someone on the forum here had one of the real rg200's, i just cant remember who. maybe they'll pop in.

I got one. Took it in as a trade sweetener. Still have not plugged it in haha.

>|<>QBB<
BOOGIE444":d9873 said:
Cool, I have a RG-80ES coming soon I cant wait to compare against my VH140-C. Can the randall do metal without a boost? I dont have a problem using a boost I was just curious.

With the treble pull boost engaged (treble pot pulled) it'll definitely get you some metal tone by itself... maybe not modern metal tone, but metal nontheless. The thing about that treble boost is it drops the volume down quite a bit, so in a live situation it might pose a problem as far as volume. Personally, i never use that feature. With the treble boost UNengaged (treble pot pushed in) i'd recommend a overdrive/boost pedal of some sort, cause you won't get that saturated palm muted chunk happening without one, but you'll get all of the volume (which is ALOT more than your average 100 - 120 watt SS head), plenty for any live situation. These amps sound great with boosts though, so don't be shy to boost. 8)

>|<>QBB<
mchn13":2ab56 said:
no you'll need a boost, to do more extreme metal, but it'll put a smile on your face when you hit the right settings, its an angry amp,haha.

Yup, a boost is needed for the more modern metal tones. Definetely an angry amp though.

One of the heaviest tones i've ever heard was recorded with a rg100es: Crowbar - sonic excess in its purest form.

Back