Truth or BS...2 channel Rectos sound better than 3

• Thread starter Thread starter simbasa
  • Start date Start date
S
simbasa
Is there a difference and also the Roadster I think sounds less 'fizzy' than a Dual Recto. Would the older 2 channel Rectos have more gain? I see a couple in my area and I really like the Nightwish tone he's getting here. Shitty mix..... pretty sure those are Rectos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scaL22Qz9LY

I don't know for sure but that's the scuttle-butt. The two channel Rectos are supposed to sound better than the three channel ones.

I personally think the old 2 channel rectos sound the best of all the rectos. I have one and I have had the newer ones. There is a reason why I kept the old original.

I think it's supposed to be the difference in the output transformer.

Bah.....I like the more aggresive sound of the 3 channel myself...

I like the 2 channel ones. I heard them both and the 2 channel one not only sounded smooth but also had more gain.

I think it's both truth and bullshit, depending on how you ask. I LOVED how my 3 channel dual sounded, but loathe how our other guitarists sounds. I've heard 2 channels that I've loved, and some that I've hated....It coems down to the person I think.

I'd still kill for a racktifier. DAMN ME AND MY LACK OF FUNDS!

to my ears, it's definitely truth. I owned a 1994 Dual Recto that sounded almost terrifyingly good. it took me forever to figure out how to tweak it, simply because i'd played mostly Marshalls before then...and Mesas tweak MUCH differently than any kind of Marshall. but once i had it figured out, i've never played through anything that sounded better for what i play. the 2 channel models are a bit warmer, but still keep that aggressiveness. the newer ones sound a bit more on the digital side when compared to the older models. i guess i just really liked that bit of warmth.

mmm racktifier. I wants me one of them suckers. Theres one at a local music store. hmmmmmm

Apples to oranges. But more so than anything else it is about how they're dialed in.

simbasa":4f762 said:
Is there a difference and also the Roadster I think sounds less 'fizzy' than a Dual Recto. Would the older 2 channel Rectos have more gain? I see a couple in my area and I really like the Nightwish tone he's getting here. Shitty mix..... pretty sure those are Rectos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scaL22Qz9LY

It's entirely subjective IMO. My advice is to try as many as you can and find out which model you like best.

There are definite differences between the early 2 channel, later 2 channel, Rackmount Dual, 3 channel, Roadking I, Roadking II and Roadster. The Single Rec's have their own differences as well.

To some people, these differences are a wide chasm and they are very biased towards a particular model.

To others the differences are more subtle, or somewhere inbetween the extreme biases.

IMO they all have that common base Recto flavor. If you don't like the base Recto voicing you won't like any of them in my opinion.

i have never played a three channel, but i know i love my two channel. i am not one for a lot of variety though i have like three tones i use mostly: deathmetal, fu manchu style, and something that is cleaner. i have always like a bit of grit to my clean too.

It's subjective, definitely. I prefer the two channel rectos for sure.

I've owned ractifiers and a very early (first 500) dual head. Played three channel models in music stores. Overall:

Racto>Early two channel>Three channel. The difference to me is a little more gain, clarity and low end thump without mud.

Pete

>|<>QBB<
stratotone":e5005 said:
I've owned ractifiers and a very early (first 500) dual head. Played three channel models in music stores. Overall:

Racto>Early two channel>Three channel. The difference to me is a little more gain, clarity and low end thump without mud.

Pete

+1

Do the 2ch triples sound the same as the 2ch duals.

I own both ..and have had the 2 channel since I bought it at the store sice 1993....

I got a 3 channel about a year and half ago and I like that alot better...

In fact I keep considering selling/trading the 1993 "small logo'd " 2 channel

Interesting. Sounds like the Racktifier would be what I want. The older 2 channel rectos are going for around 1200 it looks like. Guy on Craigslist here in Palo Alto selling an early #627 for 1400. A bit much I think. I had a Tremoverb combo and traded it for a TSL 100. The roadster sounds great but I don't need the cleans. If the Racktifier has the tightest and cleanest gain, then come to papa! :lol:

You'll find that people always want the first version of anything. Perfect example - the block logo 5150 BS. Sure they shipped with better stock tubes - but now that they're this old - who the hell cares? I've been extremely happy with my 3-channel. In fact I think my 3-channel had something to do with t-rave above getting his.

Back