Tung Sol preamp, V30 speakers.

• Thread starter Thread starter thiswaythatway
  • Start date Start date
>|<>QBB<
Chubtone":04b99 said:
I can't stand V30's for recording! Blech!

I'm glad I'm not the only one. But i keep hearing how good the standard Boogie 4x12 sounds loaded with them.

Andy Sneap and Fredrik Nordstrom pretty much only use V30's to record...and they've produced some of the most legendary modern high gain tones ever. I'm just saying.

Another late night of playing. I was able to get some better results tonight with the V30's. And i pulled all the tubes out of my amp and blew out the sockets and i was getting very little noise this time even with the Tung Sol in there. My amp is just whacky.

Maybe the problem has to do with the way the preamp tubes are biased in the Mark IV, I'm not the greatest at reading schematics and I'm far from an expert but here's what I can see. I'm looking at the schematic that I got with my Mark III so the specs may not even be the same between the III & IV but it looks like v1a has a 150k plate resistor and a 1.5k cathode, this has the tube running for harder clipping but it's certainly not anything drastic. Maybe NS had typical marshall like plate loads in mind when they designed that tube, I dunno I've never tried them, I've heard good and bad reviews. Has anybody ever tried them in a Soldano SLO? The slo preamp would be running the input tube harder in the same direction, they use 220k on the plate of the first stage, I can't remember the cathode, I wanna say it's 2.4k or 1.8k, anyhow enough of my useless amp nerding. I would be intrested to see if anyone's had problems with Tung Sol's in the SLO though.

>|<>QBB<
Megadeth7684":294a5 said:
Andy Sneap and Fredrik Nordstrom pretty much only use V30's to record...and they've produced some of the most legendary modern high gain tones ever. I'm just saying.

V30's are the speakers most used for Modern Metal tones from the 90's on up. IMHO they add a roughness or a grit to the sound. That said, I don't hate them but they are one of my least favorite speakers.

>|<>QBB<
Gainfreak":b5522 said:
>|<>QBB<

V30's are the speakers most used for Modern Metal tones from the 90's on up. IMHO they add a roughness or a grit to the sound. That said, I don't hate them but they are one of my least favorite speakers.

They work extremely well with low tuned guitars IMO, that's one of the main reasons I love them.

When playing in A I do not like the Greenbacks, the H30s are better but I am thinking that MC90s will be the way to go.

I need to find a Mesa metal grill 4x12 :x Christ I need more wall space for all this crap :?

>|<>QBB<
danyeo":e7b21 said:
Ha, looks like you read my mind. The 65's are pricey though. Amplifire has a 4x12 loaded with them. I compared the Bogner OS 2x12 to his Marshall 4x12 loaded with 65's. First i played the Bogner, then when i plugged into his 65 watt loaded cab and i got a rotten feeling in my stomach as i thought it shit all over the Bogner cab, although it is a 4x12 versus a 2x12.

Now where's phsycodave? He's got a collection of cabs in his basement. I was there a few weeks ago. Although when i walked out of his place i though the Greenbacks were the best. And the worst speakers i heard were his pre-rola Greenbacks. His reissues killed them, yup i was suprised. H30's are cool, and the 75's he had were ripping my face off with top end.

Heh, that was kinda funny. You read my mind! :o

I wish I could try the -65s. I might go with an Avatar with H30s though, because I plan on getting the new SigX which you can drop down to 60w. That might be a safe bet, and I love those speakers too. Although, I really want to try those 65s! Any idea on how much they cost?

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":ac678 said:
When playing in A I do not like the Greenbacks, the H30s are better but I am thinking that MC90s will be the way to go.

I need to find a Mesa metal grill 4x12 :x Christ I need more wall space for all this crap :?

You play in A?

>|<>QBB<
Nigel Tufnel":6cdcc said:
The slo preamp would be running the input tube harder in the same direction, they use 220k on the plate of the first stage, I can't remember the cathode, I wanna say it's 2.4k or 1.8k, anyhow enough of my useless amp nerding. I would be intrested to see if anyone's had problems with Tung Sol's in the SLO though.
1k8/1µF

Never tried them - I stick to my chinese ECCs and ELs.

Back