Windows Vista.......yes or no????

• Thread starter Thread starter Digital Jams
  • Start date Start date
I'm looking to get a laptop this spring, and I was told by a *bestbuy employee* that if I uninstalled Vista to install XP, some of the hardware may not work as well, as he claimed it may be designed around Vista. I obviously don't buy it, as it was a BB employee ;)

Anyone weigh in on this?

Just picked up a new computer with Windows Vista yesterday, so far so good...

Why note get a Mac when you can have both Mac OSX and Winblows running natively in the same machine ????

You will have Leopard soon and you will be able to do it flawlessly.

Besides , Vista is a copy of OSX and will be what Mac users started using in 2001.

I mean, why buy a 2001 car when you can get a 2007 car????

If it was a 1962 Deluxe Fender i would understand , otherwise , it really makes no sense at all to me!

>|<>QBB<
macmax":fb681 said:
Vhy nute-a get a Mec vhee yuoo cun hefe-a but Mec OoSX und Veenbloos roonneeng neteefely in zee seme-a mecheene-a ???? Yuoo veell hefe-a Leuperd suun und yuoo veell be-a eble-a tu du it flevlessly. Bork bork bork! Beseedes , Feesta is a cupy ooff OoSX und veell be-a vhet Mec users sterted useeng in 2001. I meun, vhy booy a 2001 cer vhee yuoo cun get a 2007 cer???? Iff it ves a 1962 Delooxe-a Fender i vuoold understund , oozeerveese-a , it reelly mekes nu sense-a et ell tu me!

Oh.

>|<>QBB<
Shiny_Surface":20898 said:
That's your comment not his, you fabricated it to make it look like he said that and not you.

You have some sort of hate campaign going on, lol

hahahha, you got me, i am really SJ!!! :mrgreen:

>|<>QBB<
nwright":85717 said:
I'm looking to get a laptop this spring, and I was told by a *bestbuy employee* that if I uninstalled Vista to install XP, some of the hardware may not work as well, as he claimed it may be designed around Vista. I obviously don't buy it, as it was a BB employee ;)

Anyone weigh in on this?

ummm, the only thing I can think of here is maybe directx10 enabled graphics cards. There are a few cards/chipsets coming out with features that directx 9 doesn't support, and directx 10 is vista-only. I'm not sure if the multi-threading code is any different, so XP may not utilize multi-core processors as efficiently, but thats just farking conjecture on my part. Back to the directx thing, I don't know that there are any games/programs out that really support directx 10's feature set, besides maybe Flight Simulator X, so you needing all of directx10's features is unlikely, at least for now.

>|<>QBB<
defpearlpilot":d231d said:
I have to admit that the honeymoon is wearing off with Mac OS X. I admit that I love the OS but it is less stable in *my* experience with it. In particular, QuickTime and VLC. They both break down and they won't die even with a "kill -9!" I try to logoff and the OS just sits there. I have to reboot the entire machine to fix this problem. I'm downloading Vista to check it out.

What versions do you have of each? Also, what media files are you trying to play? Let me know and I'll do the best I can to help you. I might even have you switch over to a different media player since VLC was mainly meant for streaming media that could play other files, where as there are other things out there which might be able to do what you want to do better.

>|<>QBB<
defpearlpilot":8b2b6 said:
I have to admit that the honeymoon is wearing off with Mac OS X. I admit that I love the OS but it is less stable in *my* experience with it. In particular, QuickTime and VLC. They both break down and they won't die even with a "kill -9!" I try to logoff and the OS just sits there. I have to reboot the entire machine to fix this problem. I'm downloading Vista to check it out.

VLC gimps out on me sometimes but Ive never had to reboot from it. :)

I've had my CPU crash from earlier versions of VLC when playing in full screen mode. It has never happened when I choose the "fit to screen" option though. MPlayer is really a better player, as it's more advanced and supports more formats, but it's more of a PITA to use and can cause pixelation depending on your CPU settings and media format you're trying to view.

>|<>QBB<
Code001":8cecc said:
>|<>QBB<

What versions do you have of each? Also, what media files are you trying to play? Let me know and I'll do the best I can to help you. I might even have you switch over to a different media player since VLC was mainly meant for streaming media that could play other files, where as there are other things out there which might be able to do what you want to do better.

Most of the problems I have a related to sound. It will usually play the video but no audio. And then once that starts happening, I'm not able to kill the app.

I'm usually just watching AVIs, MPGs, WMVs, etc. I'd be willing to try something else.

