Marshall JVM 410 H in the house!!! :D clips inside

• Thread starter Thread starter tobiah
  • Start date Start date
>|<>QBB<
kannibul":4dc90 said:
I have a feeling I'll have to defend this amp before I even have it - lol

;)
Brace yourself for the hate that will be thrown once gut shots are posted...It's gonna be flamefest '07 in this place...what do people think, you can do all that switching with tube relays? :lol: :lol: :lol:

>|<>QBB<
killertone":7efce said:
>|<>QBB<
Brace yourself for the hate that will be thrown once gut shots are posted...It's gonna be flamefest '07 in this place...what do people think, you can do all that switching with tube relays? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well...yeah!

It's got 5 12ax7's ladies and gentlemen (chomp-chomp-chomp)

I don't care what it looks like on the inside. The TSL was great (lot of complaints but I never had a problem with the AMP) - if it's on par with that I'll be happy.

12 "channels" crammed into one headshell...I'm expecting it to be a block of PCB material with silver dots and surface mounted components...lol

>|<>QBB<
kannibul":695ba said:
>|<>QBB<

Well...yeah!

It's got 5 12ax7's ladies and gentlemen (chomp-chomp-chomp)

I don't care what it looks like on the inside. The TSL was great (lot of complaints but I never had a problem with the AMP) - if it's on par with that I'll be happy.

12 "channels" crammed into one headshell...I'm expecting it to be a block of PCB material with silver dots and surface mounted components...lol

"I'm not buying that piece of shit. It doesn't have a handwired tube footswitch hooked up to a Neve discrete class A relay mounted to a turret board"... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can hear it now... :roll:

Yea , I think people are expecting a Holy Grail of an amp here. It's only 1500 bucks. It's not gonna be the end all be all of amps. There is no such thing for most people. I think we will see alot on ebay in a couple of months. I'm sure it's a killer amp...but you amp guys know how it goes.

>|<>QBB<
simbasa":23c2f said:
Yea , I think people are expecting a Holy Grail of an amp here. It's only 1500 bucks. It's not gonna be the end all be all of amps. There is no such thing for most people. I think we will see alot on ebay in a couple of months. I'm sure it's a killer amp...but you amp guys know how it goes.

I know how it will go in my bedroom and be the be-all amp for me :)

It meets all the criteria...

In fact the TSL was that for me, except the damn channel ramping from gainy to clean.

>|<>QBB<
donbarzini":bbcf0 said:
I don't understand why a $1,500.00 amp would not have a chance at being any good? If Marshall were to charge $3,000.00 (street price) for the same amp, would it have a better chance at being better? I've tried several $2,000.00 + amps and to be honest, my favorite so far is a used JMP I found for much less.
No, I don't mean it's not good because it's 1500..but the guts will not be point to point or anything fancy.

im selling mine.. head to hc if you wanna know why...

here are guts pics...

I am probably going to be leaving the jvm club shortly after the annoying feedback and the on off gain controls of the amp but here are some pictures as requested...

jvm1.jpg

jvm2.jpg

jvm3.jpg

jvm4.jpg

NICE SHOTS!!!

I figured it'd be packed in there pretty tight, but man, that is REAL tight!

Looks like the boards will be easier to replace/repair/remove, should one ever need to.

Must study closer!

If I was to take a guess, that 2nd and 3rd picture is showing the bias control - CON1, VR1/VR2.

:D

>|<>QBB<
donbarzini":96e6d said:
>|<>QBB<

I agree, but Marshall really stopped PTP in around 1973, it's just now all the boutique builders use PTP because there is a strong belief that PTP is better. I would probably cringe if I looked at the inside of a JVM but hey, I don't build em :)

PTP is 100x more forgiving than PCB. If you screw up a PCB, you wasted a lot of money on engineering something that can't be fixed easily.

Also, soldering PCB is harder than PTP - you have to be more careful with PCB.

It's economics - PCB is more expensive to R&D, and many don't have that kind of funding.

>|<>QBB<
simbasa":28729 said:
>|<>QBB< No, I don't mean it's not good because it's 1500..but the guts will not be point to point or anything fancy.
Of course it won't be the be all end all amp, there is no such thing and probably never will be. Too many different players and opinions for that happen, and that's a good thing. As far as being PTP, no one is expecting that and what difference does that make anyway? Would we really expect an amp with 4 independent channels and 12 switchable modes to be PTP? :?

Looks pretty clean for how complex it is.

All the tubes appear to be mounted on that one main board it looks like, unless the power tube sockets are chassis mounted above it...

>|<>QBB<
ejecta":62a5c said:
Whats up with the on off gain controls?

You mean the pots having 4-pin connectors?

Not sure, but I think one is ground, the other 3 are the normal pot lugs.

>|<>QBB<
killertone":9171a said:
>|<>QBB<
Of course it won't be the be all end all amp, there is no such thing and probably never will be. Too many different players and opinions for that happen, and that's a good thing. As far as being PTP, no one is expecting that and what difference does that make anyway? Would we really expect an amp with 4 independent channels and 12 switchable modes to be PTP? :?

Oh, it could be done.

Just everyone would balk at the price, and complain how it doesn't fit on top of their 4x12.

>|<>QBB<
tobiah":57f66 said:
seems like not a lot of range

What did your amp measure on CON1 for each pair?

I'm curious what they set it to from the factory :)

Next, I'll have you measure the plate voltage, if you're comfortable with that kind of stuff :)

>|<>QBB<
kannibul":a4166 said:
>|<>QBB<

Oh, it could be done.

Just everyone would balk at the price, and complain how it doesn't fit on top of their 4x12.
I know it could be done...I am referring to this particular amp. Seems liek a few people have said something about PTP and I just think it is ridiculous to bring that up on an amp with these features for around $1700.

>|<>QBB<
killertone":a4428 said:
>|<>QBB<
I know it could be done...I am referring to this particular amp. Seems liek a few people have said something about PTP and I just think it is ridiculous to bring that up on an amp with these features for around $1700.

10 Print +1
20 Goto 10

Back