OT: I finally have an IT job interview!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter Variable
  • Start date Start date
Variable
Variable
Gotta drive to Hoffman Estates Friday. I've got an interview with Robert Half Technology. The job is entry-level help-desk (gotta start somewhere!).

Any advice? This is like the first job interview I've had in years :P

I always thought good advice was to prepare a couple of questions of your own, just to show you're genuinely interested in the company.

>|<>QBB<
cloudnine":5f31c said:
I always thought good advice was to prepare a couple of questions of your own, just to show you're genuinely interested in the company.

Makes sense. And I certainly have some questions, like company paid training for certs, tuition reimbursement, opportunities for advancement, etc. This interview is at a technology staffing agency, though, so I'm not sure how much they'll be able to answer for the specific position.

Cool. I'd ask just a couple genuine questions as well, not necessarily you-oriented, just about the company.

Ask King Crimson about this. He sent me two FANTASTIC articles about interviews.

FWIW, I think they helped me land this job I'm about to start in a week.

>|<>QBB<
shredhead666":9f2c1 said:
Ask King Crimson about this. He sent me two FANTASTIC articles about interviews.

FWIW, I think they helped me land this job I'm about to start in a week.

Will do. You don't still have those articles, do you?

Just point to the picture of the little girl on the desk and ask, "Who's the cunt"?

JK :mrgreen:

Just come up with some reason why they should hire you over other potentials, i heard that question a few times.

>|<>QBB<
danyeo":77f2f said:
Just point to the picture of the little girl on the desk and ask, "Who's the cunt"?

JK :mrgreen:

Just come up with some reason why they should hire you over other potentials, i heard that question a few times.

I suppose that reason shouldn't involve flamethrowers or chainsaws, right?

:D

Definately do research into the company. What they specialize in (even if it's just services). They will inevitably ask 'Do you know what we do?'.

Also look closely at the job description. Prepare SOLID, real world examples of what you have done that relates or is EXACTLY what is described.

Go over all your technical docs. Train for it like a final.

Lastly:
Walk in confident, and eager to meet people. Look them in the eye during introductions and questions, and remember names. Bring a notebook with extra resume's. When the interview starts, show interest by taking a few notes. If you don't know something, it's okay to think a little outloud and try to work it out....it shows that you have problem solving capability. If you just flat out DON'T know, then hammer the point that you'll research it (notes again!). Emphasize that there is just no way of getting around looking things up (shows that you'll do the research in problem solving.) And have a process in which you DO your research (hint: there is NOTHING wrong with saying 'I google it'...but have other technical resources at your disposal.)

From someone who hires and works IT.

EP

>|<>QBB<
Variable":c19a8 said:
>|<>QBB<

Will do. You don't still have those articles, do you?

Actually you know I might. I can't remember whether I saved them or not. David posted them here though, if you search through some of the threads he posted in you might find them.

>|<>QBB<
electronpirate":731c1 said:
there is NOTHING wrong with saying 'I google it'.

From someone who hires and works IT.

EP

Unless you're interviewing with Google. :) They sort of consider that the "cheap way out". Hahaha...

hey man, you want to work downtown Chicago? My company is always hiring IT positions....shoot me a pm if you're interested. I could used another drinking buddy here. :partyman:

>|<>QBB<
Ultron":32951 said:
hey man, you want to work downtown Chicago? My company is always hiring IT positions....shoot me a pm if you're interested. I could used another drinking buddy here. :partyman:

LOL man, I'd love to, but as it stands I'll have an hour long commute with the job I'm being interviewed for. Chicago is just too far away (though once I get my bills paid off, I'm planning on moving closer, Sugar Grove is too far away for almost EVERY job in the area...). Keep in mind that I only have teh l33t ENTRY LEVEL skills :P

Thanks for the offer, though, I appreciate it :D Beer is even better :D :D :D

>|<>QBB<
shredhead666":db3c3 said:
>|<>QBB<

Actually you know I might. I can't remember whether I saved them or not. David posted them here though, if you search through some of the threads he posted in you might find them.

Hey I found the link!

The post by David (King Crimson) is near the bottom.

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8948&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=interview+google&start=0

>|<>QBB<
shredhead666":5f256 said:
>|<>QBB<

Hey I found the link!

The post by David (King Crimson) is near the bottom.

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8948&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=interview+google&start=0

>|<>QBB<
Variable":05c54 said:
>|<>QBB<

LOL man, I'd love to, but as it stands I'll have an hour long commute with the job I'm being interviewed for. Chicago is just too far away (though once I get my bills paid off, I'm planning on moving closer, Sugar Grove is too far away for almost EVERY job in the area...). Keep in mind that I only have teh l33t ENTRY LEVEL skills :P

Thanks for the offer, though, I appreciate it :D Beer is even better :D :D :D

I hear ya about the commute...I live a little more East than you are, so it's only 25 minutes on the train....but I gotta tell ya bro, it's worth it working in the city. I've done my time at jobs in the suburbs.....and it's another world downtown. The energy level is higher, things seem more professional, and way more opportunities. Did I mention the insane amount of tail in Chicago during the summer? It's Glorious! :la:

Shoot me your resume man, let me at least see whatcha got.

I dunno man, I've been to Chicago in the summertime... The tail is OK. Nothing compared to what I've seen in NY or ATL though. :)

>|<>QBB<
shredhead666":83bce said:
I dunno man, I've been to Chicago in the summertime... The tail is OK. Nothing compared to what I've seen in NY or ATL though. :)

Well no shit NY, all the modeling agencies are out of there....the tail is over the top there. Not sure where you were hanging out in Chicago, but it's pretty ridiculous where I'm at.

Atlanta though, you can have that shithole town....

Back