Advice on Studio Equipment

• Thread starter Thread starter CaseyCor
  • Start date Start date
C
CaseyCor
Hey everyone,
I'm looking to compile a list of the shit I need to start up a small home studio this summer, and I've got some questions.

Question #1

I'm planning (right now, at least) to get a DAW, because funds for a nice computer for myself aren't avalible right now, and won't be for a long time. I've been looking at the Tascam DP-01 series because of it's ease of use and features, as well as it's low price. But I'm worried about it's recording capabilities, having only 2 mic-imputs and being able to record only 2 tracks at a time. What if I want to set up some room mikes and record a jam? I'd be SOL with only a 2-mic set-up. So what should I do? Funds are quite low, so reccomend something cheap. It doesn't have to be stellar quality, just something that can get the job done easily and with good results. I plan on exporting the tracks to the iMac for mixing and mastering, so keep that in mind as well.

Question #2

Suggest some Microphones. I was thinking Shure SM57 and Sennheister E609 for guitar and Shure SM58 for vocals, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Question #3

Suggest some Monitors and some nice Headphones. Do I want Passive or Active monitors?

Question #4

Share your thoughts on acoustic padding. Best brands for the price, what to get exactly, ect.. (More on this later, need to get some room dimensions)

Question #5

Do you think I should get a Mixer of some sort? I'd like to make a studio set-up that can also be used live. Perhaps a rack with a Powered Mixer and a Power Amp as a PA, and then I could run the Mixer to a DAW for recording purposes?

Thanks for reading, I know that was a lot to cover!

-Casey

You seem to be a bit confused. For one thing, you are obviously using a computer now. What all is in it? You don't need the most amazing computer ever to record stuff.

You really do not need a mixer for home recording. If you buy the right stuff, you should be able to avoid that. You can get one for live use if you want, but it very likely will not benefit you at all for recording unless you need a bazillion inputs and you actually have the capability to record them all.

Most of that acoustic treatment stuff sucks for people like us. It is expensive and not practical. Some people just get the little tile things, stick them all over the place, and it just kills the high end and makes everything sound dead. The real problem is bass modes, which that stuff will not address. Depending on the dimensions of the room, there are peaks at certain frequencies, and in cube-like rooms, like typical bedrooms and most rooms in houses, they can be very nasty. This is what causes certain notes to resonate like crazy, depending on the room, which you may have noticed before. Companies like Auralex do make bass traps, but again, it's freaking expensive.

The best bet there is rigid fiberglass, like Owens Corning 703, I believe. Home Depots MIGHT have this. It's cheap and has good absorption properties. You can just tack a few together so you have some decent mass, stick them in the corners, where the low frequencies collect, and it will even things out. You can also use one panel at the first reflection points from the speaker, like on the ceiling and the side walls, to kill bad higher frequency reflections. Here's a good article, written by Ethan Winer, who owns RealTraps and knows his stuff:

http://www.ethanwiner.com/basstrap.html

If you want to know more about that stuff, I'd suggest asking at the HC recording forum. Ethan posts there on occasion and some other people there are pretty knowledgeable and experienced with it.

Also, I don't think you need an SM57 and an SM58. They use the same capsule. They aren't exactly radically different. Just get a 57. Also, the E609 could go nicely with it, but starting off, I'd get mics that are totally different from each other. Those are all just small diaphragm dynamics.

As far as passive and active monitors go, it just depends. Active monitors have their power amps matched to the speakers. Some people prefer passive because they like to choose their own amp or they already have one. Active is certainly more compact and easier to manage. I'd say it's a more practical choice if you don't already have a suitable amp.

If you are serious, DO NOT SKIMP ON MONITORS. They are basically the most important thing. My standard suggestion is to look at evilbay for Tannoy Reveals and KRK V series. Some of them used to run almost $1,000 new, but ever since new models came out, the older ones have been crazy cheap, sometimes even less than the cheapest respectable monitors you could buy new.

For headphones, meh, I never cared and just use whatever.

Well, for the computer issue, this computer is in the "dining room" of my hosue, where recording is impossible, and it can't be moved because it is a Family Computer. So the goal is to get recording done somewhere else, and then do any mixing/mastering that can't be done on the DAW here on this computer.

As far as the mixer goes, I'm just looking for the most cost-effective way to get where I want to be. I was hoping I could get something that could be multi-purpose for me, such as building a Rack Mounted PA system that can also be used for recording purposes, because being 15 years old makes it hard to come up with funds for all this shit.

I'd really like to be able to set a bunch of mics up in the room and record in a jam-type setting, but I know that would be expencive, so I'm not sure if thats a good idea to pursue right now..

Thanks for the help so far mate!

What's your total budget and do you have any mics, stands, cables, etc. already?

I wish I knew my boundries right now as far as budget, but I don't. I'm going job hunting as soon as it gets warmer around here, and still need to work with the parents on the whole situation (I don't expect them to help much, if at all). I know that makes this kinda hard, but I really don't have an answer right now..Think low, thats for sure.

