Need gainfreaks Mk IV settings diagram

• Thread starter Thread starter yngzaklynch
  • Start date Start date
Thanks for this post!!!! I just got a MKIV in at my store and brought it home for the weekend. I started with Ralph's settings and it sounds pretty cool through my Bogner cab with G12H30's in it. It's not kicking my ass though..... not at all. I am going to give it more time because all the guys with ears I respect on the east coast love these things.

Should I be boosting it after setting it up to Ralph's settings?

>|<>QBB<
Chubtone":9add3 said:
Thanks for this post!!!! I just got a MKIV in at my store and brought it home for the weekend. I started with Ralph's settings and it sounds pretty cool through my Bogner cab with G12H30's in it. It's not kicking my ass though..... not at all. I am going to give it more time because all the guys with ears I respect on the east coast love these things.

I am not boosting the amp but I have a little bit more volume room then Ralph so that may be the reason. I used Ralph's settings as my starting point and worked from there, I think he has a pre amp tube in V1 that is darker than I because I had to roll back the highs.

I run through a Diezel 4x12 with H30s and it sounds great......better than my GB loaded cab.

No offense to Gainfreak, but those settings sound like ass on my set up. To much treble, ear piercing and thin. I have an open back cab Avatar cab with V30 and G12h30. I run the same settings except I run my lead bass at 5 and my mids at 7. I also run them higher than his settings on my other channels too. This may or may not work for you depending on your cab and guitar, but just be aware that what works for one person's rig doesn't work for anothers.

I also run the lead gain at 7 and drive at 5-6 but that wasn't as important to the fatness of the tone as much as the mids were.

Good luck.

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Brady":696e4 said:
No offense to Gainfreak, but those settings sound like ass on my set up. To much treble, ear piercing and thin. I have an open back cab Avatar cab with V30 and G12h30. I run the same settings except I run my lead bass at 5 and my mids at 7. I also run them higher than his settings on my other channels too. This may or may not work for you depending on your cab and guitar, but just be aware that what works for one person's rig doesn't work for anothers.

I also run the lead gain at 7 and drive at 5-6 but that wasn't as important to the fatness of the tone as much as the mids were.

Good luck.

No offense taken!! the only thing that I did wrong when posting my settings was in not including a disclaimer that would tell everyone what tubes and speakers I was using. If You use my setting through a v30 loaded cab and you have bright sounding tubes in your amp, it will sound like hammered shit. i also have to let everyone know that I have version 1 of the MKIV.

>|<>QBB<
Chubtone":a7a2b said:

is your bogner cab 8 or 16 ohms?

>|<>QBB<
Gainfreak":bef3f said:
>|<>QBB<

No offense taken!! the only thing that I did wrong when posting my settings was to include a disclaimer that would tell everyone what tubes and speakers I was using. If You use my setting through a v30 loaded cab and you have bright sounding tubes in your amp, it will sound like hammered shit. i also have to let everyone know that I have version 1 of the MKIV.

That's cool, It is a very good starting point for the most part. I think the combo of the open back cab and the v30 gave me to many highs. I also have Electro Harmonix tubes in there which are pretty bright. With some extra mids and bass it sings though. I'm also playing a HSS lonestar strat with it and not a lp or HH guitar which would also sound darker.

>|<>QBB<
Gainfreak":4d0a4 said:
>|<>QBB<

No offense taken!! the only thing that I did wrong when posting my settings was to include a disclaimer that would tell everyone what tubes and speakers I was using. If You use my setting through a v30 loaded cab and you have bright sounding tubes in your amp, it will sound like hammered shit. i also have to let everyone know that I have version 1 of the MKIV.

If you had to choose just one 4x12, would it be the Mesa Half-Back with MC90s and EVs?

>|<>QBB<
Code001":fbf47 said:
>|<>QBB<

If you had to choose just one 4x12, would it be the Mesa Half-Back with MC90s and EVs?

Yes, It would be either a half back cab with all Mc90's or the ev/90 combo. Both kill. I also love greenbacks, 65's and h30's but that is another story!!

Another thing that I would mention is that the amp was designed around front loaded cabs. That said, my Earcandy buzzbomb cab with MC90's kills!! Its the only 2x12 cab I really dig

>|<>QBB<
Chubtone":9c268 said:

Thats the culprit then. You are only getting half the power of the amp and it will change the tone for sure.'' although it should still sound good :D

its funny... at the JP and boogie boards... everyone things those settings are shit... 'it would be aweful without the eq... no mids, no bass?!?!?'

>|<>QBB<
T2Russo":a7ee6 said:
its funny... at the JP and boogie boards... everyone things those settings are shit... 'it would be aweful without the eq... no mids, no bass?!?!?'

The EQ light is ON for Gainfreaks MKIV settings :?

The only thing different I'd do to gainfreak's settings would be:

Move the 220 and 2200 Hz sliders even w/ the middle line
Bring down the 750 Hz slider slightly
Move rotary mids to 5
Adjust gain to taste

Dunno about the Tweed/Full thing though, nor some of the pulled options. I use a Mesa Trad. cab w/ V30s, BTW. His settings are good starting points though, IMO.

>|<>QBB<
T2Russo":07afe said:

These settings work great with the rig I am using and I have the graphic EQ engaged at all times on the lead channel. The setting posted is only 1 of many settings that I use but it works well with my settup YMMV

It works for me and I get compliments on my tone no matter where I play. I was only sharing what works for me. That's the beauty of the MKIV.. a few twists of the eq or a few twists of the knobs can make all the differance. I tell everyone to use mine as a baseline and to experiment. Nothing is etched in stone.

>|<>QBB<
T2Russo":951fd said:

The JP board guys would shit if they played Ralph's rig at his house, for me that is the benchmark of home jamming. I still remember the day I first heard it, it is just amazing.

I hate Ralph for being 110 miles away. He sucks :x

>|<>QBB<
T2Russo":c08e4 said:
Have the JP guys actually played a Mark IV? :mrgreen:

Well, I am buying a Mark IV today and look forward to getting it and trying the settings out. :)

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":2e937 said:
>|<>QBB<

I am not boosting the amp but I have a little bit more volume room then Ralph so that may be the reason. I used Ralph's settings as my starting point and worked from there, I think he has a pre amp tube in V1 that is darker than I because I had to roll back the highs.

I run through a Diezel 4x12 with H30s and it sounds great......better than my GB loaded cab.

What's the GB cab lacking with the Mark IV? Just curious, I'm fixing to get a Mark III when I can work it out and at least one variety of GB cabs... I've got others lying around, just trying to get my mental ducks in a row. :)

code001,

Have you played a mark IV before? The graphic eq interacts different on that amp than the mark III.

Nope, haven't played one. I'm just going on what settings I'd start out with for a lead tone.

Back