OT: I finally have an IT job interview!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter Variable
  • Start date Start date
>|<>QBB<
Ultron":f3081 said:
>|<>QBB<

I hear ya about the commute...I live a little more East than you are, so it's only 25 minutes on the train....but I gotta tell ya bro, it's worth it working in the city. I've done my time at jobs in the suburbs.....and it's another world downtown. The energy level is higher, things seem more professional, and way more opportunities. Did I mention the insane amount of tail in Chicago during the summer? It's Glorious! :la:

Shoot me your resume man, let me at least see whatcha got.

The dudes and I in my band have a saying, it simply goes: "God I love the North Side." The tail on the north side during the summer is always tasty, especially on the L's on the weekends.

What sort of IT job is this that you wer talking about? I'm in the market for a new job. Shoot me a PM. Course I'm not gonna steal a job away from Variable if he's interested!

>|<>QBB<
ZielGuitarist":6df35 said:
>|<>QBB<

What sort of IT job is this that you wer talking about? I'm in the market for a new job. Shoot me a PM. Course I'm not gonna steal a job away from Variable if he's interested!

All the IT jobs in the Chicagoland area are MINE!@!!@#%#% :x :evil:

J/K of course, if you can do the job better than me (which is definitely possible), you should get it!

Shoot me a resume man, we can talk about this offline.

:hide:

Shit man, I dunno about all that. I've always been interested in IT, but I have no schooling or experiance in it. I've been driving a school bus the past 6 months and it just isnt paying the bills. I only get maybe 20 hours a week, and my only other options are either go over-the-road with a semi and quit my band so that I can get up money for school, or work warehouse work and get some student loan.....bah.

Honestly anything other then warehouse work or foodservice would be awesome. The only thing I have going for me is that I pick things up very quickly.

>|<>QBB<
Variable":568d9 said:
>|<>QBB<

Hey Russ! I used to contract here in San Diego through RHT. They're a great consulting firm and have lots of positions in IT to chose from.

Go threw the two docs I sent you with a fine tooth comb. They both have all the classic questions and prep answers that will land you the job. Don't try to memorize it all because it's too much, just become acquainted with it all and be prepared.

One of the main things to [focus] on is what you can bring to the job and why. Don't go off talking about guitars, amps and metal, if you know what I mean. Focus!

Good luck, Russ! :)

For what it's worth, for most entry level positions, if you can come across as having the attitude and aptitude, and decent personality/social skills, you'll get the job. We don't expect people to know every technical detail, especially if it's a low graded position. Come across as a sharp, normal person, with enthusiasm to learn the stuff, and you've pretty much won the fight. It's scary the types of people that are out there in IT.

Definately got the social/people skills, I guess that's why I took to driving a school bus. I'll work up a new resume and have it to you probably tomorrow night.

>|<>QBB<
Ultron":7271e said:
For what it's worth, for most entry level positions, if you can come across as having the attitude and aptitude, and decent personality/social skills, you'll get the job. We don't expect people to know every technical detail, especially if it's a low graded position. Come across as a sharp, normal person, with enthusiasm to learn the stuff, and you've pretty much won the fight. It's scary the types of people that are out there in IT.

I'm reworking my resume based on your suggestions (a lot more details on specific techie stuff I've done over the years). I'll PM you an updated copy. I should point out that the help desk job I applied to didn't really ask for ANY technical experience, just two years of customer service.

You'd think with some of these positions I see advertised on Dice and CareerBuilder, etc, that they somehow expect EVERY entry level, $11/hour position to be A+ through CCIE and RHCE certified with a million years of experience. Considering the types of people I've met in the IT industry, I have to agree that there are some seriously damaged folks getting paid way more than they're worth.

I will say that I have that willingness to learn new technologies :D Hopefully I'll find something soon, and if I get into Chi-town, that beer will be on me (provided it's at a nice Irish pub ) :D

>|<>QBB<
Variable":64baa said:
>|<>QBB<

I will say that I have that willingness to learn new technologies :D Hopefully I'll find something soon, and if I get into Chi-town, that beer will be on me (provided it's at a nice Irish pub ) :D

Fadó!

>|<>QBB<
Variable":cba83 said:
Gotta drive to Hoffman Estates Friday. I've got an interview with Robert Half Technology. The job is entry-level help-desk (gotta start somewhere!).

Any advice? This is like the first job interview I've had in years :P

Just demonstrate as much as possible that you're a team player and eager to learn.

I switched to IT support about 6 years ago -- On the project I'm on I've gone from help desk to a UNIX System Administrator working on the Systems Integration team in that time. Show that you're willing to learn and do what it takes to move up, do a good job and you'll have no problem. It's really up to you after you have the job. Good luck.

>|<>QBB<
cibyl":5094b said:
>|<>QBB<

Just demonstrate as much as possible that you're a team player and eager to learn.

I switched to IT support about 6 years ago -- On the project I'm on I've gone from help desk to a UNIX System Administrator working on the Systems Integration team in that time. Show that you're willing to learn and do what it takes to move up, do a good job and you'll have no problem. It's really up to you after you have the job. Good luck.

Thanks man, that's encouraging to hear. What kind of experience did you have when you got into your help desk job?

Back