I've got a few stands, and some useless mics. My dad works for an Audio/Video/Security/Low-Voltage shop here in town, so cables/stands/other accesories are fairly easy to get. I may be ordering some other stuff though them as well, if it benefits me in any way.

>|<>QBB<
CaseyCor":0afbd said:
I wish I knew my boundries right now as far as budget, but I don't. I'm going job hunting as soon as it gets warmer around here, and still need to work with the parents on the whole situation (I don't expect them to help much, if at all). I know that makes this kinda hard, but I really don't have an answer right now..Think low, thats for sure.

I've got a few stands, and some useless mics. My dad works for an Audio/Video/Security/Low-Voltage shop here in town, so cables/stands/other accesories are fairly easy to get. I may be ordering some other stuff though them as well, if it benefits me in any way.

If you don't have anything, there's no such thing as "low." I know that's not what you want to hear, but if you need everything from the ground up, even if you buy a dungpile of gear, since you can't use the PC you've got there's no such thing as "low."

Sorry mang.

I'm definatly aware of that, I just mean I don't need a $4000 dollar tube condenser mic right now or something like that.

>|<>QBB<
CaseyCor":f5f5e said:
I'm definatly aware of that, I just mean I don't need a $4000 dollar tube condenser mic right now or something like that.

That's the extreme though. Do you have $2k (or $4k?) to spend on the entire rig?

>|<>QBB<
CaseyCor":0fd43 said:
As far as the mixer goes, I'm just looking for the most cost-effective way to get where I want to be. I was hoping I could get something that could be multi-purpose for me, such as building a Rack Mounted PA system that can also be used for recording purposes, because being 15 years old makes it hard to come up with funds for all this shit.

Then just get whatever suits the purpose of using it with a PA the best, because you're probably not going to get much use out of it for recording, anyways.

I would hope so. Like I said, I need to discuss with my parents what is going to go on. I don't believe I will have much more to spend my money on, because I think I'll be lucky enough for my parents to get me a car soon. So my job would be simply to save up for the studio.

Simply put, I'm not currently supporting my self, so the Job's income would be strictly for the Studio, with the occasional personal buissiness.

>|<>QBB<
CaseyCor":e8693 said:
I would hope so. Like I said, I need to discuss with my parents what is going to go on. I don't believe I will have much more to spend my money on, because I think I'll be lucky enough for my parents to get me a car soon. So my job would be simply to save up for the studio.

Simply put, I'm not currently supporting my self, so the Job's income would be strictly for the Studio, with the occasional personal buissiness.

Once you find out what your budget is, at least approximately, I might be able to help more. I just don't want to spend time grabbing prices if you don't have a ballpark on your budget.

I agree, I don't want you to waste your time providing me with useless info.

Let's assume its between $2000-$3500 bucks, because that seems about right.

Hell, Man I'm using an older Tascam 788 with the CD burner, and a Shure SM57. I use an Alesis Sr-16 for click track and "drum ideas" and I'm using some computer monitors for now (on the search for real monitors) and having pretty good results.

You could look into one of these, or the Roland VS880's go for about $250 these days, just look around, if it doesnt have to be "new" there are some quality DAW style recorders out there that will get the job done for cheap.

Also you might research a little here,

http://homerecording.com/bbs/index.php?

i've got a Tascam DP-01, it doesn't have XLR inputs which is a very bad thing. some of the more expensive ones do though.

i'm still a total noob to recording, but what i seem to be learning is that if you have easy access to a computer, then getting some kind of firewire outfit that comes with good recording/editing software would probably be a better bet than something like the DP-01.

unless your gigging live don't think you'd have any need for a mixer. i've tried recording drums off a pretty decent mixer with the DP-01 and it sounded really bad.

got better results on drums just room miking with the dp-01, the dp-01 does do pretty good miking a guitar cab.

so if you can't do the computer thing, atleast try and get a little recorder with XLR inputs. the Fostex mr-8hd might be a better bet than the Tascam, it will do 4 tracks and has four XLR's. for a little jam you could close mic a cab or two, sing straight in, and maybe get the drums with a room mic.

would probably want atleast one or two of your mics to be condensor if your going to be recording drums.

but so far with my Tascam, i'd say it did pretty good on a guitar cab. i haven't messed with room miking drums much yet, but so far it's looking like it might just be so so for that. some of the drum forum guys are telling me that you need to use the computer editing software to get them good.

edit: headphones should be fine for monitoring. especially if get software to dick around on the familly computer with.

mics= sm57, mxl maybe for cheapo condensor

Thanks for all the info everyone.

What about getting a DAW and a Mackie Onyx mixer for more Inputs?

more inputs will be fine but your still gonna be limited by the number of inputs in the DAW, unless your recording live, or rehearsal, the you can mix on the board to stereo into the DAW.

I would use the Onyx for Recording a Live Show or a Rehersal. How would you connect the Mixer to the DAW exactly?

Back