A low cost step before a core 2 duo?

• Thread starter Thread starter Bob Savage
  • Start date Start date
B
Bob Savage
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2901385&Tab=0&NoMapp=0

For the price, I'm wondering if I ought not just get something like this for now since it's dual core and Samplitude can use both cores? The problem is I'm not up for spending the coin for a core 2 duo setup... or are there core 2 duo's at a comparable spec and price?

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":0e773 said:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2901385&Tab=0&NoMapp=0

For the price, I'm wondering if I ought not just get something like this for now since it's dual core and Samplitude can use both cores? The problem is I'm not up for spending the coin for a core 2 duo setup... or are there core 2 duo's at a comparable spec and price?

What is a core 2 duo setup? Its like you're speaking an exotic language and stuff...

Steve

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":fe919 said:

From what I've read and heard, Intels first set of dual core chips were not as good as the core 2 duos.

That is a pretty good price for the machine, a Core 2 1.83gig chip is around $180 alone.

That said I am going Core 2 and the MB will be Quad ready.

>|<>QBB<
sah5150":209ee said:
>|<>QBB<

What is a core 2 duo setup? Its like you're speaking an exotic language and stuff...

Steve

The core 2 duo's are the latest processor tech from Intel. They're the best performer on the market at the time.

>|<>QBB<
defpearlpilot":209ee said:
>|<>QBB<

From what I've read and heard, Intels first set of dual core chips were not as good as the core 2 duos.

I know, that's why I'm referring to this setup as a step down from the C2D.

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":209ee said:
That is a pretty good price for the machine, a Core 2 1.83gig chip is around $180 alone.

That said I am going Core 2 and the MB will be Quad ready.

Exactly. There are some decent deals on the core 2 systems, but in the end, to get something similar in spec to this PD it's going to cost near $1,000.

I hear ya Bob. I have a 2.8ghz - 1gbram system at home. Im looking at a replacement. Probably gonna cost me 1800 or so but im getting tired of my current system booting only when it feels like it.

>|<>QBB<
tweed":0805a said:
I hear ya Bob. I have a 2.8ghz - 1gbram system at home. Im looking at a replacement. Probably gonna cost me 1800 or so but im getting tired of my current system booting only when it feels like it.

I'm running a 2.8 GHz setup too. I figure this one is a dual 3.0 so for Samplitude, it should smoke the 2.8 setup. It won't smoke it like a core 2 duo, but still.

The only thing I'm concerned about with that setup is it's an NVidia chipset. Are the NVidia chipsets good on the Intel side? I know they do kickin' sets for the AMD's, but I'm not familiar with their Intel based boards.

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":19e43 said:
>|<>QBB<

I'm running a 2.8 GHz setup too. I figure this one is a dual 3.0 so for Samplitude, it should smoke the 2.8 setup. It won't smoke it like a core 2 duo, but still.

The only thing I'm concerned about with that setup is it's an NVidia chipset. Are the NVidia chipsets good on the Intel side? I know they do kickin' sets for the AMD's, but I'm not familiar with their Intel based boards.

I dunno either. Got tired of reading stuff. I get a pretty good price break thru Gateway and may just throw in the towel and order a premade system with 22"HD lcd

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":6135d said:
>|<>QBB<

The thing to look at with chipsets isn't necessarily the design (NVidia, AMD, Intel, Via, etc), but rather the company manufacturing it. These are the people that will be providing your BIOS support, and it doesn't matter if the board is spectacular; if they write shitty BIOS code, it'll be failing all the time. Personally, I've had good experience with Asus, Abit, and MSI. Haven't heard of ECS before, but that doesn't mean they're bad. Anyway, I'd do some searches on the 'net on that particular ECS model and see what comes up, because if there's going to be problem, it'll start with the mobo.

