new avatar cabs!!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter JackBootedThug
  • Start date Start date
>|<>QBB<
Glimpse":ddce9 said:
>|<>QBB<

Could you describe the MC90s for me Digital Jams? I've seen this speaker mentioned a lot with you Boogie guys, but don't really know much about the tonal qualities...

Some of the others like Danyeo or Ralph would be better than I, I know that the MK stuff was designed around the MC90s. They are very simular to the Celestion CL80s and rumor is that Mesa does something to them. Smoother than greenbacks and nice mid voicing is my view.

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":0d76b said:
>|<>QBB<

Some of the others like Danyeo or Ralph would be better than I, I know that the MK stuff was designed around the MC90s. They are very simular to the Celestion CL80s and rumor is that Mesa does something to them. Smoother than greenbacks and nice mid voicing is my view.

Sweet. I want to get a 2X12 cab, just because I don't have the room or need for a 4X12 being a home rocker heh. However, my favorite speaker is the Greenie, and I'm worried about having a 50w cab with amp possibilities being the JVM (100w) and the SigX (100/60w). I don't want to blow em, ya know?

>|<>QBB<
Glimpse":76c8e said:
>|<>QBB<

Sweet. I want to get a 2X12 cab, just because I don't have the room or need for a 4X12 being a home rocker heh. However, my favorite speaker is the Greenie, and I'm worried about having a 50w cab with amp possibilities being the JVM (100w) and the SigX (100/60w). I don't want to blow em, ya know?

A 4x12 is the same foot print as the 2x12s so no extra space is required really. I would wait till Ralph and Steve put the JVM through several cabs to see what works and what does not before deciding.

>|<>QBB<
Glimpse":05332 said:
>|<>QBB<

The Mc90 is a warm speaker with a smooth high end. The mids are pronounced and the bottom end is pretty tight. In retrospec, the Mc90's reminded me of an old pre rola h30 that heard years ago especially when its loaded in a front loaded cab. Most guys who dig greenies like the mc90's for some reason;) Maybe Danyeo will chime in if he is not to hung over from the superbowl :hys:

>|<>QBB<
tnourse":8db7f said:
How do the Avatar cabs compare to other high quality cabs like Bogner, Splawn or VHT??

I've used speakers from Avatar (Hellatones), but never tried one of their cabs.

I want to order a new cab this week.

:)

The Avatar Premium Vintage cab's are Mojotone cabs. Dave told me himself, as well as telling me he isn't making a dime off them...

Dave is one cool cat. I love talking to him - as he's always got an interesting story.

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":eb360 said:
I wish I could see the inside of the cab, don't really care about the outside.

Both the Mojo cabs and Avatar cabs are built very well; I speak from firsthand experience about this.

>|<>QBB<
JamesPeters":a2ce6 said:
>|<>QBB<

Both the Mojo cabs and Avatar cabs are built very well; I speak from firsthand experience about this.

If they are Mojo cabs I have nothing bad to say, I know several people that have them and like them very much.

Sheeeet $435 for a 4x12 with my speakers of choice sounds great and I could spam the speakers to get my MC90s like Ralph said.

>|<>QBB<
kannibul":632a5 said:
>|<>QBB<

The Avatar Premium Vintage cab's are Mojotone cabs. Dave told me himself, as well as telling me he isn't making a dime off them...

Dave is one cool cat. I love talking to him - as he's always got an interesting story.

Dave is way cool and so down to earth. He trully understands guitar rigs IMHO and what makes a good cabinet and what is overkill. We talked for a good twinty minutes about speakers to finger picking when I was ordering the other day. My Premium Vintage is being shipped today. :D

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":d22ef said:
>|<>QBB<

If they are Mojo cabs I have nothing bad to say, I know several people that have them and like them very much.

The 2x12 that I have is an Avatar, and I've seen inside a few of their other cabs too. The way they put it together is a clever way of making it somewhat easier to build than usual for a well-sealed/strong cab; it's well engineered so that they can get away with making them the price they do and also the quality that they are.

As for Mojo stuff, I've seen a fair bit of it (inside and out), and I'm now getting them to build my head shells, so you know I'm on board with them. :)

I can atest to Dave being a cool guy ! i ordered 2 hellatone 60's and 2 Gt 75's this morning. HOLY FUCKIN DEAL!!$$$$ 8)

about the cabs though, are they birtch or poplar??? and better than a marshall??? (which isnt that great anyways.) for lower tuned metal???

i may be able to move like 4 of these out of daves hands :twisted:

They're a good quality/good sounding plywood, whatever they are. I actually don't care whether they're a certain wood or not as long as they sound good, so I haven't tried to determine what they are.

They sound good for lots of music. I find them to be at least as good as the best Marshall cabs I've heard, but I don't know what you particularly dislike about Marshall cabs (if it's the speakers for instance, that's not really a good way to be comparing them since Marshall cabs typically have G12T-75s nowadays).

>|<>QBB<
kannibul":a3352 said:
>|<>QBB<

If this is the case,then this is one hellofa deal from Avatar. Theres a dealer that sells unloaded MOJO 4x12 cabs for $350.00 plus $50.00 to ship on E-Bay.

>|<>QBB<
JamesPeters":ccfb4 said:
They're a good quality/good sounding plywood, whatever they are. I actually don't care whether they're a certain wood or not as long as they sound good, so I haven't tried to determine what they are.

They sound good for lots of music. I find them to be at least as good as the best Marshall cabs I've heard, but I don't know what you particularly dislike about Marshall cabs (if it's the speakers for instance, that's not really a good way to be comparing them since Marshall cabs typically have G12T-75s nowadays).

i have a marshall cab, and with an x pattern it sounds awsome. but marshall is far from the early 70's front loaded hi-watt i have with the same x-pattern. marshall's are ok. not the best but ok.

>|<>QBB<
BURNTHISCORPSE":708e8 said:
>|<>QBB<

i have a marshall cab, and with an x pattern it sounds awsome. but marshall is far from the early 70's front loaded hi-watt i have with the same x-pattern. marshall's are ok. not the best but ok.

I think your preferences aren't being expressed very objectively, since I've heard a shitload of Marshall and Hiwatt cabs, and haven't found one brand to be particularly better than the other on the whole when the speakers are the same. I like both about equally. As for my own personal tastes for the music I play the most (when I do, lol), then I start getting picky about each individual cab, if it sounds different from the "identical one" sitting beside it in a store and so on.

dude, not to be a pecker here, but damn, i had the same speakers in both cabs previously and the hi-watt blew it away , NO contest. better internal construction, front loaded, and 13 ply birtch. smoother, more depth and low end and way more punch.

He's saying not to make sweeping generalizations based on two cabs. *hint hint nudge nudge*

>|<>QBB<
John4021":703ba said:
>|<>QBB<

If this is the case,then this is one hellofa deal from Avatar. Theres a dealer that sells unloaded MOJO 4x12 cabs for $350.00 plus $50.00 to ship on E-Bay.

The 2x12 is the only one I know of - specifically the "oversized" Marshall Bluesbreaker / Bogner cab.

The others I don't know who makes them...

Me and Dave talked for about an hour, hour and 20 minutes that day...all about cabinets, business, how he won't allow someone handle his orders on the east coast for the east coast, how he's setting himself up to be as hands-off as possible while keeping his quality standards high, talked about some family issues he was having and breaking through and how it's changed his perspective on life in general.

Actually, there wasn't much talking - it was listening on my part. Even though I didn't say much, I still think Dave's a cool cat, and I think he's offering a great product at a great price. Just...I like the Marshall Cab I had...

:D

Back