Come tear apart my lead playing "skills"

• Thread starter Thread starter mrp5150
  • Start date Start date
mrp5150
mrp5150
http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/50876_lead.mp3

Don't laugh too hard, I'm definitely not a lead player, but I want to improve. Any tips, suggestions, comments, etc?

Hey man, I enjoyed that. Thought the middle was a bit bland but enjoyable no less. Very nice.

>|<>QBB<
CoachZ":3f4f4 said:
Hey man, I enjoyed that. Thought the middle was a bit bland but enjoyable no less. Very nice.

Thanks man! I wasn't expecting any positive comments. :lol:

Your influences are pretty noticable. Nothing wrong with it since I tend to like a decent amount of the stuff you do.

>|<>QBB<
CoachZ":d8b67 said:
Your influences are pretty noticable. Nothing wrong with it since I tend to like a decent amount of the stuff you do.

I need to learn some scales and more theory stuff, it's just all confusing to me...and I have ADD. :lol: :cry:

I don't know if you like the song Hotel California or not, but learn that solo note for note. PLay along with it a lot because it's filled with all kinds of nice bends. I wouldn't worry about playing fast as much as working on wider vibrato and bending.

But your clip really isn't that bad at all.

>|<>QBB<
danyeo":37b7c said:
I don't know if you like the song Hotel California or not, but learn that solo note for note. PLay along with it a lot because it's filled with all kinds of nice bends. I wouldn't worry about playing fast as much as working on wider vibrato and bending.

Yeah, I don't really ever try to shred or play fast...I'd rather play stuff with melody...but playing fast would be cool! I do need to work on bends and such, and I'll have to learn that solo. Thanks for listening man! 8)

EDIT: God damn, that solo has TONS of bends!

content aside, it was pretty solid from a technical standpoint. can't see your hand technique obviously, but it sounded fine. bends were consistent for the most part, might want to work on your tapping and overall timing though.

not bad, but not awesome.
i would say learn some stuff outside the pentatonics (it seemed very pent to me...could be wrong though)
and learn everything in this video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3815536804431604254&q=paul+gilbert

:D

>|<>QBB<
magnum":b7ea0 said:
content aside, it was pretty solid from a technical standpoint. can't see your hand technique obviously, but it sounded fine. bends were consistent for the most part, might want to work on your tapping and overall timing though.

Thanks for checking it out! :)

That one part wasn't tapping though, it was just hammers and pulls with an open string.

>|<>QBB<
The Armadillo of leprosy":e2148 said:
not bad, but not awesome.
i would say learn some stuff outside the pentatonics (it seemed very pent to me...could be wrong though)
and learn everything in this video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3815536804431604254&q=paul+gilbert

:D

Gilbert rules! He's from my hometown. 8)

And I have no idea what scale any of that was in...I don't know any scales. :oops:

>|<>QBB<
danyeo":ca78c said:

I could not agree more!

Hotel California typifies everything a solo should be IMHO....and if you can get those bends and vibrato down, you are well on your way to developing some "feel" that I think is sorely lacking in most solo work.

Great suggestion Danny.

FWIW, without seeing your technique, I didn't think that was bad at all.

>|<>QBB<
mctallica1":213b8 said:
>|<>QBB<

I could not agree more!

Hotel California typifies everything a solo should be IMHO....and if you can get those bends and vibrato down, you are well on your way to developing some "feel" that I think is sorely lacking in most solo work.

Great suggestion Danny.

FWIW, without seeing your technique, I didn't think that was bad at all.

Thanks Tony!

I didn't get to go home last weekend to play the Blackmore, since the roads were so bad. I will this weekend for sure though! Thanks for the killer packing job, it gave me a sweet box to use to ship my 5150. 8)

oh holy jesus dude, learn your facking modes. seriously, it's the best thing i ever did for my lead playing. then if you're feeling good learn some exotic scales

>|<>QBB<
The Armadillo of leprosy":579e8 said:
oh holy jesus dude, learn your facking modes. seriously, it's the best thing i ever did for my lead playing. then if you're feeling good learn some exotic scales

Any helpful links or anything for the modes?

>|<>QBB<
The Armadillo of leprosy":fdb66 said:

I can learn scales inside and out but I cant makes heads or tails of modes. I was talking to a buddy of mine and I told him want notes on the fretboard I like and comes back and tells me im using Locrian!

Back