But I've had problems with other apps refusing to die, which is VERY surprising on a Unix system!

>|<>QBB<
Code001":b1ae5 said:
I've had my CPU crash from earlier versions of VLC when playing in full screen mode. It has never happened when I choose the "fit to screen" option though. MPlayer is really a better player, as it's more advanced and supports more formats, but it's more of a PITA to use and can cause pixelation depending on your CPU settings and media format you're trying to view.

VLC gimps out on me when I try and fast forward through a video, it will get this pixilated silver thing happening and I have to wait for the vid to clear up and go back to normal.

Im using this version:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

>|<>QBB<
defpearlpilot":029ff said:
>|<>QBB<

Most of the problems I have a related to sound. It will usually play the video but no audio. And then once that starts happening, I'm not able to kill the app.

I'm usually just watching AVIs, MPGs, WMVs, etc. I'd be willing to try something else.

But I've had problems with other apps refusing to die, which is VERY surprising on a Unix system!

Apps refusing to die is actually fairly common. It usually occurs with memory issues. You shouldn't be watching WMVs at all with VLC as they're not supported. If you're getting sound only and no video from AVIs, try MPlayer. If that still doesn't work, they're simply unplayable. I can't see why you'd have ANY problems playing MPGs though. I download about a two gigs a week of video files so I've had a good experience with them on OS X.

>|<>QBB<
Code001":4235d said:
>|<>QBB<

Apps refusing to die is actually fairly common. It usually occurs with memory issues. You shouldn't be watching WMVs at all with VLC as they're not supported. If you're getting sound only and no video from AVIs, try MPlayer. If that still doesn't work, they're simply unplayable. I can't see why you'd have ANY problems playing MPGs though. I download about a two gigs a week of video files so I've had a good experience with them on OS X.

I've had no problems with Xvid on my iBook with VLC. And that's streaming them off my Windows PC via Samba. Haven't tried WMV, though, as most of what I download is AVI format (Naruto and Bleach FTW!!! :D )

>|<>QBB<
Code001":badf7 said:
>|<>QBB<

I downloaded some WMV plug-in that let's them play. I notice that sometimes it screws up on .cue files too!

Apps refusing to die with a kill -9 is NOT common in Unix!!! That is a pretty BIG problem IMO and should not be common. A regular kill may fail but not a kill -9.

>|<>QBB<
Variable":adbf4 said:
>|<>QBB<

I've had no problems with Xvid on my iBook with VLC. And that's streaming them off my Windows PC via Samba. Haven't tried WMV, though, as most of what I download is AVI format (Naruto and Bleach FTW!!! :D )

Xvid plays great on the Macs. VLC doesn't support .ass subs, just FYI. That's why a lot of people prefer MPlayer. BTW, I have over 650 gigs of anime at the moment. I'm currently watching Bleach, but I stopped Naruto. Is it true that the fillers have stopped and they're back to making the manga? I know the Bleach fillers just stopped, so I started watching Bleach again.

>|<>QBB<
defpearlpilot":cecf0 said:
>|<>QBB<

I downloaded some WMV plug-in that let's them play. I notice that sometimes it screws up on .cue files too!

Apps refusing to die with a kill -9 is NOT common in Unix!!! That is a pretty BIG problem IMO and should not be common. A regular kill may fail but not a kill -9.

The thing is, OS X really isn't a true Unix. It's a hybrid. I've never seen a plug-in that lets VLC play WMV (but I have one for Quicktime). I never had ANY issues with .cue files in over 3 years of using OS X.

>|<>QBB<
Code001":8df62 said:
>|<>QBB<

Xvid plays great on the Macs. VLC doesn't support .ass subs, just FYI. That's why a lot of people prefer MPlayer. BTW, I have over 650 gigs of anime at the moment. I'm currently watching Bleach, but I stopped Naruto. Is it true that the fillers have stopped and they're back to making the manga? I know the Bleach fillers just stopped, so I started watching Bleach again.

Yes, #220 (this Thursday) is the last episode with young Naruto. I have to admit, that was a LOT of fucking filler. I thought Bleach's filler was much more entertaining than Naruto's (probably because it actually had a story arc, and not just a series of three-part episodes where nothing happens).

Anyway, Naruto: Shippuden starts Feb 15th, so next week. I'm sure Dattebeyo will have it up the very same night. Of course, one of these days I'm going to actually sit down and read all my Japanese language books so I don't have to wait for fansubs :P

Back