>|<>QBB<
Variable":8dba3 said:
>|<>QBB<

The thing to look at with chipsets isn't necessarily the design (NVidia, AMD, Intel, Via, etc), but rather the company manufacturing it. These are the people that will be providing your BIOS support, and it doesn't matter if the board is spectacular; if they write shitty BIOS code, it'll be failing all the time. Personally, I've had good experience with Asus, Abit, and MSI. Haven't heard of ECS before, but that doesn't mean they're bad. Anyway, I'd do some searches on the 'net on that particular ECS model and see what comes up, because if there's going to be problem, it'll start with the mobo.

BIOS support isn't that big a deal these days, at least it's not nearly the issue it was in the past. Aren't most companies using Award?

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":a90fd said:
>|<>QBB<

BIOS support isn't that big a deal these days, at least it's not nearly the issue it was in the past. Aren't most companies using Award?

Award is just the interface for adjusting the BIOS. The difference between a good BIOS and a bad BIOS can be things like PCI cards not working right, RAM not working right, random BSODs, etc. I have an old MSI motherboard with the original BIOS that was incredibly picky about the brand of RAM you put in it, but once I upgraded the BIOS to a newer version, the problem disappeared. There were also some issues with the released BIOS on the Asus A8R-32MVP Deluxe (which I own) that weren't fully corrected until two BIOS versions later.

No fucking way, that system will run rather slow, run super hot, overall a waste of time. Also the motherboard is a known cheap piece of shit.

Avoid

Also by the way, you are looking at around 200-250w idle for that old dual core Pentium 4. That is a hell of a lot of wattage. To give you an example my Core 2 Duo system is around 3-4x faster and 165w idle.

I would say, save your money and get the Core 2 Duo system. The dual core Pentium 4's are a complete waste of money.

You should also check out how good Samplitude is at using multiple core processors. I use Ableton Live 6 and it fully uses my Core 2 Duo.

There is one major thing you need to consider with a recording box.
MAKE DAMN SURE YOU GET AN INTEL CHIPSET!

>|<>QBB<
redrol":1be50 said:
You should also check out how good Samplitude is at using multiple core processors. I use Ableton Live 6 and it fully uses my Core 2 Duo.

Samp has multiple core support and it's implementation is said to be good.

>|<>QBB<
Variable":7dc19 said:
>|<>QBB<

Award is just the interface for adjusting the BIOS. The difference between a good BIOS and a bad BIOS can be things like PCI cards not working right, RAM not working right, random BSODs, etc. I have an old MSI motherboard with the original BIOS that was incredibly picky about the brand of RAM you put in it, but once I upgraded the BIOS to a newer version, the problem disappeared. There were also some issues with the released BIOS on the Asus A8R-32MVP Deluxe (which I own) that weren't fully corrected until two BIOS versions later.

The "interface" makes all the difference in the world. Fortunately, I know a little about how PC's work. Let's just say my first IT interview was many, many years ago. :D

>|<>QBB<
defpearlpilot":7f9ce said:
>|<>QBB<

Core 2 Duo is just simply Intels brand name for dual core procs. Nothing more, nothing less.

I was just with our Intel engineering rep last week going over the road map for the next two years.

>|<>QBB<
defpearlpilot":a6551 said:
>|<>QBB<

You're right. I have a Centrino Duo laptop, and it's slower than the recent Pentium 4s. Not my first choice, and I couldnt'recommend it to anyone else.

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":96240 said:
>|<>QBB<

Nvidia chipsets are destroying the Intel ones in the highend department, no worries about that. Tom's Hardware has a good shoot-out write up. Performance is about the same but the Nvidia sets have way more options for the power user.

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":1daeb said:
>|<>QBB<

The "interface" makes all the difference in the world. Fortunately, I know a little about how PC's work. Let's just say my first IT interview was many, many years ago. :D

Just spouting out my personal experience :D Trying to deal with BIOS issues on a no-name mobo with little to no manufacturer support isn't fun at all.

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":dd5b1 said:
>|<>QBB<

Nvidia chipsets are destroying the Intel ones in the highend department, no worries about that. Tom's Hardware has a good shoot-out write up. Performance is about the same but the Nvidia sets have way more options for the power user.

For recording setups, you don't want a non-intel chipset. PERIOD. Doesnt matter of it gives you blowjobs. INTEL ONLY for recording.

Back