Come tear apart my lead playing "skills"

• Thread starter Thread starter mrp5150
  • Start date Start date
I am going to go against the grain here and say that learning scales is not right way about this if you are looking for phrasing ideas to fill your licks box. I know 6 ways of playing major scales, 4 minor, Modes off each major scale....shit I know a freaking pentatonic that goes from low open E to the 24th fret high E and unless you are going to go wide opne for the solo they alone will not help.

If have to know what notes to land on, for example you really don't want to land on the 7th note of a C major scale unless you hell " JAZZ FUSION NOTE!!" To hear this record a progression of strummed C chords and hit the B and see what happens.

Learning scales you will play with patterns and nothing wrong with that as many do this but they also know where to land. Say you hit that 7th note, your ears should react fast enough that you will bend a whole step up to nail the octave.

For ideas for phrasing I suggest listening to any 80s shredder, Neil Schon, Robin Trower, SRV, Joe bonamassa, just steal their freaking licks. You could also take a tape like Paul Gilberts Intense Licks and break down the licks or string them together to create lines.

For Vibrato listen to Schon, Sykes, Lynch, Trower and while playing scales stop at key notes like the 3rd, 4th, 6th and vibrato or just start and finish with one.

best learning method for me is just jamming with someone. You guys are are talking greek to me about modes & majors&minors. I'm old school, I just play that bitch. I would like to learn about that stuff though.

Considering you haven't played all that long (right?) that was a god start.
My 2 cents worth...more importantly than vibrato, licks, scales, chops, etc...
POCKET. Some of the stuff you played that was a questionable note choice woulda been great if the timing would have been ighter.

Pick any line you know and tap your foot and play it over and over without backing until it "really drives th bus". Strong rhythm beats anything.

>|<>QBB<
degenaro":dbf0f said:
POCKET. Some of the stuff you played that was a questionable note choice woulda been great if the timing would have been ighter.

Pick any line you know and tap your foot and play it over and over without backing until it "really drives th bus". Strong rhythm beats anything.

I thought it was to resolve a Dim2 chord?

:D

Sounded pretty cool Mega! Not bad, but left me with the feel of unfinished.

>|<>QBB<
The Armadillo of leprosy":b1570 said:
yeah man the guitar grimoire has been in my collection for quite a number of years. but don't be fooled...it's basically pages and pages of the SAME SCALE just moved to a different note....but helpful none the less
It is redundant in that sense but most books do the same thing. If you learn the scale and its modes in one key, you should know enough to transpose them to another but they just do it anyway for content. Lame, but that's the way it goes. :evil:

>|<>QBB<
degenaro":7b3dd said:
>|<>QBB<stop eating the worm out of other folks Mezcal! :)

Sorry but I dig ending in a Dim2 or minor 7th, I dig the tension it brings while chewing the mexican gum :)

I like to leave you jazz hip cats hanging for me to resolve it :lol:

>|<>QBB<
degenaro":63a1f said:

Yea, I just read an interview with Pepi Romero and he said 'virtuoso guitarists strive for perfect rhythm and tempo first and foremost'. I think that's what separates the wankers from the real deals.

Nice. Now go record it again with the Blackmore..

did u just make that up?

Oh and thanks for all the comments and suggestions dudes! 8)

Start writing some proper songs dude.

fuck a band...get DFHS and VST Bass programs... :D

>|<>QBB<
The Armadillo of leprosy":60209 said:
not bad, but not awesome.
i would say learn some stuff outside the pentatonics (it seemed very pent to me...could be wrong though)
and learn everything in this video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3815536804431604254&q=paul+gilbert

:D

Cool link! Bookmarked!

>|<>QBB<
danyeo":b14e5 said:
I don't know if you like the song Hotel California or not, but learn that solo note for note. PLay along with it a lot because it's filled with all kinds of nice bends. I wouldn't worry about playing fast as much as working on wider vibrato and bending.

But your clip really isn't that bad at all.

Funny you shoulld mention that, I just heard that song on a classic rock radio station the other day. I'd forgotten how great that solo was. I've been learning to play it the last couple days.

>|<>QBB<
The Armadillo of leprosy":31c4a said:
lol interesting to say the least...

i've never found good mode links. i really wish i could help you...i could tab out each mode, but i don't know that would really be helping you out...

bah, i'm useless

Go buy the book "Guitar Grimoire". It will absolutely KILL you with modes. Most of which you've probably never heard of. Like learning the Hungarian scale in the 4th position.

Uhmmm.... yeah.

>|<>QBB<
Megadeth7684":89aa7 said:
>|<>QBB<

Are these the same?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Guitar-Grimoire-Vols-I-II-by-Harvey-Mandel_W0QQitemZ180082867560QQihZ008QQcategoryZ64405QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

NO! Scam. Not the same book. Mine is black and has that same logo like what they have on the main page of their site - www.guitargrimoire.com

it's not bad overall, you've got some nice ideas and the playing is fairly solid...but if you want honest advice on where you are, and what would make a good lead player (IMO) from that point...

parts of it really fall into a pattern, that's something i'd try to get away from

there are parts where your playing is smooth, and other parts that are stiff...i'd focus on the smoothness a bit more

you've kinda got a mid-tempo thing goin the whole way thru, which can be cool but get boring...i'd try to mix it up a bit with a couple parts that are definitively slow and/or fast

there's not a whole lot of authority behind what you're playing...try to know what parts you want to sound smooth/flowing , sharp/agressive, odd/quirky, or however you want to sound; try to make them sound that way consistently and make it work within the song

as far as modal studies, i'd look at some old randy rhoads stuff...the solo in goodbye to romance is a GREAT one; it's mostly slower based with one fast 16th note run at the end, it's all based in one mode tho (a major i think)

two words: alternate picking. if you can get the old paul gilbert instructional video, it will save your life when it comes to scales, and alternate picking. i hope someone chimes in here, cause i cant remember the name of the video.....................intense rock, maybe? i anyway, that one video has more than enough information on technique, and scales to keep you busy for a few months. last but not least, i know you weren't using your amp, but turn down the gain, too much distortion will only ruin your lead playing.

Sounds pretty good, Mark. I would work on phrasing a bit. Instead of going up and down the scale find some phrases that are a little more creative. The progression that you are using is pure minor so I would try to add the passing tones (2nd and 6th degree) to the scale you are using. A flat 5 would be cool as well in that scale. That will add some color. Overall though, good job! :thumbsup:

Back