Tung Sol preamp, V30 speakers.

• Thread starter Thread starter thiswaythatway
  • Start date Start date
>|<>QBB<
Glimpse":3a1f7 said:
>|<>QBB<

That's weird, a lot of WHOOF and top end? SOunds like the T75 to me, which I hate in the room. My experience has been the opposite, lots of mids, spiked almost. I've never played an Uberkab, but I could see how that speaker combo could work really well for a modern cab.

I love Greenies, all my favorite guitar tones are Greenies, and for me they are just a pleasurable speaker. Nice all around sound, no spiking, no ice pick in the brain like the T75. Now my delima is that I want a 2X12, but with the power rating of the Greenback I'm scared I'm gonna blow em. Which would suck, lol. I wish I could find some MC90s to hear/play.

Another speaker you might want to check if you haven't are the 65 watt celestions. The 75 watters pretty much replaced the 65's in Marshall cabs but i really like those 65's. I have heard a few guys use 75's live and loud, they sound amazing, but i don't know about them when they are not cranked.

Ha, looks like you read my mind. The 65's are pricey though. Amplifire has a 4x12 loaded with them. I compared the Bogner OS 2x12 to his Marshall 4x12 loaded with 65's. First i played the Bogner, then when i plugged into his 65 watt loaded cab and i got a rotten feeling in my stomach as i thought it shit all over the Bogner cab, although it is a 4x12 versus a 2x12.

Now where's phsycodave? He's got a collection of cabs in his basement. I was there a few weeks ago. Although when i walked out of his place i though the Greenbacks were the best. And the worst speakers i heard were his pre-rola Greenbacks. His reissues killed them, yup i was suprised. H30's are cool, and the 75's he had were ripping my face off with top end.

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":b0fcc said:
You sell your Mesa 4x12 Danny?

Yeah, someone gave me some decent cash for it. I wanted to sell it before i wound up in the hospital from trying to move it. I doubt I'll use the EVM's again since i like the 90's more.

Danyeo,

Not to be a asshole or anything, but have you tried making sure its not something else in your signal chain that could be causing this treble shift issue? I never once had this issue, they didnt actually charge you $300.00 for doing nothing did they?

>|<>QBB<
BOOGIE444":9284d said:
Danyeo,

Not to be a asshole or anything, but have you tried making sure its not something else in your signal chain that could be causing this treble shift issue? I never once had this issue, they didnt actually charge you $300.00 for doing nothing did they?

Trust me, it's nothing in my signal chain when it's 1 cord going straight into the head and it has done the same thing on a few different cabs.

I should have bought that cab when you PM'd me :x I have way too many projects coming.....I have crap coming from all over the globe and I am losing track what is where :?

I know when I had a Mark 3 here, I didnt really like the OS 2x12 with it as much as the Ear Candy cabs for 2x12's. I dont know what else you have tried through it, but I like the OS a lot with my Makoplex and Barber.

V30's are awesome speakers! I can't believe you are hating them.

>|<>QBB<
Gainfreak":0bbd4 said:
I tried several Tung-sol preamp tubes in my MKIV and they would not work for some reason. It gave me that same wind tunnel sound that you had. Doug over at Dougs tubes was nice enough to give me a replacement tube and the same thing happened. I did not want to bug him again so I bought 3 more online and same thing. I wont use them in a MKIV but Im sure they would work in another amp.

:o You know, I knew you were cheating on me!! If you cant use the TS give it back....

I got my Tung Sol's from Doug and they totally rock!! I put them at least in V1 of every amp I have. Too bad about the reliability thing. I love the tone/gain.

>|<>QBB<
dougstubes":6c6cc said:
>|<>QBB<

:o You know, I knew you were cheating on me!! If you cant use the TS give it back....

Hahaha!! Cheating!!! I look at it as not bothering you hahaha!! That said, You are my main man when it comes to tubes!

>|<>QBB<
danyeo":38922 said:
>|<>QBB<

V30's are wierd. I know they sound great in the Uberkab and if they sounded like crap why would Bogner, Diezel, Bogner, Marshall, Engl, etc. put them in their speaker cabs? They do sound good in the traditional Boogie cab. For me, it could be also that I'm just not into the sound of a 2x12.

2x12s by nature will have much more mids than 4x12 due to more phase cancellation/midrange dip in the 4x12. So in a 4x12 design, the V30 is much better balanced, considering how midrangy it is.

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":2fbd7 said:
>|<>QBB<

What do you know....you dont like boogies :roll: :D
i know I don't like Boogies! :lol:

BTW: I couldn't run Tung Sols in my Wizards either, they would just hum. In my VHT they work ok, don't really care for the tone of them. A friend of mine had some that wouldn't run in his Dual Recto either, really noisy. I swapped them out with chinese and solved the noise problem.

>|<>QBB<
Greazygeo":fb880 said:
>|<>QBB<i know I don't like Boogies! :lol:

BTW: I couldn't run Tung Sols in my Wizards either, they would just hum. In my VHT they work ok, don't really care for the tone of them. A friend of mine had some that wouldn't run in his Dual Recto either, really noisy. I swapped them out with chinese and solved the noise problem.

Seems like Boogies just don't like those tubes.

Back