OT: Disconnecting the tone pot

• Thread starter Thread starter Drkorey
  • Start date Start date
D
Drkorey
What changes when you disconnect your tone pot? I'm thinking of doing it to my Gibby V. Discuss

It's like having the tone pot turned to 11 all the time.

>|<>QBB<
Drkorey":179d8 said:
What changes when you disconnect your tone pot? I'm thinking of doing it to my Gibby V. Discuss

you'll get more gain and bit more top end.

i did it to clean up muddy low end after a pickup swap, really think it will do more for low end than anything?

suppose the tone pots do affect things some when all the up, but i really beleave that elimanating the tone capacitor probably is doing more?

i've got a fuzz pedal that lets you change the little tone capacitors, it's amazing how much they'll change the sound.

Well, I'll just have to try it next time I change strings.
What do you do with the wires then? Tape the ends up or do you ground them to the back of the pot??

strings won't even come into play. it's all done in the control cavity.

been awhile since i've done, but basically figure out what wires go to the input jack from the tone pot/pots. think you'll only be dealing with the hot wires, so no desoldering grounds?

Duncan has really good wiring pictures on thier site, maybe Gibson does as well.

i'd suggest, if you've got enough extra wire in there, to clip stuff in a manner that would allow for easy reversal if you don't like it. then wire it up without soldering first, tape it and play it. if you like it solder it.

so if i'm remembering right, you just gotta get the pickup hots straight to the input jack?

on a couple of my guitars I've replaced the tone pot with a push/pull pot and wired it to remove the tone cap from the circuit. that way, I still have the versatility.

a certain amp mod "guru" :roll: did that to my old guitarists 59' lp re-issue. he was raving about how awsome it would be. it was a horrible mistake. shrilly high end and bright shitty tone.

>|<>QBB<
BURNTHISCORPSE":85cc8 said:
a certain amp mod "guru" :roll: did that to my old guitarists 59' lp re-issue. he was raving about how awsome it would be. it was a horrible mistake. shrilly high end and bright shitty tone.

Jeebus - that's exactly what I want to avoid/improve on the guitar tone

yeah its from a really respected guy who is pretty much full of shit but most of you dont know that or wouldn't believe it.

we're talking sweet plexi tone, greenbacks, powerbrake, awsomeness........then, snip, snip.........OMFG what is that garbage!!! if it works for some i guess good for them, this was my first hand experience.
i would change to maybe a different value capacitor or something but thats not my field so i wouldnt have any info for ya.

Back