Soooo. This is going to piss some of you off.

• Thread starter Thread starter again with this
  • Start date Start date
again with this
again with this
I was killing some time today between service calls and dropped by some music stores that are too far away from home to frequent.

First, there was Guitar Showcase. If you are in the 408 area code you know about this joint. Guitars in huge humadors with sliding glass doors. All kinds of vintage and unique grooviness. Great for the drool factor.

Next, I thought I'd strole throught the Guitar Center in San Jose since I was in the area. They have moved, maybe a half mile down Stevens Creek. I couldn't resist looking around the new showroom. It is very nice. Lots of room. More room that selection, actually.

And what did I find sitting in "the vault" of high end stuff?

A VHT deliverance 60 combo. It was tagged $1800 USED. Yikes! I bagan to salivate none the less. I began testing out explanations, in my head, for my wife of why I had to buy it. I grabbed a V, like mine, and plugged in. I asked the kid trying to sell it to me if it had KT88s... He bent over and looked inside the amp and said, "looks like they're P50s..." I said, "Ummm, KT88s are tubes...".

Exit weasely sales kid. Which was fine.

On to the pissing off...

Disclaimers:
1) I was between jobs and couln't spend as much time with it as I would have liked. Maybe only about 15-20 minutes.
2) I am sure there would be more to explore with a whole band at "full volume".

I plug into the thing and start playing and twisting knobs. I really liked the idea of the cascading gain. I liked it a lot. A whole really lot. But not $1800 USED a lot. In fact, I found it very 5150 like. Saturated preamp distortion, similar controls and loud. It did have something "special" about it, maybe it wat the KT88s, but not 3 times the price of a used 5150 "special".

Final review: very cool but very over priced for what you get compared to what else is out there.

No. This in NOT inteded to be a flame thread. But, I will dawn my asbestos underpants just the same.

I've played that same amp. It's the biggest combo I've ever seen! But I loved the amp, the tweakable gain and EQ is just to die for.

They also had a D120H stack in the back!

>|<>QBB<
again with this":c3551 said:
I was killing some time today between service calls and dropped by some music stores that are too far away from home to frequent.

First, there was Guitar Showcase. If you are in the 408 area code you know about this joint. Guitars in huge humadors with sliding glass doors. All kinds of vintage and unique grooviness. Great for the drool factor.

Next, I thought I'd strole throught the Guitar Center in San Jose since I was in the area. They have moved, maybe a half mile down Stevens Creek. I couldn't resist looking around the new showroom. It is very nice. Lots of room. More room that selection, actually.

And what did I find sitting in "the vault" of high end stuff?

A VHT deliverance 60 combo. It was tagged $1800 USED. Yikes! I bagan to salivate none the less. I began testing out explanations, in my head, for my wife of why I had to buy it. I grabbed a V, like mine, and plugged in. I asked the kid trying to sell it to me if it had KT88s... He bent over and looked inside the amp and said, "looks like they're P50s..." I said, "Ummm, KT88s are tubes...".

Exit weasely sales kid. Which was fine.

On to the pissing off...

Disclaimers:
1) I was between jobs and couln't spend as much time with it as I would have liked. Maybe only about 15-20 minutes.
2) I am sure there would be more to explore with a whole band at "full volume".

I plug into the thing and start playing and twisting knobs. I really liked the idea of the cascading gain. I liked it a lot. A whole really lot. But not $1800 USED a lot. In fact, I found it very 5150 like. Saturated preamp distortion, similar controls and loud. It did have something "special" about it, maybe it wat the KT88s, but not 3 times the price of a used 5150 "special".

Final review: very cool but very over priced for what you get compared to what else is out there.

No. This in NOT inteded to be a flame thread. But, I will dawn my asbestos underpants just the same.

As a D60 owner that doesnt piss me off at all. To each his own and tone is very subjective. Given that, to my ear the 5150 sounds nothing like it and the VHT is more open and responds real well to touch and volume on the giutar. Way more than the compressed feel of the 5150.

VHT sounded like a 5150? I havent payed the Deliverence but the UL was nothing like it. :?

The 50CL I had sounded nothing like a 5150 in any way, shape, or form.

I played that 120 when it was in the soundproof room. It was good but not 2100 bucks good. The new Sig X should be perfect if you like the D. I was thining of going to Guitar Center and putting an order in for it but now I see the Elmwood Modena 90 which I hear is a KICKASS amp but also at least 3600. :o Decision, decisions.......First I need the money. :lol: You guys like the new location? I liked the old store better.

>|<>QBB<
Megadeth7684":bf793 said:
Cl50 is el34s and the Deliverance and UL runs KT88s. I noticed a little reminiscent tone of a 6505 + when I played the D120. Only a little.

If you ask me, the Deliverance has Hiwatt-ish vibe to it, I can also tweak it to sound very similar to my Super Bass...

>|<>QBB<
Megadeth7684":c05c3 said:

...and that's a selling point for me, and one reason why I love my VHT. :D

>|<>QBB<
simbasa":d4eda said:
>|<>QBB< Cl50 is el34s and the Deliverance and UL runs KT88s. I noticed a little reminiscent tone of a 6505 + when I played the D120. Only a little.

Some 50CLs can run 6L6s also.

I liked the UL i had but i did sell it. I recently borrowed one and it just didn't do it for me, maybe it was my cab? But i couldn't live with that amp unless i get to boost with a good OD pedal.

I'm surprised to see a used combo....they've only had one run of them and it was just before XMAS....I was just playing ours tonite before going home, I don't think it sounds anything like a 5150...

Weird....
I think the only think a Deliverance has in common with a 5150 is that they are both guitar amps.....
And it is pretty strange that one is floating around used.
On the other hand, I do love those KT88 speakers :irre:
And those P50E tubes.....

>|<>QBB<
Greazygeo":c3eb4 said:
I'm surprised to see a used combo....they've only had one run of them and it was just before XMAS....I was just playing ours tonite before going home, I don't think it sounds anything like a 5150...

Not surprising to me, there is a guy selling an amp right now that has not been shipped to him yet :? :lol:

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":a6324 said:
>|<>QBB<

Not surprising to me, there is a guy selling an amp right now that has not been shipped to him yet :? :lol:
Really? I wonder who that could be..... :)

Back